JudgeChuck

LDD - Unable to place a large group on a baseplate

Hi all,

This has been driving me bonkers, but there's probably a simple solution.

Simply, I am trying to place a group of bricks, such as a set onto a standard 32x32 baseplate in LDD. I can pick up the group and it looks as if it is okay, but as soon as I move it over the baseplate, the group drops down 4 or 5 bricks, so that it now partially sits under the baseplate and refuses to attach.

I have tried rotating the view and other things, but to no joy.

Any ideas?

Regards,

JC

Typically, my main PC's graphics card has just packed up, so I can't get the specific file, but it's easy to replicate...

Just place a 32x32 baseplate in a new LDD workspace and import the LXF of 21118 The Mine: http://bricksafe.com/files/stephan3321/LDD%20models/The%20Mine%20A.lxf

If you then try to move it over the baseplate, to place it, you should see it "dive" down a few levels...

If I can boot my PC up enough to grab the specific file, I'll definitely do so.

Thanks!

JC

No problem for me. I'm able to place the Mine model anywhere on the 32x32. The only issues is the the black spider that needs to be raised a bit first since it doesn't align with the stud pattern of the 32x32.

Please also note that sometimes it matters where you "pick" the bricks you want to attach. I've attached a picture to show you. If you pick the brick on position A, you'll find it in some cases snap to the underside of the plate, but if you pick it in position B, it'll always snap to the top side. In normal building you never think about this, because you intuitively just move the scene around a bit to get it to snap to where you want. But in some cases, for example trying to attach/align huge sub-assemblies to a certain stud on another assembly, it can make a difference.

Another similar case is when trying to place a 2x2 turntable with its top on (3680+3679) on a plate, in which the turntable will attach to the underside of the plate if you select them both and then happen to pick the top plate. The solution in this case is to select/pick the bottom half of the turntable (position C).

post-4755-0-27510700-1469193609_thumb.png

Ahh, it may well be something that simple, thanks! I wouldn't have been selecting the spider or any other figs, just the structure itself, but I was most likely "picking it up" high up on the group. One question that does spring to mind is how would the group snap to the underneath of the baseplate? Does LDD treat a baseplate as if it has studs on the underneath?

I've got to get a replacement graphics card, but will try your suggestion as soon as I can.

Many thanks!

JC

Does LDD treat a baseplate as if it has studs on the underneath?

No, but it will try to connect the baseplate studs to free anti-studs higher in the structure.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation... That certainly makes sense...

My new graphics card arrives tomorrow, so I'll be able to put this to the test shortly.

Many thanks again to you both.

JC