Sign in to follow this  
Sting

Sting's Zero - A Prototype Gun Frigate

thindexedgif.gif 13c

On a lonely Tuesday afternoon I sat in my empty house with nothing to do. So I dug up all my lego from downstairs and built in almost one whole day what was to be my first true Pirate MOC, and my first real ship. I had made some Town ships in the past, and even a few small pirate ones, but they were never finished (never had enough pieces) so this was my first time ever trying to build a Pirate MOC for real.

Now, because of the rushed nature of it, there are alot of things I forgot about (mainly little pieces to hold the bottoms of the rigging down, a 2nd Mast, rope(more lazyness than being rushed, ect). I realized part way through alot of this so kind of just used it as a project to learn more about Ship MOCing. I learned alot and I know now my next MOC will be better... maybe it will even have 2 masts X-D. But there is still lots to learn. I hope you guys will not judge to harshly as it is my first Ship MOC. I will let the pics do the talking...

pic_1_small.jpg

Just an overview of the ship with the Pirates (or Soldiers...?) aboard it.

pic_11_small.jpg

Another view

pic_2_small.jpg

A top view. The ship is made with the thinner hull pieces available in 6271 Imperial Flagship. This ship is supposed to be a fast and agile ship capable of taking on much larger ships (as in my incredibly rough storyline, a ship about thise size (maybe bigger when I get working on the final design) has to take on a massive Ship-of-the-Line). But I am not sure if I will go onto detailed backstory as I rarely have time to write for it and it requires lots and lots of building and picture taking which I simply do not have time to do usually.

pic_3_small.jpg

In this picture we can see the rushed nature of the ship, as alot of the pieces aren't pushed down and fully locked into place.

pic_4_small.jpg

A view of the bridge.

pic_5_small.jpg

Another view of the bridge. The Captain stands on the special raised platform. The wheel is a 2x2 round brown "BarrelTop" as the regular wheel would not fit with the narrow bridge I made for it, and if it did, it would have taken too much space.

pic_10_small.jpg

Another view of the bridge.

pic_6_small.jpg

The front of the ship. I like the use of the 'gated' black piece as the platform here, as I am a big fan of any lego pieces that are 'latticed'. It looks really cool with a little storage area underneath it like I added. If you look here you can notice the rotating mini-cannons. I will add more on the next model I make, as the ship is supposed to go behind or in front of large ships and bombard them where they cannot use there higher gun count to blast this smaller ship the pieces. (This is all in my guess of how Sea combat takes place in my 'world')

pic_8_small.jpg

A more top down angle through the latticed 'gate' piece. You can see a bit of the storge I had put under there. There is a barrel and some "jars".

pic_7_small.jpg

The gun deck. Custom made cannons influenced heavily by someone at this forum (I forget who had this design, but I like it very much so I used it). I would use more but I was too lazy to go dig to find some more cannon wheels.

pic_12_small.jpg

Another view of the gundeck.

pic_9_small.jpg

This is just inside the Cabin. I would have liked to add some details and accesories, but in the end I found myself with a flawed design and just decided to work on basic structure of the ship (I have more expiernece with making furniture and decorations). All that is in there is a barrel and a bed. Exciting, eh?

Thanks for checking out. I look forward to constructive criticism and tips on how to do things better, as I definately want my next ship to be something I am proud of, and spend more time on. I did not bother with making or using sails, as none suit my Navy (I will try to provide a solid backstory for this soon, as it is fundamental to the black uniforms) and I cannot make any with my lack of time. String was another thing I abandoned when I realized I want the structure to be better. I will need to aquire some Black Flags or something that suits this army.

A few things to keep in mind...

I do not build for realism in ships. My general story line is more of a Fantasy Pirates thing. Kind of like an Anime or something. So I know there is little realism in my weapons choice, but I wouldn't mind tips on how to make the ships look a little more real in proportion and angles... as even in my 'world' the ships have to look mostly like they do now.

I mostly build to replicate Lego style ships, since I do not have the piece count, patience, or desire to build the HUGE ships alot of people on here do. The biggest ship I would want to build would be only slightly bigger than the Skulls Eye Schooner. I just simply like the design and I know it is within my abilities to build a ship like that. The Super Ships we see on this board and on other MOC sites is simply beyond me!!!

I look forward to it.

