Sign in to follow this  
Angeli

Duplo on basic Lego?

Hi guys,

I have some duplo animals, and I would like to put them on basic bricks (studs). As the baseplate has only few plates, how is it easire to put them?

if nothing goes I will put tiles and just one stud, and gravity will holde them, but I would like fot them to be firm grip, or as firm as we can do it :)

Ideas?

A lego four studs 2 X 2 section makes one Duplo stud, unless you have those single stud Duplos. If I remember correctly, you can put lego on top of Duplo and it sticks, but not sure about the other way around. I would have to experiment with this, as I do not have any Duplo around the house.

Duplo can be used on top of Lego bricks. the connection isn't as strong on it's own but across a large area works very well. (we use a Lego table for kids with Duplo bricks). makes it easy for the kids to build on a stable surface and then 'pop' the object off once it's made.

Edited by GallardoLU

To clarify, I believe he's talking specifically about affixing the paws/feet of Duplo molded animals to regular Lego bricks... and they are just about the least compatible items that Lego makes! This issue is that, while regular Lego molded animals work fine with studs (even the tail on rats being a good example of their typical attention to detail), so do Duplo molded animals, but only with Duplo studs.

That is, with a Duplo brick or plate you have regular dimensions that work fine with standard Lego of a similar overall dimension, but the feet on the animals are irregularly shaped and work fine with Duplo studs but don't have cutouts and thus intersect with regular Lego studs making a connection impossible.

I don't know how much space you have to work with, Angeli, but I have 2 suggestions:

1. The obvious. Put the animal on a Duplo plate, then connect the plate to standard Lego. Not a very elegant or clean solution, but it would connect and have appropriate clutch power.

2. This also isn't ideal, but might work for you. An old-style headlight brick with a 1x1 tile attached to the side stud will fit snugly in at least 1 of the feet of most Duplo animals. It's not a legal connection as it's purely based on friction, but it's secure enough to hold the animal upside-down but not so tight that it damages the bricks. The biggest issue is that, due to the placement of the Duplo stud-clutching bars in the irregularly shaped animal feet, usually only 1 or 2 feet end up with an orientation that holds firmly, and you can't predict the angle at which it'll end up. Since it's a 1x1 headlight brick, however, it's also relatively easy to connect that anywhere and rotate it arbitrarily so the animal is facing the desired direction.

Anyway, hope that helps or gives you inspiration. If you'd like to brainstorm with folks here some more, give us a bit more detail on what you're trying to build and I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks happy to help! :classic: