Sign in to follow this  
Konajra

MOC/WIP Smit Zwarte Zee Ocean tug from1963

Hello everyone,

This topic will be about designing and hopefully the build of the Smit Zwarte Zee.

The Zwarte Zee was launched in 1963 and was the most powerfull ocean tug from Smit internationale sleepdiensten for a short while. It was wrecked in 1984 after several attempts to sell it, (to be converted into a yacht) did not succeed. For a lot of Dutch people this is one of the most beautiful tugs ever build.

zwartezee0vp.jpg

As a 14 year old I had build the wooden model of Billing Boats and turned it into a RC version. It was far from perfect but I was very happy with. I don't know what happened with rhe ship but I don;t own it anymore.

Somewhere in march 2012 I started with the wheelhouse. The reason for that is that I had not build a ship that was longer than 1 meter at that time. Besides that I did not had any idea how to build a smooth hull of 2 meters long and about 32 cm wide.

In April 2012 I had this:

7107248819_84fb5176a2_c.jpg

Bridge of the Smit Zwarte Zee by Konajra, on Flickr

A good start. At the end of april 2012 I had the wheelhouse finished.

6979643610_0360935c23_c.jpg

Zwarte Zee WIP (3) by Konajra, on Flickr

But then I still had no idea how to start with the hull. Other projects came around and I put the Zwarte Zee at hold. But after building my larger ships, the Fairplay and the Grampian Don. I had discovered new techniques how build a smooth looking hull.

But stil I wasn't looking forward to desinging the hull. So I started to build the wheelhouse in bricks after I had broken down the Calypso. That ship has been displayed across europe and it was time to take her apart.

10539982826_55005f26d3_c.jpg

WIP Zwarte Zee by Konajra, on Flickr

10539982786_8b64fdd32d_c.jpg

WIP Zwarte Zee by Konajra, on Flickr

This is the situation at the moment. Some other things came by and I haven't come any further yet.

Until the beginning of januari this year when I finally started with designing the hull in MLcad.

First attempt failed badly

12002646084_a2754c7867_c.jpg

zwarte zee by Konajra, on Flickr

12007919176_7f956f10f8_c.jpg

zwarte zee Ldraw WIP by Konajra, on Flickr

Normal slopes and curved slopes did not work here as good as they did on my Fiona coaster.

After four restarts I have yet a great looking hull:

12206288473_d106a03420_c.jpg

Zwarte Zee Ldraw Wip version 4.0 by Konajra, on Flickr

12296168696_e0365231d2_c.jpg

zwarte zee WIP by Konajra, on Flickr

Edited by Konajra

Wow! This design looks superb! And the part that you have brick built is also first class! Congratulations!

It seems that tugs are so necessary but mostly ignored in the model ship world.

Happy building with the rest of the model. Sorry that Sint Nick did not drop the remaining million or so bricks needed down your chimney on Dec fifth was it? Looking forward to your next set of photos!

Yes, december 5th. It will be a challenge to collect all the bricks without braking down my other vessels.

Looks really good. Especially the really smooth hull and the details on wheelhouse.

My father had a scale model of this ship, which was 60 cm or something like that. So I recognized this ship immediately. Great to see it in bricks now!

After a long time waiting for bricks,they finally arived this week. It is time to start building the Zwarte Zee.

14183053791_080cc1bb51_c.jpgBricks!! by Konajra, on Flickr

I will post updates regularly....

Wow! That's a lot of bricks, must be quite an investment. Anyways, your design looks amazing, very accurate. And the bridge looks great in bricks, so far so good. I see some great techniques and skills applied. Good luck with the rest of the build, and have fun with it, look forward to following the progress!

Please keep us posted with updates! And good luck with the assembly.

Oke, first update :) the start of the keel. the hull will be build in 3 sections of about 65 cm each.

14210432273_d6611cff15_c.jpgThe keel of the Zwarte Zee by Konajra, on Flickr

I know it does not look spectecular but I am sure that will change when the build progresses

Edited by Konajra

Yesterday evening I refined the bow and added a couple of trusses. Also the first colors have appeared. Olive green for the waterline and Dark red for the underwater ship.

14173659576_7545d3e231_c.jpgnext step by Konajra, on Flickr

So far so good! That is a whole lot of parts already... I will definedly stay tuned for the progress!

Looking good, and I am sure the result will be absolutly stunning!

Too brick-intensive for me, though... ;-)

Phew that looks like a lot time and money going down the river there! Really looking forward for more progress!

How much parts did you use so far / how much did you order for the whole ship?

It is definitely parsts intesive, but in order to get a strong hull this is for sure a good way. I ordered around 35.0000 bricks to build the complete ship.

I finished the second section the whole thing is now 166 studs long. The complete frame will be 240 studs long.

14216566471_3a8e3f619b_c.jpgSecond section finished. On to number 3 by Konajra, on Flickr

Now I have to build the last frame and then start closing the hull so that it starts to look more like a ship.

Edited by Konajra

Really interesting to see how you build your ship.That's a LOT of parts. The renders look very nice, look forward to see the rest of the building progress!

Wow! It's huge! Do you have an idea how much this is going to weigh? My best guess is... a lot :classic:

I have made some progress. The overall shape of the hull is fininished in bricks. At the moment I'm working on the reardeck. Details like portholes and anchor holes will be done later. Also you can see that the wheelhouse is a lot futher than shown on the earlier photos.

14284619445_a5855ef6b2_c.jpgSmit Zwarte Zee. WIP by Konajra, on Flickr

It looks amazing with the hull compete, it must be a lot of work with all those little tiles!

I cannot believe how fast you build! I'd be laid up in the hospital in need of back surgery if I worked on LEGO as many hours as you are putting in!

Looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it finished... At this rate, by June 1st?

;)