Time for a new project!

I've been wanting to use the 42000 hubs for a while, so it's time for an independently suspended car.

15544039850_efa4126384_c.jpg

UEV - WIP 1 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Already have AWD with 3 limited slip locking diffs and a fake V8 engine, as well as full independent suspension with shorter top control arms and caster angle up front.

Any guesses as to what UEV stands for?

Edited by Victor Kojenov (TFOL)

Is that ackerman steering?

I think, maybe (and it is probable that) am I wrong, that these hubs do not allow ackermann geometry without modifications?

Great concept (anyway), I look forward to see it grow !

And, UEV? Undefined Engineless Vehicle ? :D (But then, why is there that fake one in the back? :D )

I think, maybe (and it is probable that) am I wrong, that these hubs do not allow ackermann geometry without modifications?

It can be done, if the steering links are not parallel with the axle. Though this makes the suspension weaker.

It can be done, if the steering links are not parallel with the axle. Though this makes the suspension weaker.

Oh, yes, that's right. (when I think about it more than I have in the morning :D)

Universal Electric Vehicle?

What motors will you use?

Chassis looks solid but you have to know that using the 90 degree gearboxes will cause more friction because they have no point to lean besides the drive axle, so they will push on it therebye creating friction. Also the 3L axle may slide deeper in CV causing the 12 tooth gear to fall off with high enough load...

Finally an update!

15157187343_a7497a4564_c.jpg

UEV - WIP 2 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Turns out the first design was 4 studs too narrow, so I've spent the last few days building new axles. Features are still the same: Independent suspension, limited slip diffs, diff locks, different length control arms, and caster angle on the front axle.

Oh, and no one has the right name yet. Keep guessing!

Oh, and no one has the right name yet. Keep guessing!

Lego's are electric jobs, and you're building a vehicle.

For 2 points: "Universal Electric Vehicle".

But for Australia and Africa they are considered Urban Escape Vehicles, I believe. Not the same concept but since you're building with difflocks it could still apply even though it was stated above.

Suspension and drivetrain are complete, wheels are mounted, motors are connected, and...

15597986689_67e14d217c_c.jpg

UEV - WIP 3 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

...there's clicking everywhere. These longitudinal diffs seem to be creating more problems than they're solving, so I might just ditch the LSDs and locking mechanisms and make this model special in some other way.

To quote Senator Chinchilla: "Update! I've changed everything!"

15739098699_35e9cc45ea_c.jpg

UEV - WIP 4 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Spent about 9 hours yesterday working on the UEV. Totally new chassis, totally new features, and totally new vision. Probably needs a new name, too...

Your teasers drive me crazy. You're going to make me (us) wait just like you did with the Lower 40. Ugh.

I think my teasers look better than the models themselves :laugh:

Anyways, I started work on the front end...not too happy yet. I also need to order some more extension cables for all these functions :wink:

15746963810_0bc3d3dfcc_c.jpg

UEV - WIP 5 by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Wait, could UEV possibly stand for Undead Extermination Vehicle? That's the vibe I'm getting from this thing now. Also, what kind of suspension do you have now, cause it looks like you've moved away from independent.