Sign in to follow this  
jp-30

Disney has shut down Infinities Toys-to-Life. What does this mean for

Disney has shut down Infinities Toys-to-Life. What does this mean for LEGO Dimensions?

It has just been announced that Toys To Life game Disney Infinity has been canned.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11637337

Disney Interactive has discontinued its Infinity line of toys-to-life games, shutting down its Avalanche studio in the process.

According to Infinity Inquirer, an internal memo cited high development costs and "the lack of growth in the toys-to-life market" as the primary reason for the cancellation.

The cancellation will cost Disney $147 million, including inventory write-down and employee severance.

Close to 300 jobs will be cut in the dissolution of the Utah-based Avalanche (not to be confused with the Stockholm-based Avalanche Studios).

The announcement explains, to a degree, Disney's decision to pull out of exhibiting at the E3 Expo this year.

Disney Infinity launched back in 2013, offering players a line of toys based on Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm properties that could be dropped into gameplay in a variety of combinations.

So, does this bode poorly for the other Toys to Life franchises, specifically LEGO Dimensions? Or is this an opportunity now to step into the gap in the market and get more Disney owned products that may have been Disney Infinity exclusives (DIsney classics, Marvel, Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc) into LEGO DImensions?

Edited by jp-30

Well I think the toy aspect of Dimensions is certainly superior to what I've seen of the statues used for other systems. It seems Infinity has been on a downward slide for quite a while, I saw their starter sets sitting at 50% off in well stocked end caps for months.

I'm hoping this means Dimensions will step up their game and add Disney/Marvel/Indiana Jones/Star Wars to dimensions, I mean, it's up to Disney really, I'm sure they wanted them in there but with Infinity... There's still the issue of DC and Marvel butting heads but we can hope. There'd be nothing more amazing than seeing Spidey, The Doctor, Luke Skywalker, and Batman all in one room.

Edited by legotardis

This discussion is already ongoing here in our Media & Gaming section.

Welp, Hinckley and I were both seeing into this at the same time.

If you have a non–LEGO topic, please post it in our Community section. Also, please do try to edit your titles so that they fit the character limit and more concisely communicate the point of your topic. Thank you.

This discussion is already ongoing here in our Media & Gaming section.

I will keep this thread locked here so that others may see the link (and since there has not yet been too many posts, otherwise I would move and merge this).

We moderated the same topic! :blush: Jinx?

Thanks for taking care of this. Sorry I didn't find the other topic. :thumbup: Hinckley out. I'll leave it to you, Cloney. Thank you.

I wasn't a fan of Infinity but as a Utah native the loss of the Avalanche Studio is a real shame. :( One of my childhood friend's father worked at Avalanche for a long time, but last I heard he is now at EA Salt Lake so he should still have a job... Still all of his former co-workers at Avalanche just lost their work :(

We moderated the same topic! :blush: Jinx?

Thanks for taking care of this. Sorry I didn't find the other topic. :thumbup: Hinckley out. I'll leave it to you, Cloney. Thank you.

Great minds move quickly alike, or something.

Since this is turning into sort of a general toys-to-life/discussion about Disney Infinity shutting down topic, perhaps I'll leave it here.

Sorry all for the mix up. Please do see the LEGO Media & Gaming section for the specific discussion about LEGO Dimensions.

Well, the plus sides to this regarding Dimensions are being covered in the Dimensions thread as indicated, but outside of that I would say that Disney dropping Infinity does mean that most figures should hit clearance this summer.

I've found them to be pretty cool collectibles in their own right and own several even though I don't play/have the game. If the prices get really low, I might even consider buying some for customs or repaint ideas I have.