Hey everyone!

Been fiddling around in LDD for a few days now, and finally have something decent enough to post.

I am working on this project with the intention of proposing it on Lego Ideas, however I would much rather know what you all think first!!

This project started as an attempt to place PF components into a model of a Midland 4F. The end result imho looks... boxy and generic to say the least, but that may end up being a good thing...? The dimensions in studs are: 34 long by 10 1/3 tall by about 7 wide, not including the side rods.

Front:

17911148058_47766d24f0.jpgMidland 4F(v3) by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

Back:

17476654504_3cf3fe3125.jpgMidland 4F(v3)2 by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

The colored cables are: red= receiver, green= motor, yellow= lights.

Below is a close-up of the frame setup. I REALLY like how this turned out, because:

1) it has space to mount an L motor!

2) I can change gear ratios from 5/3 (speed) to 3/5 (torque) manually!

17479455763_1e97e97f05.jpgMidland 4F(v3)3 by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

Please give me some feedback, all are appreciated!

I like it a lot! (And I barely post!)

I've been wanting to build a small engine, and this is inspiring! Boxy and generic isn't bad, especially if that means it isn't overly complex to build/find the pieces, and I'm sure it could be more fleshed out later. I would love to see how this performs in real life! Especially that technic frame built around an L Motor, very interesting.

Do you know how fast it may run

Well, according to Lego's element specs, L motors can get up to 380 rpms unburdened--

In the speed setup, 380 x (5/3) = about 630 rpms,

In the torque setup, 380 x (3/5) = about 225 rpms

Edited by M_slug357

A 4F! Thts so cool! (It was the only locomotive in trainz that did have functions.) i love it!! Reminds me ipof Edward and Donald and Douglas from thomas and friends (LoL) as for the train itself: the box-shaped firebox (belpaire i believe) looks cool! Although normaly tender Wheels whould not be coloured. But the coloured wheels do give it a funny toy train look. My overal opinion: great build! There are improvements to be done like the buffers but that is not a problem. Masterpiece!