Hinckley

MOC: Temple Ruins

indexed.gif

After my collaborative build castle for ComicCon, I wanted to experiment more with flooded ruins. This is also a setting for a planned new comic I'm writing, previously called The Book of the Ancients, but may be going through another name change.

003.jpg

Flooded temple ruins found in the swamps of Del Tascus...

001.jpg

Vancent tells Shon not to enter the ruins, but something seems to be calling out from the temple. Shon finds himself wading through the swamp in the middle of the night to explore the ruins. He thought he was only dreaming, but the further into the temple he gets the more he realizes he's very awake. And there's another presence amongst the ruins watching him...

Some other images:

005.jpg

008.jpg

014.jpg

Check out more images on my website, BrickZone.net

Enjoy and, as always, please feel free to leave feedback. Thanks :sweet::thumbup:

Excellent work, Hinck. The stonework looks great, there's not too much flora and not too little, and being the only really warm-colored object in the scene, Shon draws attention nicely. The pastel colors underneath the water work well, also. I do also like the absence of any fallen pillars or walls; the dio isn't cluttered.

Edited by Brickdoctor

Ohhh, lovely! :sweet:

All the wonderful little greebling aside, I really like the overall design of the building. Very picturesque and evocative.

I really like the notion of buildings that aren't themselves submerged, but have portions of their interior below ground and submerged.

I was kind of expecting it to be sort of within thick, deep jungles, partially within a river or lake, or something like that (a very romantic notion), but then I realised it had been done before. :tongue:

In all seriousness though, great work, as always.

Fantastic work Hinck, I love the overall texture variation, particularly the randomness of the build of most of the parts that effectively portrays a ruined structure. Submerging it into a swamp is great idea too, highlighted by Shon making his way through the flooded ruins. Great job, I love it! :thumbup:

Wow, this is great work. I love the second photo :wub_drool: The walls I great especially where they show the crumbling rock. Very good use of the Gunray hat and a very nice MOC Hinkley

Most impressive. :classic: You really managed to create a weathered look by adding vegetation and having so many studs showing. Excellent part usage as well for the PoP helmets, the SW headgear thingy, and the outward facing plates with technic holes. It may be a little detail, but I really like those little columns and the half-stud offset you use for them.

I remembered in your Brickzone.net, mentionining the The Book of the Ancients but this MOC did not appear in there. I must admit that the structure for this whole temple is very impressive. You pulled it well enough not to overcrowd things with the right balance. Kudos to you. :thumbup:

That's very impressive. I can watch it for a long time and still discovere a lot of cool architecture. Well done with the ornamentations! :classic:

That's very impressive. I can watch it for a long time and still discovere a lot of cool architecture. Well done with the ornamentations! :classic:

Very nice work, Im interested to know what he finds!!

Wonderful MOC Hinkley! The height of the submerged temple looks spot on, and yr weathering effects and ornamentation are great too. :thumbup: I'm especially fond of the row of 2x2 plates with technic pin holes under the roof line - very clever, i'll try to remember that one. The one thing i'm not sure of is the water surface - the uniform trans-clear studs make it look a bit like a bubble bath to me. :look:

Brilliant MOC Hinckley, all the small detail in the building makes it look very real!

I would have liked to see one of those big trees just overhanging part of the temple and as some said, the water is a bit plain. Though I would like to see what effect the different colour plates underneath give.

Great MOC. I really like the idea to build a floating temple. Very well done and detailed and i love the water effect so much :wub:

It is great, altought it´s major color is gray, is a vivid MOC.

I like the columns; very eye appealing.

The part between the statues is nice, I can see you used a technic piece for the rounded but how you attached it to the back of the bricks?

I hope you will share the other MOCs of your comics.

And really expect if you make a ship, is not flooded. :tongue:

The ruins are stunning !

I didn't realize they were flooded though. I guess it's due to the rendering of trans tiles via pictures. Did you think about adding more of a muddy effect with more brown or green (moss) ?

Splendid job, as always !

I love these beautifully designed temple ruins Hinck. I agree with Jipay on maybe some lily pads and vines in the swamp water and the odd snake to help lift the illusion of water. The ruins themselves are superbly detailed and yet show decay quite well too. Well done on the mottling of greys.

I remembered in your Brickzone.net, mentionining the The Book of the Ancients but this MOC did not appear in there. I must admit that the structure for this whole temple is very impressive. You pulled it well enough not to overcrowd things with the right balance. Kudos to you. :thumbup:

:blush: That was such an old version of the entire idea, I've removed it from the website altogether. All the settings are being updated. The story is epic, but my budget is not. I am doing my best to whittle it down to just a few locations so I can get on with the story-telling before I re-design it yet again...or change it's name one more time...which I will.

Wonderful MOC Hinkley! The height of the submerged temple looks spot on, and yr weathering effects and ornamentation are great too. :thumbup: I'm especially fond of the row of 2x2 plates with technic pin holes under the roof line - very clever, i'll try to remember that one. The one thing i'm not sure of is the water surface - the uniform trans-clear studs make it look a bit like a bubble bath to me. :look:

It's looks like bubble wrap, doesn't it? Like I just laid down a sheet of bubble wrap and build on it. I think because I hid so many studs in the building and showed so many at odd angles that the uniform pattern of the studs on the water make it look not organic.

Brilliant MOC Hinckley, all the small detail in the building makes it look very real!

I would have liked to see one of those big trees just overhanging part of the temple and as some said, the water is a bit plain. Though I would like to see what effect the different colour plates underneath give.

I should take a pic from above...

I tried to get a tree in there. I think I will get one in eventually, but that will be a separate big project. I guess I'm being really picky about the look of the tree. Next to the texture of the ruins, it has to have realistic tree texture. And I really want it to look like a banyan tree. That will take a long time to figure out in LEGO. I wanted to get the temple posted. I will have to come back to the tree later. I think I will add some vines or something though, to bring the height of the vegetation up.

It is great, altought it´s major color is gray, is a vivid MOC.

I like the columns; very eye appealing.

The part between the statues is nice, I can see you used a technic piece for the rounded but how you attached it to the back of the bricks?

The pieces are connected from the bottoms of headlight bricks.

The ruins are stunning !

I didn't realize they were flooded though. I guess it's due to the rendering of trans tiles via pictures. Did you think about adding more of a muddy effect with more brown or green (moss) ?

Splendid job, as always !

I should try some brown. Or maybe even leave the edge of the swamp somewhere to give an indication that it's water.

I love these beautifully designed temple ruins Hinck. I agree with Jipay on maybe some lily pads and vines in the swamp water and the odd snake to help lift the illusion of water. The ruins themselves are superbly detailed and yet show decay quite well too. Well done on the mottling of greys.

Yes, vines would be nice. A lily pad too. What I experienced when building the flooded castle for ComicCon was that leaving too much at the surface destroys the illusion of depth, so it has to be a nice balance. I tried not to put too much in there but I should see how far I can take it.

Thanks for all of the feedback, everybody! :wub_drool:

Looks great, maybe i've learnt a couple of things i just didnt know... :wink: