I'm thinking of buying an 8445 Indy Storm race car from 1999. I can't really find large pics of this model, but I am wondering is it worth buying? The seller is asking $195.00 for it. Obviously with long since retired models and the old Technic studded and plate design it is worth a lot more than MSRP of $40 in '99 that I picked up off of Brickset. It does look cool and I'm into race cars, but just wanted to know the forum's thoughts before I pull out the cash...

Thanks, and all comments, good or bad, are appreciated.

I'm thinking of buying an 8445 Indy Storm race car from 1999. I can't really find large pics of this model, but I am wondering is it worth buying? The seller is asking $195.00 for it. Obviously with long since retired models and the old Technic studded and plate design it is worth a lot more than MSRP of $40 in '99 that I picked up off of Brickset. It does look cool and I'm into race cars, but just wanted to know the forum's thoughts before I pull out the cash...

The Indy Storm is a very nice set, but it is not worth anywhere near $195. None of the parts are particularly special, so if you couldn't find it for less you could build it for much less by just ordering the parts. I've got a couple of pictures on my site. The flex system front steering may be the hardest part to find.

racecars2small.jpg8445isosmall.jpg

I "accidently" just purchased 3 of them (I purchased a whole lot and there were 3 in there...all in unused condition) I will eventually put at least one into my bricklink store at a fair price.

If you would be interested I am sure we could reach a deal. Its a nice set, uses flex system and has the rare 14L yellow hose and metallic silver wheels.

You should check out bricklink. I think you will get a nice surprise :wink:

@rumpletump: Curious, what do you mean a nice surpirse on BL?

There is a good list of parts used in the 8445 Indy Storm set on this Rebrickable webpage. Brickset lists the Recommended Retail Price as USD $40 in 1999; there's a link to the PDF instrucitons there. Here's the Building Instructions image of the completed model (from Brickfactory.info):

071.jpg

@DLuders: I know, that's what stopped my before I bought it because the MSRP in '99 was only $40, seems like $195 was a lot, but really just wanted to know if you all thought it worth it 13 yrs after it was released...thanks for the pics

I "accidently" just purchased 3 of them (I purchased a whole lot and there were 3 in there...all in unused condition) I will eventually put at least one into my bricklink store at a fair price.

If you would be interested I am sure we could reach a deal. Its a nice set, uses flex system and has the rare 14L yellow hose and metallic silver wheels.

@nychase - just PM me if you want to strike up a deal...thanks.

The Indy Storm is a very nice set, but it is not worth anywhere near $195. None of the parts are particularly special, so if you couldn't find it for less you could build it for much less by just ordering the parts. I've got a couple of pictures on my site. The flex system front steering may be the hardest part to find.

@Blakbird-

Thanks for the pics on your site, you've got quite the collection of racers, awesome. I think I might just try to locate the pics, I did a BL inventory on it last night and there were some parts that looked very original, but I'm betting someone at BL might have some, probably have to buy from many stores to make the parts list I need. I do have some of them in my spare parts, but not the flexible hose or or yellow flex axles, it looks kind of like a 'poor man's' 8448 which was released in 1999 too.

change the search to 'new' (sets) vs used.. and you'll see there's 6 sellers with it, in the world, (one has 7 copies!!) ranging from US$65 -> $US170..

..so for 195, it had better have a few gold plated bricks in there!! ;)

RB