Here is the link to the BRICKSHELF GALLERY with the pics in it. Not many more than I showed, just a few bigger ones.

Nice little ship and a some good pictures.

I like those little guns you have on the ship and the colors also combine very well.

But if you see a ship-of-the-line, I suggest you try to outrun it ;-)

Just an overview of the ship with the Pirates (or Soldiers...?) aboard it.

pic_1_small.jpg

Congratulations of completing your first MOC Mr Sting, how do you feel about this achievement?

Is there any particular reason why you haven't specified why they're pirates or soldiers? Do you to keep us guessing or is there a story behind it?

Nice pirate ship sting!

i like the usage of the 2x2 round plate instead of the standard steering wheel. that's a good idea for those smaller vessels like the one you've built.

For your moc cannons you could use black or gray light saber pieces instead of the flag poles (if ya got em).

Hey sting, what set do those torsos come from that you have on your signiture or avatar (the mini-fig with the white hand and white shoulder pad thingys)?

Nice ship you made in 1 day!

The cannons are designed by Admiral Starwind BTW....

You call this ship a frigate, and I read you don't really care about realism, but you simply CAN'T call this ship a frigate, I geuss it is a 4 gun Brig...

And to Mr Phred, the torso of that guy is the bad guy in the newest orient expedition line...

Nice little ship and a some good pictures.

I like those little guns you have on the ship and the colors also combine very well.

But if you see a ship-of-the-line, I suggest you try to outrun it ;-)

LoL. Yes. As I said this is more of a prototype and 2 Cannons, 2 Minicannons and some mounted muskets wouldn't really do the trick. I will have to rethink my strategy a bit.

Congratulations of completing your first MOC Mr Sting, how do you feel about this achievement?

Is there any particular reason why you haven't specified why they're pirates or soldiers? Do you to keep us guessing or is there a story behind it?

I feel good about it, considering it was hastily built and my first time out. Next time will be much better. What do you think of it?

My entire idea for a "Pirate" creation to make it take place in Northern Waters. I don't want to specify where because I'd rather it be a fictional place so I don't have to worry about historical accuracy. I was thinking it would be an area similar to Newfoundland. This particularily place is so rich in gold, staying in the less than nice weather conditions (its not freezing but its no caribbean) is worth it. So all of my pirates and imperial soldiers will be wearing warmer clothes (I need to order lots of hoods, capes, bandanas, ect, ect). I would like to tell you what the story behind the pirates is, but I really don't know anymore.

My general idea, all in one breath, is that there was a group of pirates who formed to take advantage of the rich gold in the area. The leader of these Pirates ultimate plan is to take over the entire colony and thus control this massive amount of gold (with help from colonists and native populations) From here he can essentially have his own country. He gains alot of steam, but when one of his top liutenants finds out about the plan, and sees the brutal tactics this Pirate leader will do to get his way (obviously including mass murdering and other nasty stuff), he leaves these pirates (Or freedom fighters as there leader calls them) and decides has has to stop him. The Imperials are bad, but these "freedom fighters" have worse plans, and thus, we have the Zero.... which will hopefully turn into something mightier or his chances do not look good :-D .

Wow... a little more than a breath... but its something!!

Nice pirate ship sting!

i like the usage of the 2x2 round plate instead of the standard steering wheel. that's a good idea for those smaller vessels like the one you've built.

For your moc cannons you could use black or gray light saber pieces instead of the flag poles (if ya got em).

Hey sting, what set do those torsos come from that you have on your signiture or avatar (the mini-fig with the white hand and white shoulder pad thingys)?

Thank you. I thought it would work okay. I know of better, cooler looking ways I could have connected it, but I was rushed, so I had to get in on anyway possible. And you are correct... I will have to look through my gray or black to see if I have some of those poles... they would work much better for future designs.

And yes, as Mr.Tiber just pointed out, the torso comes from Lord Sam Sinister of the last Adventurers line, The Orient Expedition. Definately one of my favourite Torsos, although I have a few others in mind I would like to buy that go good with my black Pirates theme.

adv025.jpg

Theres a pic of him! I just added white epaulettes to him.

Nice ship you made in 1 day!

The cannons are designed by Admiral Starwind BTW....

You call this ship a frigate, and I read you don't really care about realism, but you simply CAN'T call this ship a frigate, I geuss it is a 4 gun Brig...

