Triple F

Babylon 5 interviews, artwork and other stuff

Hi Triple F, and welcome to the forums! Seeing as Babylon 5 was a sci-fi series, this thread actually belongs in the Culture & Multimedia forum, where I'm sure it'll soon end up. :sweet:

But to answer your question - I'm sure there's tons of Babylon 5 fans around here, given the quality of the series. I'm definitely one as well; I think those are some of the best sci-fi characters I've seen on TV. The Crusade spin-off, however, was terrible.

Count me in the minority of Sci-Fi geeks that haven't seen this series. It's on my list ... but for whatever reason I never got around to it.

I agree, this is a better fit for the Culture & Multimedia Forum, so I will move it there and I fixed the title for you. :tongue:

Count me in the minority of Sci-Fi geeks that haven't seen this series. It's on my list ... but for whatever reason I never got around to it.

Shame on you :tongue:

Count me as one of the Fanbase, and yes, my favorite carachter is Vir Cotto :tongue:

Thanks guys. I tend to get lost - a lot - when joining new forums. ; )

[edit] and yeah, Crusade never did match up to the original series.

I actually have a reason for asking if here's any B5 fans kicking around as I have a little surprise for you, that you *might* like. ; )

Edited by Triple F

Same here. I'm planing to watch it as soon as I finish BSG (which could be a while, since I just started watching). Looks like an interesting show though.

Just curious. Like the title says, anyone familiar with Babylon 5 – though I imagine there might be. ; )

Did someone say B5?

We live for the One, we die for the One.

I hope this isn’t the wrong place to post this, or it’s an inapropriate thing to add to the forum.

Basically, more by accident than design a learning exercise in putting a web page together somehow ended up full of information and interviews provided by about a dozen of the FX artists who worked on B5 and the various spin-offs – they even sent over a fair bit of previously unreleased production artwork.

Here’s a link to a facebook page showcasing the site – the reason for pointing there will become obvious once you see it. So hopefully you’ll ‘like’ the thing for the reasons stated. . . . . assuming that you like it of course. ; )

http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls

Even if you don’t have a facebook a/c you can still use the link that you’ll see there to take you to the actual B5Scrolls website.

Here’s a small selection of images from the Concept Art section. All the artwork was sent over by the artists for inclusion to B5Scrolls, and are happy enough for all of it to be included in the download.

ArtSamp.jpg

Are watch out for the Shadows eh ? :devil:

I'm not a geek, but I'm a fan of B5....just right now I'm recharging my PPG and suiting up to launch my Star Fury. :grin:

I am quite the fan! I have started a rewatch last year, but got stuck somewhere in season 3. Will resume it as soon as possible :)

I love B5. I introduced my wife to it a few months ago, and we ended up watching through the whole thing. We still haven't watched Crusade yet though; I'm trying to postpone the intense disappointment of it (especially the score) for as long as possible.

I'm not as a big fan of B5 as I am star trek, however I have started watching it intermittently over the bast few months.

I cannot believe it was 1993... wow nearly 20 years have passed! Yes huge fan from the first episode until the end of the fourth season. The fifth season was a disaster thanks to the network and Crusade <shudder> was pointless.

My wife was such a huge fan she even got noticed in the printed Lurkers Guide for her online catalogue of IKEA furniture which filled most of the station. :laugh:

Funny story: we were on holiday in England the summer of season two I think. We had to cut short sightseeing in London one day to make sure we were back in our room at our B&B so we would catch the season finale. :hmpf:

Once you get through the first season, it gets much better

The problem with it is the same as Star Trek the original series, it's effects make the story hard to sit through.

The problem with it is the same as Star Trek the original series, it's effects make the story hard to sit through.

The effects where not that bad. The models where a bit low-rez but the use of cgi allowed a level of camera (and model) movement that traditional techniques like motion control can never achieve.

After speaking with a few of the fx people (the link on the first page of this topic) I really gained an appreciation of what (and how much) they did, with the budget they had. It was a truly ground breaking show on so many levels.

With it jumping over 500 since I posted the message about the facebook thingy, thanks to all those who ‘liked’ the facebook page – you know who you are. ; )

With over 1,000 new downloads, new folk are obviously finding the actual website and the information it contains, which at the end of the day was the reason for making a bit of a tit of myself by doing this.

It’s genuinely nice to know that some found it of interest, and that some of the work of some of the artists, without whom the show would never have been made, is getting a bit of an airing. ; )

Cheers

Tom

Rewatched the series on DVD. Weren't some of the graphics were generated on a Commodore Amiga?

Yes. Foundation Imaging started out on Amigas and used them for at least the first season. I believe the pilot was done using Amiga 2000s fitted with a Video Toaster cards & early versions of Lightwave 3D. I know that's what Ron Thornton designed the original models on anyway (I know this because it's what inspired me to start learning Lightwave myself).

I don't know what Netter digital used when they took over though; I suspect they'd moved onto Lightwave for PC by then, after Newtek unbundled it from the Video Toaster & started selling it separately.

Yes. Foundation Imaging started out on Amigas and used them for at least the first season. I believe the pilot was done using Amiga 2000s fitted with a Video Toaster cards & early versions of Lightwave 3D. I know that's what Ron Thornton designed the original models on anyway (I know this because it's what inspired me to start learning Lightwave myself).

I don't know what Netter digital used when they took over though; I suspect they'd moved onto Lightwave for PC by then, after Newtek unbundled it from the Video Toaster & started selling it separately.

Ron had been beta testing the PC version for six months prior to changing over to PC's at the start of season 2.

Anyway. Cheers, everyone who helped out with this – you know who you are. ; )

Even with all the unique content from a bunch of Emmy award winners, I wasn’t sure if turning up on forums or setting that facebook page up was a good idea. But over 4,000 folk have downloaded a copy thus far, which is kinda cool. ; )

Hey OP...

Babylon 5 is a big pile of shit.

He's just disappointed there's no PT Jedi in it :tongue:.

When someone recently read what’s on this link they got a bit annoyed and complained to NASA – stating the artists should be blacklisted.

http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=322007267887673&set=a.283248628430204.70587.178490865572648&type=1&theater

The response?

The Director of Communications at the Spitzer Centre thanked them – and added a new description beneath the image on the NASA, Spitzer and JPL websites – which includes the following.

In the popular TV series "Babylon 5" it is the location of the featured space station; as a nod to the show, hidden within the background nebula in this artist concept is a small silhouette that may be familiar to fans of the series. Can you find it?

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/1966-ssc2008-19a-Epsilon-Eridani-Double-the-Rubble

I guess that idea backfired a bit. ; )