LegoGarlicBread

Worst Sci-Fi theme?

No. Exo Force is the freaking best ever.

Worst: Insectoids or Unitron. As cool as that monorail was for Unitron it had four sets and then it went goodbye.

I don't know, their all pretty unqiue and have useful parts, but the early ones are the worst, which makes sense considering they were the first.

You guys all disapoint me... Why haven't you mentioned Galidor yet , thats sadly considered sci-fi isn't it :tongue:

For a system theme I have to go for space police 3. Sure it has new figs and new pieces but the bad to good set ratio is kinda depressing.

Most of the sets aren't very unique and most are just sets of tiny ships.

You guys all disapoint me... Why haven't you mentioned Galidor yet , thats sadly considered sci-fi isn't it default_tong.gif

For a system theme I have to go for space police 3. Sure it has new figs and new pieces but the bad to good set ratio is kinda depressing.

Black Rabbit, while I respect your opinion, I have to strongly disagree. SP3 has seen some of the most innovative starship designs seen in Lego Space to date! How can you not love The VX Falcon or the Skull Intercepter?!

Sorry, had to jump in and wave the SP3 defense flag there! default_blink.gif

While I love Exo-Force, the mech creators clearly had issues with designing the backs of mech legs! default_tong.gif

For me, the worst Space theme has to be anything with 'Mars' in the title.

In terms of ethics? Mars Mission, by a long shot. That was perhaps the most morally dubious theme I ever bought every set of. :blush: But aside from that, I cannot forgive the truely god-awful alien designs. Two pieces? How were they ever a threat to that suspiciously well-armed mining expedition?

I think that the Mars Mission alien qualifies for the title of the ugliest LEGO piece ever made.

I'd say UFO. It was a clever theme, but it really didn't fit in with other space themes at all. The ridiculously complex decals created an aesthetic that just didn't look natural alongside other LEGO sets or themes. Mars Mission, while not my favorite theme, is a pretty fine example of how that could be done better, using simpler decals with thicker lines.

Granted, I loved the UFO theme at the time, but after I had many of the sets there wasn't really anything that made them all that special. And I pretty much never found an appropriate application for the minifigs and printed parts after the fact.

The worst would be Roboforce - the minifigs were cool (trans helmets!), but the models were terribly ugly.

Edited by Corydoras

Why you guys hatin on SP3? It's the only space theme that I've seriously collected. Plus, it has a lot of new, great alien molds :thumbup: .

The worst IMO was Exo-Force, but only because it dragged into stupidity. (OK, now they're fighting in the jungle? wtf?)

UFO. I liked the idea of the theme, I asked sets for Christmas, etc. But in comparison it is the worst sci-fi theme. The pieces were over-decorated. But what I really hated were the huge 1/4 of a disk pieces. Every ship was basically four of those with few system pieces inside. The wing pieces were also huge. It basically left few to construction.

I did like the minifig accessories.

I cant say that UFO was all that bad. Sure large parts sucked, but then again, what did we get in Bionicle? Parts with VERY LIMITED use.Also UFO had one of the best helmet and armor produced by lego(only rivaled by old knight helms and new sp III helmet). I do agree on SP III; it does have some good things( great looking aliens, and both spacecrafts from 5973, and new helmets), but other than that I didnt liked it.That big ship(biggest one); where did the get idea to put "escape" mechanism on the end of pod? It just ruined the overall look of ship. Same goes for prison transport vehicle(that big wheeled one); it just lack something.... Also where the hell are AIRTANKS? Its SPACE police for sake!

Mars mission had some good sets, but those aliens just ruined EVERYTHING !!! 2 part minifig? arghhhh. Insectoids were a bit off the "normal" space (even UFO seems reasonable enough), but I did like their bubble helmets.

Its hard to say WHICH one is WORST, since each one had at least one or more good things too.

Edited by M:tron engineer

I must agree with Black Rabbit, Galidor was a terrible theme! But I think that it falls under Action Figures...

As for a Sci-Fi System theme... I would have to go with either Mars Mission or Insectoids. I was an avid collector of Mars Mission, but the storyline was very predictable, and the sets were often bland and repetitive of earlier themes. It based its setting completely after Life on Mars, and the alien minifigures in the first wave were terrible (despite that awesome glow-in-the-dark feature...)

Insectoids, while very innovative and different as far as a Space theme goes, were released during an unfortunate time when LEGO was over-juniorizing their sets and outfitting them with large pieces (including the sound brick). Though yet, Insectoids also remains one of my most cherished themes because of its sentimental value, and the concept of an alien-bug-cyborg race using insect-like starships and mobile bases... what an amazing concept captured during one of TLG's most inevitable eras!

