Sign in to follow this  
Mestari

[MOC] Modular Palm House

I'd like to present to you my latest creation that is the Modular Palm House:

DSC09094.jpg

This build took me somewhat under two months to complete (evenings only, of course). What I wanted to achieve was to capture some of the XIX and early XX century architecture. I hope I was able to represent neoclassical style well. If you can help me with some comments regarding this, I would be grateful. I am not an architect myself, this was just me feeling that it should look more or less like it.

Another thing that I had in mind was to create such shape of the building that was not done before. I know this is hard to do and there is probably someone that did this before, but at least I don't know any. This shape gave me some headache with the roof - there was simply nothing that really fitted well. Eventually I came up with glass roof which I like.

I had also some other problems with those walls - stability. The only place where this is fixed well is the place where it connects to solid walls. The central piece sits on a 2x2 turntable, windowed walls don't connect to baseplate at all. Not too comfortable to build or transport.

The mosaic was done first in MLCad, then recreated in brick. Otherwise I would have some serious troubles doing that right ;)

Now, the reason this build is a modular is because of connection standards that it has, as well as the sidewalk. Other that it only has removable roof and one, big module:

DSC09110.jpg

Here it the mosaic wall as seen from the outside:

DSC09090.jpg

And the other wall covered in ivy:

DSC09107.jpg

As could be seen from the "modules" picture, the interior consists of an island that is covered by exotic plants for minifigs to enjoy, there is a pathway around it, as well as ticket office (is that correct word for it?). The man selling the tickets can be seen from the front as well:

DSC09113.jpg

Because of the glass roof, I was able to play around while doing the photos and give some additional lighting to the interior using headlamp, like this:

DSC09114.jpg

And this is how my palm house looked like on an exhibition in Łódź, Poland:

DSC09014.jpg

DSC09021.jpg

For full gallery please go here:

http://bricksafe.com...ular-palm-house

She's a beaut! The mosaic on the side wall is nice, but the undulating walls with the profile and headlight bricks to give some texture are lovely. I like how plain and elegant the roof is, too - it only needs the tan 1x1 round plates as decoration but they work very well. Despite the building's unusual appearance, it works well with other modulars in context. Great job.

I love it! I love greenhouses (As I sometimes work in them) and the tree on the side, the fun flowing shape. the colorful greenery inside.

This is fantastic! It's a totally original twist on the modular theme, and would fit great in with the official sets! Plus, who doesn't love a great botanical garden?

Also, I think the word you were looking for might have been 'box office'. At least, that's what we call them in the good ol US of A.

Nicely done! An excellent design well executed. Good use of the available space inside. Wait a minute... Is that a gnome mini-fig I see in there? Nice!

Thank you all! Yes, there is a gnome in there :) Not really seen is also Lincoln sitting on one of the benches ;)

The problem with this building is it is hard to photograph the interior due to those high walls...

Very nice build, the curving walls are excellent, and the overgrown interior and tree mosaic are superb as well! :classic: The entry way details and minifigs are great too, and I really like the shot with extra lighting! :thumbup: Congrats on the well-deserved frontpage!

Wonderful detailing all around! The curved walls are definitely eye-catching, but I also really like the entrance way design, and tree mosaic :thumbup:

Lovely garden inside too :classic:

It looks excellent! Great job and it looks stunning in the display.

I did have one idea about the roof though - have you considered building a SNOT curve (using various Curved elements attached to the plates/glass) for the edge of the roof to replicate the sinuous wall shape?

I did have one idea about the roof though - have you considered building a SNOT curve (using various Curved elements attached to the plates/glass) for the edge of the roof to replicate the sinuous wall shape?

I was actually considering something a bit different too. I wanted to have an oval shaped glass dome that would be parallel to the entrance. Eventually I decided to go for the flat one. I would have to do too much international BL orders and I wanted to keep the costs low. Time was short too...

What a lovely botanical garden modular! They definitely need to make a modular like this for the busy city builds. Everyone needs a chance to return to nature and appreciate its sights and smells and sounds....even in the big city. The design and details are first class. Congratulations!

I think you achieved a great asthetic with this building. It is also refreshing to such an original creation.