cimddwc

Port Birch South - my modular station

Hi everyone!

For many months, my train station was almost finished - just now I took the time to populate the platforms and make all those signs... here's the result:

16037998866_5eb5200c53_c.jpg

» Flickr album with many more photos

My Lego town is called "Port Birch", and this is its South Station. I figured that only 5 tracks aren't enough for the main station of a town with trams, metro, and suburban trains (S-Bahn).

Architecturally inspired by several real stations and other buildings...

Back side:

15878023357_8993020350_c.jpg

Interior, from top:

16061847971_332bb3dbf2_c.jpg

Ground floor:

15877717469_6a921c4b08_c.jpg

In case you're interested but can't read it, this is the train schedule. Note that it's 14:58 now.

09:22 - IC 4558 - Hintertupfingen - platform 5 - indefinite delay (but it just arrived)

14:55 - IC 7740 - Stuttgart via Friedrichshafen, Meckenbeuren, Biberach, Ulm - platform 3 - delayed 15 min

14:59 - RE 2 - Lego City via North station, Belville, Legoland

15:12 - TGV 233 - Paris Est via Stuttgart, Strasbourg, Lorraine, Ch.-Ardenne - platform 2

15:17 - RE 2 - Chimatown via Springfield, Oletown - platform 3

15:29 - RE 2 - same as 14:59

15:40 - E 10194 - Istanbul via Wien, Budapest, Beograd, Sofia - platform 4 - reservation only

15:41 - RE 1 - Emmeton via East Harbor, Bricking - platform changed to 5

15:47 - RE 2 - like 15:17

15:47 - RE 1 - North station - delay 5 min

So you see, the REs (Regional Express) are local to this small country, while the others are more or less actual routes. (Well, except for Hintertupfingen, German name for a hypothetical insignificant village).

Second floor, offices:

15444139403_3323386266_c.jpg

Left: Station master with an applicant for a new job; center: secretary; right: security, sign control, announcements.

Toilets:

15444138653_3b88fe32a6_c.jpg

Waiting area:

15441492674_fc2727f95c_c.jpg

Third floor, café:

15441491294_b594e72ed2_c.jpg

Flowers and books:

16063794925_94ba41b88e_c.jpg

Back outside, we can see a railway official posing with a fez next to the Orient Express:

15878023997_e2841254aa_c.jpg

More photographers and tourists:

15876342898_1dab91ccf1_c.jpg

16061840481_3d62e5aeb0_c.jpg

A group of travelers in elegant (and old-fashioned) clothes going down to their Orient Express - well, looking at the top, maybe they will be down sooner than they'd like:

15876336968_652d24e0fc_c.jpg

On the next platform:

16038001886_6e31f0004a_c.jpg

Hoop diddy diddy, hoop diddy do... :)

16063092722_6ed5f095f8_c.jpg

15444141313_ea521eb079_c.jpg

15876337998_d383939315_c.jpg

» Flickr album with many more photos

Hope you like it. :)

Awesome. I love all the little details you put into it including restrooms separated by gender.

Absolutely great! But I must admit that especially where the Orient Express is, the small scale of trains in comparison to minifigures is bugging me. I didn't care for it before, but when you see all else done so well, you start seeing more other "problems" with Lego cities... I need to do something to stop seeing this ;) Making minifig-scale-correct train in Lego would be just too big.

Really nice build, grand building ,nice details like the station name and the train on the overpass,love the busy-ness of the cafe. Love the finer details on the platforms and your departure boards. As i am currently building a station from subway up it is timely to give me ideas for that extra detail.

Thanks everyone so far!

Mestari, yes, scale is always a problem in a Lego city. Carriages 8 wide and 50+ long, for instance, would look better compared to minifigs, but if you want more than just a station in a room, you have to compromise...

Wookiee, don't forget emergency telephones. :) I only thought about them last week, and I would have had to change too much on the platforms to put them at a decent place.

This looks amazing. Your attention to detail is unbelievable. Too many highlights. Brilliant work.

Edited by Gongoro73

Superb work. The level of detail is phenomenal. To be honest, I didn't notice the missing phones, but I don't think it needs them. Everything is Awesome!

I saw this on my phone yesterday, but I had to wait until I could see the images full sized on my laptop before I commented.

This is excellent work. I love the facade of the main structure - it's ornate without being too fussy and the color palette is very effective. I particularly liked the use of those monochrome minifigs as relief on the rear wall and the large glass walls to front and rear - it looks just like a station should.

And I really liked the interior vignettes you built throughout. I get a sense that there's a story happening everywhere and that we could all spend a long time just gazing.

Tip of the hat!

Simply grand: in scale, detail, and design.

Magnificent.

I actually appreciate that you included the collection of official LEGO® trains into such a wonderful custom layout. It adds a nice nostalgic touch.

James

Wow, absolutely amazing! Great attention to detail and I love the platforms, the trains in the station, and the huge-tall station. The colors work really well for a train station building. The front tall window looks exactly like a real station's front entrance. And the interior of the station is so cool with all the small shops, and are those lockers I see in the baggage part of the station? Clever and overall great design and a lot of hard work that paid off.

My most favorite part are all the small scenes going on in the overall display of the station and the mix of old and new trains!

This is incredible! Too many details to compliment them all but I really like how the exterior is reminiscent of the classic town train station(s), your use of "glass" walls and roof(s), and the train station name and train design over the tunnels/platforms - very very impressive all-around!

Impressive and inspiring! Love all the details and realism, nice to see that the steep stairs looks good, I have not dared to build them this steep but now I will get to it :)

Marvellous. I like how you brick-build the bow, and all the details that go on the inside. Excellent piece of work.

Thanks again, everyone!

and are those lockers I see in the baggage part of the station?

Yes, these are lockers - a good place to use these old colorful car doors. :)

I have never see a so wonderful station. It's a big one with so many details. Just perfect !