SecondHandLego

Frank from Sweden going AFOL

Hi everbody,

My name is Frank and I live in Lund, Sweden.

The quick introduction: I've only recently become AFOL at the age of 45 and a half. My interests are in sculpture (how to make nice models with simple bricks) and technic lego (how to make nice models with the bewildering range of anything but simple bricks). I'm working as a programmer and drawn to Mindstorms which are - as much lego stuff nowadays - completely new to me.

Second-hand Lego is the thing for me, mostly because it is less polluting, although I don't mind to occasionally buy a new set.

My biggest problem right now is how to find time for my renewed hobby.

Finally, let me bore you a bit with how I became AFOL.

As a kid, I used to be a great fan of Lego - typically building mostly robots and space ships - but completely lost touch with it until about 7 years ago, when I stumbled into a toyshop and noticed the Creator Jet 4953. I bought it, built it, admired it and after that nothing happened for another 5 years. Then Wired mentioned the mobil crane mk II (42009) which I bought out of curiosity: to see how it compared to the very first mobile crane (855) (see also http://www.lego.com/en-us/technic/explore/designer-blogs/history-of-cranes ). That was a mindboggling experience. I felt like a neanderthaler and building the crane felt like more... Less than a year later I remembered that I was hoping to once have the UCS Millennium Falcon (10179) and I managed to find one on the Dutch website for second hand products. Boy, was I lucky with that find ... and definitely hooked again.

Welcome SecondHandLego!

I have an italian friend who was in Erasmus in Lund! He said that is not far from Legoland (Billund): have you ever been there?

:laugh:

Thanks for your welcomes everybody!!

Welcome SecondHandLego!

I have an italian friend who was in Erasmus in Lund! He said that is not far from Legoland (Billund): have you ever been there?

:laugh:

hej zanna,

No, I have never been there but it's on my list. I'm doubting a bit because I heard that the part with the lego models isn't actually that big. Others say it still great to see.

Welcome Frank!

It's good to hear your story of Lego re-discovery. I, too, was very fond of Lego in my childhood, but I didn't have the means to afford very much as a child and once things like college (and paying for college) got into the picture I was pretty much pushed into a dark age. For me, the thing that really brought me back was the Technic Space Shuttle 8480, then to follow that up with things like the sculpture of the Statue of Liberty 3450 and I was hooked. Lego became my vice of choice. It's become a very rewarding hobby and I've met some great people through it. May you have similar fortune.

Welcome aboard.