Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

60052 / 10200 /10219 diesel locomotive MODs

These locomotives are inspired by set 60052 (Cargo Train) in some respect or another. The F-10 passenger model takes cues from two sets, one being the classic 10200 (AT&SF Super Chief) with regards to the nose design, while 60052 (Cargo Train) takes over the design for the colors scheme. The freight locomotive is more a heavy duty 60052, with parts of set 10219 (Maersk Train) thrown in to make if beefier and more prototypical to the SD-40, which is a six axle version of the GP-40 it it was created to be.

F-10 passenger locomotive

25841401743_ea9434cb1f_z.jpg

This model takes cues from two sets, one being the classic 10200 (AT&SF Super Chief) with regards to the nose design, while 60052 (Cargo Train) takes over the design for the colors scheme. Since the last time I uploaded this model, I have redone the roof to make the engine the same height as my other diesels, and have redone the nose and cab windows. (again). The letters LCGR go on the bottom row of studs, while the numbers 3247 go on the top four.

26378050881_1ca8dee609_z.jpg

The rear of the engine units.

Loco statistics:

Engine Number: 3247

Engine Type: Diesel-electric

Configuration: B-B

Engine Class: F10-A (cab) F10-B (booster)

Designer: Electro-Motive Division (EMD)

Build Date: 1961

Builder: EMD

Current Owner: Lodi Clearwater & Green River Rail-Road

Top Speed: 70 MPH

25839378364_97d3af1a8f_z.jpg

This is the cab unit, where the engineer sits to control the train. This model no longer has an interior.

Fictional background:

These locos are from a experimental locomotive series called the F-10, which was built in 1961-2 on an order of 20 locomotives in sets of two (3240 - 3260) for the relatively small Lodi Clearwater & Green River Rail-Road (also known as the LCGR) by General Motors' Electro-Motive Division. These consisted of 10 A (cab) units and 10 B (booster) units, and were originally painted blue with black bases / roof lines. The principal use of the locomotives was the commuter trains radiating out from the city of Green River, Louisiana. The highest honor for these locomotives (and their engineers), though, was taking the Midnight Special from Lodi, Mississippi to Houston, Texas. The locomotives remained in service while the railroad bled money and deferred maintenance due to financial missteps and bad management to the point where a small derailment and fire led to the subsequent burning of the entire Susie Q. Bayou bridge in 1987. After that, most of the battered and weary F-10's were sold to museums or scrap, although five of the best preserved ones were upgraded mechanically and electrically in 1997. These final five serve the financially stabilized and better maintained LCGR to this day.

26444232285_91e9761e0d_z.jpg

This is the booster unit, which provides extra pulling power to the train. It does not have a cab as it receives orders from the cab engine via multiple unit control cables hooked between the two locomotives.

SD-40 freight locomotive

25041408916_5becd22ab3_z.jpg

Inspired by and mostly taken from instructions by Zephyr1934 for converting the 2014 set 60052 into a model like set 10219 (Maersk Train). The wheels, however, are modified from Anthony Sava's Alco MRS-1 diesel loco, turning this GP-40 styled loco into a simplified version of the Electro Motive Division type SD-40 diesel electric locomotive.

24440875443_3eb1eab81f_z.jpg

The rear of the loco features twin marker lights. As on the passenger loco, their is space for four numbers of the loco and four letters (yes, I need to update the pictures!) for the railroad near the nose of the engine.

Fictional background:

In August 1966, Electro Motive Division (also called EMD ) delivered a group of thirty SD-40 locomotives to the Lodi Clearwater & Green River Rail-Road. (otherwise known as the LCGR) These locomotives numbered 3260 to 3290 were immediately put to use in the Railroad's workshops, and moving cargo from any of number of smaller on-line businesses and facilities such as the relatively large Cosmo's Bicycle Factory near Green River, Louisiana. The SD-40's were seldom repainted in cash-strapped LCGR service, and quickly earned the name "Bruisers" for their battered appearance and worn black-and-blue color scheme, although the engines were repainted and upgraded in 2002. (though the name “Bruisers” seems to have stuck!)

24814481260_665c3d98b2.jpg

I made this logo by using the Rock Island logo and the font "Union Gray" to make the words. The name of the railroad is a salute to the band Creedence Clearwater Revival.

The name of one of this band's songs is "Lodi" while another is "Green River". (as seen my the logo) I also used bits from some of their other songs in the history of the railroad and it's trains, such as the "Midnight Special" passenger train and the "Susie Q." Bayou bridge. I've yet to write the whole history of the road, but that shouldn't be too hard to do.

This is all I've worked out so far, and Comments, Questions, and Complaints are always welcome.

Edited by Murdoch17

24442916760_ec704522b4_z.jpg

Sorry for the bump, but I added this passenger train to the first post. It was inspired by sets 10200 and 60052, but the windows and the profile bricks were inspired by this Hogwarts Express model by Kreativer Kombinierer :http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=120562

Edited by Murdoch17