I "stumbled" on a great video on youtube, of the 4th ITLUG Legofest di Ballabio 2009

Other than being a great video, I was curious about the beep that sounds when most trucks and loaders are reversing.

You will ear it if you pay attention.

I went to bricklink and peeron, searching for a beep sound brick, but I couldn't guess witch brick could actually be doing that sound.

Does someone here know how that sound is made? And if it's a sound brick, what's is reference?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Regards

I guess it is not made with an official LEGO sound brick !?

Don't know any with that sound.

EDIT:

Well went to test all my Sound Bricks and came to the conclusion that a setup similar to the Sariel Automated Trafficators, with an old electric siren (4774c01 or 4774c02) would produce exactly that sound. :classic:

Well went to test all my Sound Bricks ...

Thanks for your time and trouble to do all the testing, Conchas. :thumbup:

Appreciated

Regards

In this video at 6.10 is visible some non lego wires and something non lego beneath the roof in the cabin of the blue truck. I thought that was the device that provide beeping sound.

In fact it seem there are some custom wires connecting to the old electric lights (that flash when reversely powered).

Probably to save the space the 2x2 electric connectors, despite there is lot of free space.

Although don't know what is that, seen in the center at the back of the cabin.

There is always a possibility for the sound being produced with a custom device.

Nevertheless I found it is possible to produce the same sound only with LEGO elements.

The Code Pilot doesn't make exactly that sound though. The only beep-like sounds it has are the musical notes, and those can't be pitch shifted. The old 9V L&S sound bricks sound different to me too. This sound is actually much more like the beeps the Microscout (from the Star Wars Mindstorms sets) makes, but that thing is not programmable as far as I know.

The models are large enough to contain an RCX or NXT, which can easily make such a sound. However, from looking at that point in the video, I think it's pretty clear that he is using some custom solution.

Edited by CP5670

The part use in Code-Pilot that produces the sound is quite large. Almost like an NXT or RCX.

Despite both models ar quite large, it dosn't look they have such thing inside.

The test I made with the old sound parts with a cycling on-off setup, proven to produce a very similar sound (at least for my ears which certainly are not the best ones).

I've meanwhile found who are the authors from these two models and made contact. Hope to get some clarification about this.

The authors of these models are Cristian Sala (Tristian) and Fabio Sali (Fabione).

According to Tristian:

- The Buzzer is an electric circuit built by Fabione himself.

- The electric parts visible in the cabin is an old Racers remote receiver, modified by them and without the original case.

At this point I'm considering writing a novel that probably will be called "The puzzling beep" :sweet:

Thanks everybody for the interest on such an almost insignificant matter, but rather curious at the same time.

Thanks especially to Conchas for all the effort to solve "the puzzling beep".

Well, if it's costume made, I think with the right buzzer and a simple 555 oscillator circuit, that could be achieved, but I'd prefer to have all LEGO solution or otherwise I'll always be thinking I was cheating. :tongue:

Regards

Edited by Mortymore