Sign in to follow this  
TalonCard

The Flying Dutchman set...

Hey everyone!

post-273-0-16249600-1363484085_thumb.jpg

I just noticed the new Spongebob Squarepants set The Flying Dutchman over at www.spielwaren-hegmann.de. Check it out here.

I know we were all hoping for a POTC Flying Dutchman, but I have to say, I'm in love with this little set. The tiny pirate ship is adorable, and there are new hats and other fun accessories. All you have to do is take out the Spongebob figures and you have yourself a pretty nice little pirate set. It's a nice treat in a year that may not have any Pirates/POTC sets. What do you all think?

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

TC

Edited by Mister Phes

Haha, for a moment I thought no way but then I read "spongebob" :pir_laugh2:

Now I must say spongebob has a nice pirate bicorner and there are actually some useful parts in this set.

Thanks for sharing :pir-classic:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Quite a neat little set with some useful parts. As you know Carl Greatrix(Bricktrix) made an official Lego Pearl which was stunning. Disney made him remove all the pictures for some reason, and I heard Jamie Berard mention at STEAM that it was on of the best models he has ever seen, so if Lego release one it will be that one. But I doubt it, I was speaking to a few designers and they said as there isn't a new film out this year so there probably wont't be any more POTC sets this year. I did ask about the possibility of a POTC D2C set but again they said unlikely, because if i look in front of me I will see why, of course, in front of me was new Medieval Joust set which is the 'big' D2C set for next year. I figured I wasn't going to get any other info, so I grabbed the new Black Falcon Mini-fig and got the hell outta there! :pir_laugh2:

Now who's up for make Spongebob walk the plank while drinking a bottle of cheap rum ! :pir_laugh2:

I guess some of the boat parts could be used for MOCing ships......my son wants one for a parade float idea of his. :pir-wink:

I've got to say with a cannon and some nice tile pieces and the palm tree leaves, if nothing else this will be a great parts pack.

When I saw it, I straight away wanted to get it as it is a nice little ship.

I just looked at it closer and I think the dutchmens hat is going to be a huge success.

Part of me still wants the Dutchman to be transparent, even if it's impossible..

I might get this though, it looks nice. :pir-sweet:

I'm definitely getting two of these babies. Does anyone know what the American price for this will be?

I believe this one's $24.99.

Hmm strange I don't see any Flying Dutchman set when clicking that link...

I'm quite interested if there are useful parts in it!

I don't see any pictures either, but if you search for it on Google images it should be on the first page.

This does look like a great set and it is quite a surprise! I can't wait to buy that Spongebob Pirate! :thumbup:

Edited by Hiawatha

After looking at this picture again, I noticed that the sail is a brick piece. This should really come in handy! :pir-sweet:

For those who haven't seen it yet:

3817_1.jpg

Like others have said, it looks like a great parts pack. However at $25 I'll pass, there's only so much of it I can use and I find the minifigs disturbing.

The ghost guy has a nice version of Blackbeard's hat from PotC, as well as a green scabbard! I can't make out what's in his hand. Spongebob's hat and Patrick's pants are also nice. You could use those legs with a fleshie pirate, I think. Actually, the same goes for the torso, too.

Beyond minifigs, some of those pieces have never been in green before, like the inverted arch and the "life preserver" pieces. I double-checked BL to verify.

That brown hull is new to me. Might be nice for making a smaller craft.

Oh, and that sale is not a cloth material; it's ABS, like a curved wall piece. Interesting.

Besides this Spongebob ship, there is also a Ninjago ship for next year that might have some interesting parts as well. I've only seen fuzzy photos of that though. It's sort of in the style of a Chinese junk, but you know... hyper-stylized.

Edited by Zeya

its funny I saw this set early and thought "I wonder if anyone at classic-pirates would care about this" and sure enough we do lol. At First I thought it was ugly and didn't feel like I needed it to complete my "Pirate Ship" collections. (Just like I skipped the junior sets) but now after seeing a larger picture I can see its use. The rock build looks pretty neat and I'm always looking for brown tile pieces. Also the Green hat and sponge bob hats are pretty awesome, and I can see the need for Patrick's shorts. Even the trans blue cannons might be useful. I also noticed Davy Jones probably has the same "Legs" as the Genie in the upcoming series 6 minifigs

Still 25 is a little steep, 20 would probably be better. I might buy it much later down the road if I need it to qualify for some sale or something.

After looking at this picture again, I noticed that the sail is a brick piece. This should really come in handy! :pir-sweet:

Actually, it looks to me like it is just a 1/4 cylinder piece like this 30562.gif?0 with printing or a sticker on it. The clips holding the cylinder on are standard clip pieces.

Is the boat's bow a new part? I haven't seen it anywhere before. Might be a good starting piece for building small pirate ships.

I think that the bow part is a somewhat uncommon one, but not a new one. I think it is also used in the back end of the helicopter in 3222.

The ghost guy has a nice version of Blackbeard's hat from PotC, as well as a green scabbard! I can't make out what's in his hand. Spongebob's hat and Patrick's pants are also nice. You could use those legs with a fleshie pirate, I think. Actually, the same goes for the torso, too.

Beyond minifigs, some of those pieces have never been in green before, like the inverted arch and the "life preserver" pieces. I double-checked BL to verify.

That brown hull is new to me. Might be nice for making a smaller craft.

Oh, and that sale is not a cloth material; it's ABS, like a curved wall piece. Interesting.

Besides this Spongebob ship, there is also a Ninjago ship for next year that might have some interesting parts as well. I've only seen fuzzy photos of that though. It's sort of in the style of a Chinese junk, but you know... hyper-stylized.

Sorry to disappoint, but that's not scabbard; it's just a satchel like Indiana Jones wears. Still nice, but maybe not as interesting to pirate builders. That's also why there seems to be something in his hand.

It's interesting to see the contrast in the designs in this set. The "island" is perhaps more detailed and less <insert that tiresome argument> than any that appeared in the 2009 Pirates theme. The secret compartment in the rock is excellent, and the dock's off-kilter boards seem like something from an AFOL's MOC, not a Spongebob set.

On the other hand, the ship itself is somewhat disappointing. I love many of the building techniques for things like the sail and the windows, but the poor organization of colors sort of ruins that for me. I think if all the Dark Brown were swapped for Dark Green (BL's Green) or Earth Green (BL's Dark Green) it would look much better-- also, if the "palisade bricks" were swapped for regular 1x2 bricks, since their texture fails to match any other parts of the ship.

Awesome, I want it! The Flying Dutchman ist one of my favourite characters :D I'd have loved more glow-in-the-dark pieces though. ;)