Sign in to follow this  
gamejutzu

Is LEGO being unfair with gameplay?

Is it just me, or is LEGO being a little mean.

1. In the LEGO Jurassic World game, the only agile characters are... Females (yes, i'm really doing this..) And guess what else.. They are the only ones with scream abilities as well. I mean, when you really look at it like this, it's a little unfair. I mean, characters in the movie that displayed zero agility all of a sudden can do all of this. And I mean every female character.

2. This is done in the LEGO movie game as well. Every female character including the grandma can wall jump and everything. Males? the green ninja. That's pretty much it.

And I know i'm not the only one thinking like this. IGN's guide commented on how the agility pants finally grant "equality between the genders" or something like that.

I mean, I don't know if they did it so people will play as ladies more often or what, but i find it a tad offensive.

Please don't hurt me. What do you guys think about this subject?

Edited by gamejutzu

I think at some point you gotta draw the line and say " Hey, it's a game, a kids game at that, what does it hurt?" Equality this equality that, it's not poisoning the children's minds for gods sake! :laugh: If your offended because female characters in freaking Lego games can jump higher then males...ummm, listen to yourself! My little sister has played Lego games with me for years and isn't bothered if not empowered by it! At some point man, you just gotta draw line and realize there is a difference between an innocent children's game and being discriminatory/sexist.

Edited by Im a brickmaster.

Yes, this is indeed affecting children on global scale. LEGO is creating unrealistic body standards.

Girls will grow up believing they'll be able to jump four meters into the sky when they're grown adults.

This will eventually result in mass disappointment for each of these children. On top of that, ninja academies will also see

a decrease in male participants as a result of little boys giving up their dreams because of semi-feminist indoctrination.

And no, this reply is not serious.

Edited by General Magma

Yeah... But... Why? Why not also make some males jump high? Why only females? I know it's not that big of a deal, but It's kinda bugging me, that's all.

It's not affecting anyone. It's just... There...

Edited by gamejutzu

I haven't played the games, but I don't really see the issue...? Who cares if they gave a bunch of female characters the ability to jump high? That's not even something usually associated with women or stereotyped? I don't see how it is really negative either? I dunno, maybe I am missing the point since I haven't played the games myself.

Guess you could make a MOD to fix that or ask Lego for a refund.

Meh... I guess it's just one of those things i'd like to see LEGO come up with an answer to.

It would be pretty entertaining.

Edited by gamejutzu

I thought the exact same thing when playing Jurassic World! It's ridiculous, honestly. Doesn't matter if it's a kids game, it's just lazy and a bit demeaning.

I thought the exact same thing when playing Jurassic World! It's ridiculous, honestly. Doesn't matter if it's a kids game, it's just lazy and a bit demeaning.

So. What. It's not demeaning in any way shape or form and it's defiantly not lazy...There are SO many more things that are crisis worthy that you could sweat over instead of then this.

(Drops mike) This is the last you'll hear of this from me

Edited by Im a brickmaster.

They're just re-using the engine from LEGO Indiana Jones where the women were given the Jump ability to make up for the fact that there were no Jedi (who had Double-Jump). Willie was the only one who had a scream, though. Eventually, the "Women Jump High" became a staple of the game engine.

So. What. It's not demeaning in any way shape or form and it's defiantly not lazy...There are SO many more things that are crisis worthy that you could sweat over instead of then this.

(Drops mike) This is the last you'll hear of this from me

What do you mean so what? This is something I paid for and I have a right to criticize a part I don't like. Almost all of the women can scream as their special power. It makes sense in some cases like with lex from the first movie, but other than that, there are more people in the movies than the women that scream. Its lazy game making. And yes, it is a little demeaning when many of the women in the game only scream.

Edited by Ultron

It is just a game mechanic. I mean, dude. It is discrimination that only Force Users have light-sabers. I think it is also very unfair that gold is only breakable with lazer powers and don't get me started on all the "stretchy guy" grates and how mean it is that the big characters can't build but raptors can!

It is a game. I have to say that all the LEGO games are pretty much phoning it in these days, so who cares that jump and scream is a "female only" "power" (Black Canary anyone?). If all and any character had the same abilities then the game would be declared "Broken". If they didn't have this "discrimination" then there would be other things to complain about. Heck, the last one I played (LEGO Batman 3), just as soon as I had Stargirl and The Darkest Knight I barely played as anyone else anyway!