Yes, that would be him.

I only call it a Frigate for lack of a better word! What WOULD this ship be called than? a 4 Gun Brig (6 Gun If I had more wheels to put the other 2 cannons on the other side) works fine with me!

Thanks for the comments. I would like more and more and more... need more tips and inspiration!

I feel good about it, considering it was hastily built and my first time out. Next time will be much better. What do you think of it?

I think without the sails it looks incomplete and as though its missing a vital element. The structure is quite good however, and it appears you've used some innovations I haven't seen much of (if at all) like using arches for the cannon bays and lattice for winds in the stern castle.

Although with the lattice I'm not quite sure if it works for me, it would be interesting to see different variations of the lattice like using the x 2 high lattice instead or maybe a pair of lattice windows. But that would pose all kinds of design problems so its not a matter of just shoving a different piece in there.

i'd only call it a brig if you added that other mast.

it may be called a square-rigged sloop or something if you keep only the one mast on. a frigate would usually have three masts with at least 20 cannon.

Hey sting your stategy for this ship might be to sail to the stern side of a ship-of-the-line and blow away its rudder. Then use grape and chain shot to kill as much of the crew possible with minimal damage to the ship.

blurrycannon.jpg

here's a blurry pic 8-o of one of my railing mounted cannons. i've changed the barrel to drk grey but you'd probably want to have yours black

thank you mr tiber and sting for the info on the torso

Hey Sting your stategy for this ship might be to sail to the stern side of a ship-of-the-line and blow away its rudder. Then use grape and chain shot to kill as much of the crew possible with minimal damage to the ship.

The part of the rudder sounds okay, but how could this low ship possibly kill the crewmen on the top deck of a ship of the line?

To avoid misunderstandings, this is what I see as a ship of the line:

hms_victory_at_trafalgar_1.JPG

I think without the sails it looks incomplete and as though its missing a vital element. The structure is quite good however, and it appears you've used some innovations I haven't seen much of (if at all) like using arches for the cannon bays and lattice for winds in the stern castle.

Although with the lattice I'm not quite sure if it works for me, it would be interesting to see different variations of the lattice like using the x 2 high lattice instead or maybe a pair of lattice windows. But that would pose all kinds of design problems so its not a matter of just shoving a different piece in there.

Thank you for the constructive critism. I definately agree that without the sails it is very incomplete, so I am more interested in the structure. Thanks again.

i'd only call it a brig if you added that other mast.

it may be called a square-rigged sloop or something if you keep only the one mast on. a frigate would usually have three masts with at least 20 cannon.

Hey sting your stategy for this ship might be to sail to the stern side of a ship-of-the-line and blow away its rudder. Then use grape and chain shot to kill as much of the crew possible with minimal damage to the ship.

blurrycannon.jpg

here's a blurry pic 8-o of one of my railing mounted cannons. i've changed the barrel to drk grey but you'd probably want to have yours black

Tis a good strategy. Taking out rudders and going from behind and other dirty tricks are what this ship would have to use. Perhaps a super elite boarding party (these soldiers are already super elite in my books -it can take on anyone, even Mr.Phes's Spanish Inquisition forces.

I will have to steal your rail mounted cannon design. It is a good way of having them rotating and it takes up less space than mine. Thank you.

The part of the rudder sounds okay, but how could this low ship possibly kill the crewmen on the top deck of a ship of the line?

To avoid misunderstandings, this is what I see as a ship of the line:

hms_victory_at_trafalgar_1.JPG

LoL. An unfortunate truth. These guys would just have to board the enemy vessel, or loft deadly shrapnel onto the ship! That is actually an idea I have for my Demolition Ship I want to build (It is not a suicide ship (technically) but rather a ship loaded with barrels of gunpowder and some catapults and one-legged, one handed, and one eyed pirates to get this explosive stuff on board).

Thank you for the constructive critism. I definately agree that without the sails it is very incomplete, so I am

more interested in the structure. Thanks again.

I'll comment more on the structure later but now I've got a question in regard to mini-figures...

pic_5_small.jpg

It appears you've used two different types of mini-figure torsos here, is that to distinguish different ranks or did you just not have enough of the same kind to fit the whole crew?

