Hello everyone,

I open this new topic to talk about my last Moc: a European towtruck 8X2 ... which has some special features;)

That's the beast:

http://imageshack.co...7705/Ulstoa.jpg

Specifications? simple.

-Make A truck, compact, with lots of features, playable.

-A Reliable mechanical, without risk equipped with clutch (1) stop point, etc ... It is designed and destinated for my children

-Make My son happy as a king when he spends hours with his friends towing everything imaginable

I chose this scale for inventory reasons first, then because it's the scale that stuck best to the famous cars ta bo towned;)

This Moc use 84 toothed parts (+/- 5 close;)), 4 driving rings , a single medium PFS motor and two sets of LEDs

Motorized functions:

-front winch

-tilting cab

Main crane: Lifting

Main crane: extension

Main crane: winch

Rear stabilizers

Secondary tow arm: lifting

Secondary tow arm: lowering the towing plate

-The Motor M drives the fake V4 engine via a differential

-Leds Front and rear

The manual features:

-direction Via HOG on two axles with different angles

-Opening doors

-locking the Winch

-fake engine connected to the rear wheels via two differentials, one for the axle itself, the other connected to the motor M (see below)

The mechanical design is fairly standard in itself. The M motor drives the 4 gearboxes and the crown of the center differential itself connected to the fake engine. This design allows a rotation of the fake engine when the PFS is on, which is quite realistic. When you push the truck, the fake engine also rotates. There is no interaction between the two entries this means that rolling the truck is NOT powered.

For the rest? Well lot of gears, Multiple intersections and not only axles! it had to go around linear actuators too!

Finally? extra gameplay, an ultra fluid mechanics ( you can rotate the kinematic chain of each function from their arrival until the BV effortlessly by hand!)

Two other photos waiting to get my good camera and .. the sun and a video that certainly brighten things;)

http://imageshack.co...8197/g2nXPT.jpg

http://imageshack.co...5432/ErF752.jpg

Very cool! A lot functions from a single motor. :thumbup:

Also I really like the design of the truck, but those wheels are too small IMO.

Very cool! A lot functions from a single motor. :thumbup:

Also I really like the design of the truck, but those wheels are too small IMO.

Very cool , think the wheels are k the seems to be the same ratio as 42008 from what I can see . Might be wrong though .

Very cool , think the wheels are k the seems to be the same ratio as 42008 from what I can see . Might be wrong though .

Yeah I think you're right, it's probably just the angle then. Going from this angle, I feel like regular 62.4*20 truck wheels would suit the model better, but with the drivetrain converted to a 4x2.

Anyway, this is great MOC regardless. Good job OP :)

Edited by sm1995

Yeah I think you're right, it's probably just the angle then. Going from this angle, I feel like regular 62.4*20 truck wheels would suit the model better, but with the drivetrain converted to a 4x2.

Anyway, this is great MOC regardless. Good job OP :)

Thanks. A vid is beeing posted in a few days giving more point of view of the Moc.

Anyway, i try to get a 'cartoon design'. In this way, small wheels have a sens.

That wheels are not the 42008's one even smaller (F1 pullback set). This Moc is very small :)

Thanks @ all for kinds returns.

Here are some shots of modifications. Essentialy at design level.

PSaMT4.jpg

JLN9FT.jpg

KLBJ8G.jpg

AjHvQR.jpg

Hi everyone,

i make a LDD file off this Moc. Actually :1091 pièces for 31cm long, 10.5 wide and 14 high.

some preview:

hlXeB4.png

Good LORD.

What do all the gears do? Generally in these sort of cutaway views it's sort of obvious what does what, but all I'm seeing is a big block of gear teeth...

Need some colors, i think :laugh:

What do all theses gears? take a look @ the video:

Edited by steph77
: embedded video.

An incredibly complex and wonderful model. I like everything about it except the tires which seem much too small to my eye. My favorite thing is that you made it all work from a single M motor which keeps the cost way down compared to many complex MOCs and results in that wonderful gearbox. I also very much appreciate that you used a pole reverser which is so much easier to use than the battery box switch. I wish more official sets did this.

Finally, I managed to isolate the color schemes in LDD, here they are:

Things should be clearer as well;) Red and TAN circuits are those of the PFS alimentation and fake engine.

A chain is missing on the rear

oYRNS1.png

Top view

MRIZk2.png

T1rTeF.png

s4evWd.png

bottom view

lvpz6V.png

a2aLDb.png

Edited by steph77

Thanks, those views are very helpful in figuring out how everything works.

Good LORD.

That pretty much sums up my reaction to seeing the cutaway as well! :laugh:

I like it very much technically, but you seem to have a case of too small wheels syndrome going for you :wink: I imagine it would be perfect scale for the wheels from 42024 container truck, but the wheel arches and distance between axles would have to be redesigned

Overall very impressive! At first glance I was more like, meh, but the gear setup pretty much places it in a league of its own in this scale! :thumbup:

Really nice tow truck and so many features! I really like the cutaways too. It shows just how much work has gone under the hood :)

Thanks.

The LDD file is finished :1323 pièces

preview:

JHnNPc.png

ECXCHH.png

unfortunatly the file have 185ko so cannot be placed directly here :(

Edited by steph77

So here, I spent a lot of time to consider installing larger wheels, but unfortunately this means rebuilt the Moc

Then I went on the Mercedes website, and I could see that on the new Actros, the overall height of the truck is four stacked wheels.

So I resumed my Moc and found that the wheels are far from being out of range, they are almost good, for against certain visual elements were not in their place, for example the upper space above the wheels, etc. .

So I set out to change everything on the face and deleted elements above the cabin which has the effect of reducing its perceived height.

I modified the design of the headlights making sure of compatibility with the lifting of the cabin whose simple kinematics is reinforced by the fact that it goes to the millimeter. Ditto for the wheel arches where I could increase the turning radius while maintaining clearances millimiters to the wheels.

I think the result is satisfactory. Visually it's much better. At the back I replaced the 5X11panels by 3x11 panels that look better for the same reasons.

Then I tried to perfect camber. Unfortunately I short white beam 13L to perfectly finish the sides.

Finally, I took the idea of ​​Pierrolego16. I turned the wheels (it is true that the star wheel for a truck ...). and, in the rim , a simple bush does well the job.

Place to the photos:

Overview or we can see the wheelhouses detached wheels and balanced design,

vlBsnR.jpg

The balance between the passages of BC and rear wheels is better too, modification of the rear arm, the main mat, and various retouching,

Better integration of LEDs

LWDofk.jpg

Cab kinematics and design compatible headlights

dd65O7.jpg

UQWrgi.jpg

A6cMl4.jpg

ixPbQS.jpg

Integrating LEDs

C46aBf.jpg

FXVZO7.jpg

This is a good patch design that balances things to me; what do you think?

Edited by steph77

Stunning functions! I wish you'd publish instructions, could learn so much from this truck :blush: