ED-209

Return of the Black Falcons

Hi everyone, Macoco gave me the idea that I really like. To rework the venerable Black Falcons to bring them more in line with the current Lego designs as seen in the "Fantasy Era" and "Kingdoms" lines.

(Thanks Macoco! :grin: )

Firstly, a simple repro of the original 1980s Falcon for anyone interested:

Falcon00.jpg

My take on an updated Black Falcon footsoldier or archer:

Falcon01.jpg

A knight, in the vein of Kingdoms' Lions knights:

Falcon02.jpg

And then I thought, "shouldn't the Falcon knight wear darker armour?":

Falcon04.jpg

And lastly, the ruler of the Black Falcons, a king or perhaps more likely a noble:

Falcon03.jpg

In my mind, he's named Baron Corvus, has dark bley hair and this head:

3626bpb399.jpg

Any suggestions or feedback is most welcome. :sweet:

Cheers!

EDIT:

Though, I am slightly picky, and do feel the need to point out the missing 'eye'. :wink:

In the spirit of accuracy, I've redone the insignia to be more accurate to the original:

BlackFalcon01.jpg

BlackFalcon02.jpg

BlackFalcon05.jpg

I also added a dagger to the nobleman:

BlackFalcon06b.jpg

Plus I felt that an archer should have a quiver strap:

BlackFalcon03.jpg

And I also played around with a two-tone tunic:

BlackFalcon04.jpg

New edit:

I've made an alternate set with the newer insignia that was introduced in the awesome Kingdoms Joust set 10223:

BlackFalcon01b.jpg

BlackFalcon02b.jpg

BlackFalcon03b.jpg

BlackFalcon04b.jpg

BlackFalcon05b.jpg

BlackFalcon06c.png

Also, I made a back for the two-toned archer as I felt it would look odd without the dark blue section (although I'd be intending him to wear a quiver, others may not):

BlackFalcon04c.jpg

I've also done some shields with TLG's new Falcon design. Straight up reproduction, plus oval and circular shields too:

ShieldFalcon01.jpg

ShieldFalcon02.jpg

ShieldFalcon03.jpg

Another edit:

More variations on the foot soldiers and archers. This time to include quartered tunics, with the modern insignia and in some darker colours as requested by Jakon. Having two colours on the tunic pretty much requires a print for the back too.

BlackFalcon07.jpg

BlackFalcon08.jpg

BlackFalcon09.jpg

BlackFalcon10.jpg

BlackFalcon11.jpg

BlackFalcon12.jpg

BlackFalcon13.jpg

BlackFalcon14.jpg

BlackFalcon15.jpg

BlackFalcon16.jpg

BlackFalcon17.jpg

BlackFalcon18.jpg

BlackFalcon19.jpg

BlackFalcon20.jpg

BlackFalcon21.jpg

BlackFalcon22.jpg

LOL Now there are too many choices! I'm not even sure what set to use myself anymore?! :wacko::laugh:

And ideas or suggestions are, as always, most welcome!

Edited by ED-209

Good job on those BF-updates! I really like those!

Be well all!

Cutty

I really wish Lego would rerelease them like that. I might forgive them for not reintroducing the forestmen in Kingdoms if they did. If I had any skill in applying decals these would so be on some of my minifigs. Great work!

Firstly, a simple repro of the original 1980s Falcon for anyone interested:

Though, I am slightly picky, and do feel the need to point out the missing 'eye'. :wink:

Most of you probably didnt notice anyways, and these are still awesome, and I will probably still use them. :laugh:

You should have PM'd me this thread, I would have replied and seen this early :grin:

Thank you very much for doing these! They are excellent I must say. :thumbup: I really appreciate you doing them and going above and beyond by doing the noble and black armor knight, which I think is more fitting for the Black Falcons.

Also for everyone else we also discussed doing another foot soldier based on this one however we agreed that simply changing the arms to blue and would work well.

I will be applying these as soon as I decide on a medium. Waterslide decals or any suggestions are welcome. There is no hobby stores nearby so I lack proper materials.

Thank you for doing these. They look amazing. I would use them even with the missing eye. Now, whenever I figure out how to use them I will.

Long live Black Falcons!

Great job ED-209. I think you nailed them down perfectly. I also think your choice of head for the Baron would look great with that body. :classic:

I must admit, I hadn't noticed it when I first made them! But I've redone the insignia now (better late than never?) and edited the original post to include the updates.

Cheers!

Very cool stuff!

you already know I am going to say good job dude, lol

I like how you moved the crest over on the "quiver strap" I may use that idea on mine if you are ok with that as I think would look a lot better than the strap going over like what I have now..

Soldier3.png thoughts? (and dont mean to thread jack)

Edited by b00sted

That is a cool Wolf Pack torso design and I also agree the insignia would look better moved away from the strap. :thumbup:

On a side note TLG gave us an updated Falcon Knight in the Joust. Now we have even more material to work with. :grin::wub:

you already know I am going to say good job dude, lol

I like how you moved the crest over on the "quiver strap" I may use that idea on mine if you are ok with that as I think would look a lot better than the strap going over like what I have now..

thoughts? (and dont mean to thread jack)

Thanks! :grin:

I just moved the coat of arms to one side because I felt it looked less crowded that way. Of course, feel free to do likewise if you like the look.

I must admit that I was given the idea to include a quiver strap by Thestral, back when I did a series of Elven decals based on the Series 3 Collectable Minifig:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50061&st=0

On a side note TLG gave us an updated Falcon Knight in the Joust. Now we have even more material to work with. :grin::wub:

Oh absolutely, and while it was a nice "nod of the head" from TLG to include an updated Falcon shield, I really wish they'd splashed out on a new torso print! Or at the very least, a blue plume instead of a green one! :tongue:

Although now that I think about it, if they did include an exclusive updated Black Falcon torso in such an expensive set, I'd probably be broke by now!

I also realised that I'd never posted the actual figures! These are the earlier designs before I updated/corrected the insignia. Foot soldier on the left, Baron Corvus on the right:

BlackFalcons01.jpg

Thanks! :grin:

I just moved the coat of arms to one side because I felt it looked less crowded that way. Of course, feel free to do likewise if you like the look.

I must admit that I was given the idea to include a quiver strap by Thestral, back when I did a series of Elven decals based on the Series 3 Collectable Minifig:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50061&st=0

Oh absolutely, and while it was a nice "nod of the head" from TLG to include an updated Falcon shield, I really wish they'd splashed out on a new torso print! Or at the very least, a blue plume instead of a green one! :tongue:

Although now that I think about it, if they did include an exclusive updated Black Falcon torso in such an expensive set, I'd probably be broke by now!

I also realised that I'd never posted the actual figures! These are the earlier designs before I updated/corrected the insignia. Foot soldier on the left, Baron Corvus on the right:

BlackFalcons01.jpg

those look sick, I have yet to actually do a sticker of any of design, I think once that happens I will find myself in trouble, and I promise this will be my last thread jack but since I cant PM on here apparently and want your opinion on things what do you think looks better? my first shoulder belt design? or my updated one? after seing yours I liked how yours wrapped the body more so I gave my hand on that. any feedback would be awesome then I swear I will leave your thread alone :P

test1.pngtest2.png

Those updated Wolf Pack ones look very good b00sted. :thumbup:

ED-209,

I too wish that TLG gave us a new Black Falcon torso in the Joust instead of a recycled generic Dragon Knight one.

Maybe when they revisit non licensed castle we will see it? :cry_happy:

I think I found a perfect way to apply your decals, I found someone who is able to print directly on parts, you simply mail the parts and email the designs and you pay for the printing service and shipping. I would need your permission to send your designs to be printed on the parts though. :classic:

*snip*

Now those are nice! :wub: Exactly how TLG would do it if redone. Great work! :thumbup:

those look sick, I have yet to actually do a sticker of any of design, I think once that happens I will find myself in trouble, and I promise this will be my last thread jack but since I cant PM on here apparently and want your opinion on things what do you think looks better? my first shoulder belt design? or my updated one? after seing yours I liked how yours wrapped the body more so I gave my hand on that. any feedback would be awesome then I swear I will leave your thread alone :P

Thanks, I always get a buzz when I actually get them on the figs! I like the higher buckle more, but I explained in a bit more detail in your thread. :classic:

I too wish that TLG gave us a new Black Falcon torso in the Joust instead of a recycled generic Dragon Knight one.

Maybe when they revisit non licensed castle we will see it? :cry_happy:

Me too! But if Lego were really clever, they'd do a modern version as one of the Collectable Minifigures!! Now that would be a real army builder fig! *oh2*

I think I found a perfect way to apply your decals, I found someone who is able to print directly on parts, you simply mail the parts and email the designs and you pay for the printing service and shipping. I would need your permission to send your designs to be printed on the parts though. :classic:

OK, I am very interested in this! I looked into it myself a while back but I couldn't find a decent price. You can certainly print them for your own use, PM me to discuss in further detail - I can adjust things to suit the print process if need be. :grin:

Now those are nice! :wub: Exactly how TLG would do it if redone. Great work! :thumbup:

Thank you indeed, although I'd still love to see an official one from Lego!

Me too! But if Lego were really clever, they'd do a modern version as one of the Collectable Minifigures!! Now that would be a real army builder fig! *oh2*

OK, I am very interested in this! I looked into it myself a while back but I couldn't find a decent price. You can certainly print them for your own use, PM me to discuss in further detail - I can adjust things to suit the print process if need be. :grin:

A new updated Black Falcon as a CM would be epic. :wub_drool: I would buy countless.

I PM'd you the details of the seller offering the printing service.

Seeing as how Lego seemed to be going for a darker falcons in the new figure, could you do a quarter square, black and white one with the new design?