The Kid

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures...

So, what do you think's gonna be in the new series? I've heard Davros*, and Peter Davison is in the Children In Need Special - he meets the current Doctor. David Tennant is rumoured to be leaving midway through the series. The current favourite replacement is James Nesbitt, I think.

*The return of Davros obviously means the return of the Daleks, but how? Perhaps the surviving Dalek (I forget which it was) finds Davros and they somehow rescue the Doomsday Daleks from the void? Or they simply construct new Daleks?

I was watching The End Of The World earlier today, and I noticed that Eccleston mentions being on a ship once; "they called that unsinkable too. Then it hit an iceberg and sank". Obviously this means Titanic, and the Christmas Special is on the Titanic - maybe Tennant bumps into Eccleston? X-D

TK

*The return of Davros obviously means the return of the Daleks, but how? Perhaps the surviving Dalek (I forget which it was) finds Davros and they somehow rescue the Doomsday Daleks from the void? Or they simply construct new Daleks?

TK

THIRD SERIES SPOILER BELOW - BEWARE

Don't forget that the Doctor has a Time Machine. Any enemy supposedly destroyed can reappear in the series at any time by simply going back in time. If the Doctor was to go back in time to when the Daleks were being created surely he could meet Davros. Obviously this requires the Doctor to be very careful when he goes back in time as the simplest error could change history - a common problem in Sci-Fi.

On that logic I'm not sure why the Master also couldn't return by the mechanism of the Doctor simply jumping forward again to the end of the universe and meeting the old master again before he regenerated into the new Mister Saxon version. I'm not sure if the Doctor's actions would have changed that timeline so presumably that earlier version of the Master is still out there. Indeed if the Doctor can meet earlier or even later versions of himself then presumably he can meet earlier versions of other adverseries including Daleks simply by going back to a point when they existed.

David

Edited by Dfenz

Ugh. Not looking forward to more Dalek stories. The last 2-parter was a major stinker.

And Davros... let him be dead already lol.

As for Cybermen... there's still the ones in THIS universe, though the alternate reality ones were sucked away.

Yikes... why do I see Dalek / Cyberman hybrids as new enemies of the Doctor? Two violent lifeforms, forced to merge in order to survive / escape the void.

>__<

I hope Peter Davidson shows up, he was cool in a weird way.

And not nearly as much a fossil as Tom Baker is now... less makeup to deal with.

::sees "The 11 Doctors" special a few years from now, the characters made up of life-like, entirely CGI past Doctors::

Damn, so Tennant might be out this season? They're burning through Doctors at an alarming rate.

Where's the good old Baker days, where you knew who he was inside and out? :-D

Guess this means the writers already know what to do when his available regenerations hit that scary brick wall in a few years.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

I've heard Davros

If they do Davros right (and I mean really right, like Genesis right) then that should be fantastic. Davros is definitely one of the cooler characters. The rumour is that he'll be played by Sir Ben Kingsley. Yep, Ghandi as creator of the Daleks...

David Tennant is rumoured to be leaving midway through the series. The current favourite replacement is James Nesbitt, I think.

Nope, that's been quashed. He's doing the whole series.

and Peter Davison is in the Children In Need Special - he meets the current Doctor.

Apparantly. That'll be good, its good to acknowledge history (or should that be time as a whole? ;-) ). You know why they've picked Davison don't you? Because he's the only one who hasn't aged.

I forget which it was

Caan.

I was watching The End Of The World earlier today, and I noticed that Eccleston mentions being on a ship once; "they called that unsinkable too. Then it hit an iceberg and sank". Obviously this means Titanic, and the Christmas Special is on the Titanic - maybe Tennant bumps into Eccleston? X-D

He's mentioned it a few times before actually.

So, here's what we definitely know. Agatha Christie will be the 'celebrity historical,' Donna will be back, Martha will be back around the midpoint of the series (with a few Torchwood appearances in the meantime), the Ood will return, but on their own planet I think I heard. We know another 'icon' will be back (probably Davros). I think it was said that the Master wouldn't be back in Series four, but might return later...

Edited by Brainbox

Am I the only one who doesn't like the formula they do the episodes in?

Like there's the "Hello!" first episode, a "celebrity historical figure" episode, a "lost on a spaceship episode", the horror episode", like 4 "returning enemy" episodes...

Well, on a good note, that cuts down the celebrity historical figure episodes down... can't stand those lol.

So over-done in scifi dealing with time travel.

Also, I'm getting REALLY sick of Bad Wolf, Torchwood, Mr.Saxon type foreshadowing silliness.

I like a little "unknown", y'know?

Am I the only one who doesn't like the formula they do the episodes in?

Like there's the "Hello!" first episode, a "celebrity historical figure" episode, a "lost on a spaceship episode", the horror episode", like 4 "returning enemy" episodes...

I dunno, there're only so many 'types' of episode really, so it's inevitable that formulae will be repeated. As far as 'returning enemy' goes, I quite like that. It gives the programme a fluid feel, whether something ties in to a classic episode, or one from the previous year. Unless, of course, it's a stupid returning baddie, like, say, the Slitheen.

Well, on a good note, that cuts down the celebrity historical figure episodes down... can't stand those lol.

So over-done in scifi dealing with time travel.

It depends who the 'celebrity' is. If it's someone really obscure, it could suffer from being boring, as absolutely no-one has any foreknowledge about the character so all that has to be explained. Use Shakespeare or Dickens, and (most) people have heard of them.