Perhaps a super elite boarding party (these soldiers are already super elite in my books -it can take on anyone, even Mr.Phes's Spanish Inquisition forces.

Oh yeah? And what have these Super Elite soldiers done to earn this status? I doubt they're nowhere near as good as my Super Duper Elite Amphibious Conquistadors. :-D

(see anyone can say their forces are superior)

I will have to steal your rail mounted cannon design. It is a good way of having them rotating and it takes up less space than mine. Thank you.

hey i consider it a compliment if my lego ideas are taken, then that means i did a good job of makin it :-D

about the ship-of-the-line strategies, they could use grappeling hooks to get to the back of the upper decks (or lower decks' windows i suppose) Besides these are super elite pirates, they're good at sneaky attacks and taking on a whole ship-of-the-line. It's their specialty.

I'll comment more on the structure later but now I've got a question in regard to mini-figures...

pic_5_small.jpg

It appears you've used two different types of mini-figure torsos here, is that to distinguish different ranks or did you just not have enough of the same kind to fit the whole crew?

I will eventually make it to distinguish ranks. For example, the Torso that my Avatar is wearing is supposed to be for the basic grunts. The Red Beard Uniform with yellow Epaulettes (to be added when I focus more on this) would be the officers, and another Torso I am going to order soon will be for the Admiral/Commander.

Oh yeah? And what have these Super Elite soldiers done to earn this status? I doubt they're nowhere near as good as my Super Duper Elite Amphibious Conquistadors. :-D

(see anyone can say their forces are superior)

These soldiers are fighting for the freedom of humanity against a careless and unscrupulous enemy.(Kinda sounds like the Spanish Inquisition X-D ) They have seen the worst and will die to fight for there new home and so it never falls under the rule of evil. (LOL, In theory)

I guess the skill of these soldiers is lacking. But there heart is anything but. Perhaps I will need to create a super elite army that my soldiers can recruit to fight your Super Duper Elite Amphibious Conquistadors. Do you have a picture of such Conquistadors phes. The Morion wearing men in your Signature don't seem too amphibious :-D

I guess the skill of these soldiers is lacking. But there heart is anything but. Perhaps I will need to create a super elite army that my soldiers can recruit to fight your Super Duper Elite Amphibious Conquistadors. Do you have a picture of such Conquistadors phes. The Morion wearing men in your Signature don't seem too amphibious :-D

Hah- yeah, I would like to see them swim with their armor plating on!

I have been considering making 10 marines or so for my Imperial armory, but the pieces would end up costing about 6 or 7 American Dollars a crack. Maybe I should do it anyways!

Anyway, Sting has been busting out all kinds of old school creations and pictures he has found around, but I wonder if we are going to be something new soon, or a refitting perhaps?

I like the look of this ship as a small raiding ship. The structuring is nice overall and the scheme is well done, and there is some nice detailing in there too! I think maybe what Phes and Sting should fear is the impending doom of Bonaparte's French army of super elite, less than amphibious, but still larger than most armories around... army... full of... chums!

I will eventually make it to distinguish ranks. For example, the Torso that my Avatar is wearing is supposed to be for the basic grunts.

This that the LEGO representation of yourself? I thought you'd be more than just a mere grunt!

These soldiers are fighting for the freedom of humanity against a careless and unscrupulous enemy. I guess the skill of these soldiers is lacking. But there heart is anything but.

It takes a bit a more than heart to win a battle if their skills are lacking...

Perhaps I will need to create a super elite army that my soldiers can recruit to fight your Super Duper Elite Amphibious Conquistadors. Do you have a picture of such Conquistadors phes. The Morion wearing men in your Signature don't seem too amphibious :-D

+

Hah- yeah, I would like to see them swim with their armor plating on!

Those curiasses are also flotation devices, otherwise the Inquisition wouldn't put them on ships. It would be suicidal almost!

I think the minifigs are too generic. They are basically all black and all have captain like torsos, I mean they all seem to be the most important man on the ship.

I like diversity and color myself. I tend to use the generic striped torsos and the other pirate torsos at random. Occassionally, I create some black pirates or officers. Torsos that fit the pirate series well are the Sam Sinister one and the ones used in the Orient Adventurers line such as the one from Babloo and the maharaja and palace guard torsos with knife from 7418 Scorpion Palace. For a captain I might point out that the black Lego studios vampire torso is a good one as well.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=973px165c01

Anyway, Sting has been busting out all kinds of old school creations and pictures he has found around, but I wonder if we are going to be something new soon, or a refitting perhaps?

