Sign in to follow this  
jonwil

Is it possible to motorize the conveyor belt part?

Is it possible to power this conveyor belt part http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92715c01 with a motor?

I cant seem to get my motors (I have various kind of 9v motor) to actually make the conveyor belt move, not sure if the conveyor has too much friction to make it move or if I need to have more gearing down (decrease speed and increase torque) to make it move. Anyone ever gotten it to move and if so what motor and gears did you use?

I think I may have seen it used in a GBC before. You should be able to with the new Power Function motors. Are you using the old 9V motors?

Yes I have the clear 9v motor from the 4094 Motor Movers, the motor in the RCX 2.0 set and the old square-ish 9v motor. I don't own any Power Functions motors.

It has been used in a GBC display (no idea what time but it's far too late at night for me to try and find out, sorry) - that music loops throughout the video so I'd suggest muting it.

Thanks I knew I saw it somewhere before. At the 4 minute mark there are two of them being driven by what appears to be a PF XL motor.

I think the OP will have to gear down the 9V motor. Maybe a screw drive?

Edited by dr_spock

you can... but not sure if it's worth it.. it's very stiff to turn, and would require a bit of power, and gearing.. and ultimately, it's not a very long conveyor belt, and is no good for gaining height - the balls slip off too easily.

much easier to build one from regular tracks, and be able to get balls higher, and with less effort.

Not using it in GBC, its part of a Steel Mill I built and I dont intend to have any load, I just want something that moves so my bit of the train layout doesn't look so bland. Will pull out all my gears and axles and fiddle with things to see what gearing I need to use.

ahh.. in that case, it should be easy enough to motorise :)

Just remember to brace the gears well, so they don't slip!

A worm drive gear should make it slow, and strong