So, chill, enjoy the game for the by-the-numbers comical romp through a familiar franchise that it is and then move on to some other one.

Female Lego characters can jump higher so they can reach the top shelf in the Lego supermarket and jump home to make dinner.

And that has put you on my watch-list. Have a nice day.

Man this is a real pet hate of mine, 'kids game' '1st world problem' yes you are right every problem on eurobricks is a 1st world problem, yes Lego is aimed mainly at kids. OK but we are on a site for adult fans of Lego so this is the kind of things that it is ok to talk about. The op didn't say it had ruined his life in fact he said "dont hurt me".

Edited by SMC

And you've been placed on Santa's list to get a sense of humour. Have a wonderful day!

You wouldn't think a racist joke is acceptable, thus this joke was not acceptable.

To be honest, when Lego games give female characters unique attributes, it's often to compensate for many such characters being less useful. This isn't a dig at Lego or the games themselves, but when you have a "damsel in distress" character like several of the ones from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Jurassic World, you've got to do something to help compensate for their lack of guns/lightsabers/force powers/etc., or they'll essentially be useless compared to their male co-stars in story mode who typically have all the same powers and then some. Giving them a double jump is a good way to give them some added versatility and usefulness without having to make up abilities that contradict their actual story role.

Besides, it's not like that rule is universal to Lego games. In the original Lego Star Wars, most female characters could double jump... but so could Jar-Jar Binks and a few others. In games like Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin, almost every character can double jump (justified, since most of them are ninjas with plenty of athletic skill). And in Lego City: Undercover, the only characters with any sort of double jump are astronauts who can wear jetpacks.

Tempest in a teapot.

All of the Lego games require using a variety of characters to complete the variety of tasks. Which is hardly limited to this genre of games.

Manbat and Vibe (Both male) have the scream power in the Lego Batman games. So does Kevin Smith who is overweight.

In the LEGO Jurassic World game, the only agile characters are... Females (yes, i'm really doing this..) And guess what else.. They are the only ones with scream abilities as well. I mean, when you really look at it like this, it's a little unfair. I mean, characters in the movie that displayed zero agility all of a sudden can do all of this. And I mean every female character.

I think it's fair the female characters get the agility. Many of the female characters in this franchise do a fair bit of climbing, Ellie especially had a lot of jumping and climbing (There's a whole scene of her leaping over trees to get to the shed). Lex as well is shown to be pretty good at climbing over the course of the movie. Tim meanwhile is afraid of heights and Grant is older and thus agility doesn't really make sense. For the second movie Kelly is a gymnast and Sarah does a fair bit of climbing during the Raptor chase. So I think it's fair to give the female characters agility as that's often what we see in the movie. Up until Jurassic World no women had died in the series, so I'd say those characters must simply be more agile.

As for the shattering of glass I'm guessing the reason men don't have that power is simply because their voices can't produce the right pitch to accomplish this feat (Or at least they're less likely too). I don't think Lego is trying to say anything offensive about women, simply utilizing the pitch of their voices for a gimmicky power. So ultimately I wouldn't read into it that much.

At the end of the day each character needs some sort of power for the game and not every character displayed special abilities of some sort in the movies. Ultimately the game designers filled in the blank using whatever power set they had already created.

2. This is done in the LEGO movie game as well. Every female character including the grandma can wall jump and everything. Males? the green ninja. That's pretty much it.

For that movie I'll say there's definitely a few male characters that could have used those powers, but then again some characters like Batman already have enough powers as it is.

Edited by strangely

It's a common gameplay element to switch to another character to use that character's unique ability to solve a current puzzle. If everyone had the same ability, then you would stay with only one character. And co-op play would just have the more experienced player doing everything.

Why the hell can only the characters with guns in their hands can shoot? Seriously they are spreading the disbelief that people can't shoot bullets with the palm of their hand. Stop creating false beliefs Lego!!

I just watched a video and the male character could jump what looked like five feet or so in the air, so it's already exaggerated. My guess is that the designers wanted players to be able to easily tell what characters have what special abilities. By having it generalized based on gender, it's easier to remember. "I need a high jump. Switch to a female character." If stories had to meet our ideals in all ways, there'd be no variation; they'd all just be the same story with people as we want to imagine them.