I like the look of this ship as a small raiding ship. The structuring is nice overall and the scheme is well done, and there is some nice detailing in there too! I think maybe what Phes and Sting should fear is the impending doom of Bonaparte's French army of super elite, less than amphibious, but still larger than most armories around... army... full of... chums!

I will be building a new ship for sure. I enjoyed building this one so much, that I want to spend more time on building a better one. I was thinking something in the Christmas Spirit... but still a nice ship.

Thanks for the comment... I don't think even Phes could take on Bonaparte right now.

This that the LEGO representation of yourself? I thought you'd be more than just a mere grunt!

LoL. This is due to my lack of better torsos. I will be aquiring some much more Captainy ones soon, which will than be fitted to my Avatar. *y*

It takes a bit a more than heart to win a battle if their skills are lacking...

Well, I imagine they would be excellent fighters... but not compared to the Super Elite Inquisition.

I think the minifigs are too generic. They are basically all black and all have captain like torsos, I mean they all seem to be the most important man on the ship.

I like diversity and color myself. I tend to use the generic striped torsos and the other pirate torsos at random. Occassionally, I create some black pirates or officers. Torsos that fit the pirate series well are the Sam Sinister one and the ones used in the Orient Adventurers line such as the one from Babloo and the maharaja and palace guard torsos with knife from 7418 Scorpion Palace. For a captain I might point out that the black Lego studios vampire torso is a good one as well.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=973px165c01

I do agree with you with the figures, as I did not have enough pieces and do not have any of the "Captains" black Torsos I wanted (I should do a BL order soon) (One of which is the good Vampire one you showed me). Once I get these torsos you will see a definte ranking going on with the soldiers. Thanks for the input!

I do agree with you with the figures, as I did not have enough pieces and do not have any of the "Captains" black Torsos I wanted (I should do a BL order soon) (One of which is the good Vampire one you showed me). Once I get these torsos you will see a definte ranking going on with the soldiers. Thanks for the input!

Don't forget to buy some viking heads. Especially the one with the opened mouth can be a mean looking pirate!

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb255

Also, the KKII Rascus head is a good one. Can either be used as a generic pirate or a Spaniard with his goatee.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb216

I love the Rascus Head I am surprised Phes has not used this for a Conquistador!

The Viking Heads are great for Pirates. Since the Vikings were almost like Pirates in real life... and since Lego made the Romanticized Image of Vikings, we get them in all there bloodthirsty fury!

Those curiasses are also flotation devices, otherwise the Inquisition wouldn't put them on ships. It would be suicidal almost!

Well I was unaware the Spanish were so forward thinking!

Besides Phes, shouldn't you be more allied with the British... I mean they probably did send your ancestors to Aussie land on a 7-12 year government paid holiday, did they not! :skel1:

pic_6_small.jpg

Are those two cylinders supposed to be the "mini-rotating cannon"?

Yes. There is a turntable underneath it too, so it can rotate.

Well I was unaware the Spanish were so forward thinking!

The Spanish only conquered 2 major Mesoamerican civilisations and gave diseases the rest. Much forward thinking was required for that.

Besides Phes, shouldn't you be more allied with the British... I mean they probably did send your ancestors to Aussie land on a 7-12 year government paid holiday, did they not! :skel1:

Alliances can change over the course of hundreds of years would you believe?

Yes. There is a turntable underneath it too, so it can rotate.

I think it would probably be better if you used light grey cylinders like normal LEGO cannons and a red whats-me-call it piece. I just can't think right now. I need sleep!

I understand what you mean. I should use that next time so it matches Lego's cannons and will look more like them... but because my ship is using custom made cannons, should I try to match it with what the main cannons are?

You're trying to make a smaller cannon aren't you? That being the case you should probably keep the design characteristic similar so someone viewing them can easily look at them and think "Ah yes, that's a smaller version of those cannons" whereas if they look different the viewer might need an explanation before they understand what they're looking at.

I suppose it all comes down to the design of the cannon, but in the picture above there's a lot of black use for the rest of the ship so some light grey would help distinguish the cannon.