And, let's face it, what's the point of having a time machine if you only go to the future or the present? Historicals have always been, are, and always will be. Thankfully they're 'historicals with aliens' as opposed to the 'educational historicals' when the series was born (like The Romans, Marco Polo or The Aztecs).

Also, I'm getting REALLY sick of Bad Wolf, Torchwood, Mr.Saxon type foreshadowing silliness.

I like them. They reveal a teaser, but not too much, keeping our appetites whetted for the finale. And 'Mr Saxon' was less prominent this year.

Bear in mind that series archs have been done before, like The Key to Time series and the Trial of a Time Lord series. I like archs anyway (IDWs Transformers springs to mind), and the ones here are prime examples. Plus it gives the impression that time is all interconnected, and everything causes or leads to everything else.

I'd say they go Jurassic Park and use Caan's DNA to clone more Daleks. Or maybe they use a magnet or something?

Ugh. Not looking forward to more Dalek stories. The last 2-parter was a major stinker.

And Davros... let him be dead already lol.

As for Cybermen... there's still the ones in THIS universe, though the alternate reality ones were sucked away.

Yikes... why do I see Dalek / Cyberman hybrids as new enemies of the Doctor? Two violent lifeforms, forced to merge in order to survive / escape the void.

Damn, so Tennant might be out this season? They're burning through Doctors at an alarming rate.

Where's the good old Baker days, where you knew who he was inside and out? :-D

Guess this means the writers already know what to do when his available regenerations hit that scary brick wall in a few years.

I'd rather the Daleks pop up every three seasons or so- soon the 10th Doctor'll have more Dalek serials than most others.

I like the Cybermen. I'd really wanna see a kind of existiential episode with them [maybe the 'Doctor-lite' ones] where they contemplate what they were and have become.

Tennant out soon? Alan Rickman for Eleventh Doctor!

I dunno, there're only so many 'types' of episode really, so it's inevitable that formulae will be repeated. As far as 'returning enemy' goes, I quite like that. It gives the programme a fluid feel, whether something ties in to a classic episode, or one from the previous year. Unless, of course, it's a stupid returning baddie, like, say, the Slitheen.

More returning baddies, but spread them out like jelly on bread, I say.

And I'd like to see a 'historical'-in the Doctor's life.

Hope this isn't an American, Men in Black kind of Torchwood thing.

I've seen that before. Notice that the 'art' in 'department' is a slightly different colour. Hmm... could be just a place to display the concept art from the series'.

hewkii9: Alan Rickman plays a better baddie. He'd be better as a Doctor Who villian than the Doctor himself. ;-)

TK

hewkii9: Alan Rickman plays a better baddie. He'd be better as a Doctor Who villian than the Doctor himself. ;-)

You'd think so wouldn't you? But a few years ago, for the 40th anniversary, Radio Times did a special pullout celebration. This was before the new (Ninth) Doctor was announced, and Alan Rickman was voted as one of the top choices. I forget who the others were (I think Anthony Head may have been there), but I'll have a look later, see if I can find it.

Damn, season 5 won't be aired until 2010 due to Tennant being in Hamlet. After Season 5 he's apparently leaving. He will be doing 3 Doctor Who specials for 2009, though.

TK

Where'd you find that out? I just checked out Doctor Who and David Tennant on Wikipedia, and I found an article on BBC about the 3 specials. Nothing about him leaving.

Edited by hewkii9

Where'd you find that out? I just checked out Doctor Who and David Tennant on Wikipedia, and I found an article on BBC about the 3 specials. Nothing about him leaving.

It was in most of our newspapers yesterday.

After Season 5 he's apparently leaving.

'Apparantly' being the key word. Bear in mind that nothing's official till the BBC makes the anouncement.

I heard some where that the "rani" (that right?) will be comming back in one of the new series. She maybe the masters wife who then takes the watch and then it may tell her who she is aswell.

The masters wife thing is just me speculating but if she would come back the watch would make sence. ;-)

Yeah, his evil wife sure seemed like a good candidate for the Rani, especially after (I think?) that was her picking up the ring left inside his funeral ashes. Memory restoration FTW.

"rani" (that right?)

Yes.

She maybe the masters wife who then takes the watch and then it may tell her who she is aswell.

It was a ring.

Yeah, his evil wife sure seemed like a good candidate for the Rani, especially after (I think?) that was her picking up the ring left inside his funeral ashes.

We didn't actually see outright that it was her, but the speculation is that it was.

Hmm, the Rani was never really a big baddie. Sure, have her back by all means, but as far as 'evil Time Lords' go, she could never best the Master. Besides, I want the Meddling Monk back! :-D

Edited by Brainbox

I'm writing a fanfic about the Meddling Monk returning [hard to place it though, since it's set after the Master's latest apparent death but before Martha leaves], actually.

And did anyone hear the news about Sontarans and Rose returning for the S4 finale?

And did anyone hear the news about Sontarans and Rose returning for the S4 finale?

No 8-

Outpost Gallifrey.

From the Daily Star-

DOCTOR Who bosses are set to call back FOUR of the Time Lord

Edited by hewkii9

The Sontarans back is pretty cool news. Hopefully, the 'new' design will be faithful to the original.

Don't forget though that there's the supposed Children In Need mini-episdoe to come yet. Middle of November I think.

And didn't some of the Pompeii episode get filmed on sets left over from the BBCs drama Rome?

And didn't some of the Pompeii episode get filmed on sets left over from the BBCs drama Rome?

Yes, but they burned down. ;-)

TK

Brainbox, I just happen to have another tidbit that might interest you on that;

From the Sun-

Doctor Who legend Peter Davison is to step back into the Tardis