Don't get me wrong, I have loved every LEGO Space theme released dearly, but if I had to choose from the 'worst', well, that is all I can think of. :blush:

Black Rabbit, while I respect your opinion, I have to strongly disagree. SP3 has seen some of the most innovative starship designs seen in Lego Space to date! How can you not love The VX Falcon or the Skull Intercepter?!

Sorry, had to jump in and wave the SP3 defense flag there! default_blink.gif

Innovative? Those ships are ridiculously simplistic compared with the ships from M:Tron or Space Police or Blacktron. The VX Falcon is mostly made out of large plastic pieces and the Skull Interceptor is a car without wheels!

Why you guys hatin on SP3? It's the only space theme that I've seriously collected. Plus, it has a lot of new, great alien molds :thumbup: .

That's the thing, it's the only space theme you've seriously collected. I don't know your age, but for you to say that, I presume you're too young to have bricked in the early '90s. Then, Lego Space was at it's peak: Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police, M:Tron...

Nowadays, Space Police has to share it's brick count with the "Black Hole Gang", which gives us two mediocre ships in one box instead of one great ship. Also Space Police 3 has a different inspiration than the ones who came before: while the space themes from the late '80s/early '90s reminded me of "serious" science fiction (Outland, Aliens, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc...), Space Police 3 is more like "LEGO Buck Rogers": science fiction as an excuse for silly plots, outlandish vehicles and men with bumpy rubber foreheads! I mean, 2009 SP3 didn't even had closed helmets!

(BTW, worst LEGO Space theme ever? Unitron.)

I have collected many space sub-themes and I think SP3 is one of the best. Sure some sets are meh. But we have the galactic enforcer and the VPR raid. Those ships look amazing. And although there are some large pieces, they are helpful pieces and I think that considering inflation the part/price ratio is at least as good as old space themes if not better.

I think the villain "cars" are really innovative because they look futuristic AND evil AND good.

Including two factions in many sets is also very helpful and much better in retrospective for kids than the themes of old in which each theme had around 4 sets and they were separated by a whole year so it was not really that easy to play with both factions unless you were persistant and/or rich.

I think M:Tron was an ok theme, but nothing really impressive. SP1 was nice but the color theme was meh. Blacktron are cool and all but they have had very few sets. SP2 was very cool and I loved the color scheme but it also had like 4 sets and nothing more...

More so , with contenders such as UFO, roboforce and unitron, it is very hard to see SP3 as the worst theme. They are at least average. But quite honestly, it is one of the best space themes we've had. With actually-alien looking aliens. Such variety in ship designs and the fact it managed to make use of modern pieces but still have good builds and designs.

I cant say that UFO was all that bad. Sure large parts sucked, but then again, what did we get in Bionicle? Parts with VERY LIMITED use.

UFO parts are freak large AND limited. It is really hard to use them at all in anything but the default sets.

Bionicle is not a sci-fi sub-theme ... Over the years it had limited parts and also very useful parts. More so it is a completely different build than LEGO system. It is a matter of taste but many people can do MoCs of various kinds using Bionicle parts.

Edited by vexorian

I guess I'm the black sheep here. Right now my display shelf is stocked with the three largest UFO ships, an army of Mars Mission vehicles, and several SPIII sets including the Galactic Enforcer. Insectoids was also one of my favorites, but I lost all of my older sets.

I can understand the Mars Mission hate, since the aliens were truly terrible, but the actual ship designs were pretty cool and there are several great sets (especially that huge tank-like mining walker). But I don't see why people hate UFO. Sure, the bigger sets were wonky, but the Warp Wing Fighter is an excellently detailed set (currently has a near-perfect review average on Brickset) and the minifigs are absolutely amazing.

And I can't understand the SPIII hate for the life of me. It's the best LEGO Space theme we've had in ages. The ship designs are great and we have a whole slew of awesome new alien molds. I can understand not loving it, but the worst LEGO Space theme ever? What are you smoking?

I would say Life on Mars. The aliens were cool but all of the sets were lousy, and their drab colors were closer to Star Wars than the traditionally dynamic colors of Space. Simply put, it didn't feel like a Space theme at all. Even Mars Mission had a few good sets and an interesting design style for the aliens.

I can understand the Mars Mission hate, since the aliens were truly terrible, but the actual ship designs were pretty cool and there are several great sets (especially that huge tank-like mining walker). But I don't see why people hate UFO. Sure, the bigger sets were wonky, but the Warp Wing Fighter is an excellently detailed set (currently has a near-perfect review average on Brickset) and the minifigs are absolutely amazing.

And I can't understand the SPIII hate for the life of me. It's the best LEGO Space theme we've had in ages. The ship designs are great and we have a whole slew of awesome new alien molds. I can understand not loving it, but the worst LEGO Space theme ever? What are you smoking?

I agree, the Warp Wing Fighter was one of the best space sets ever. UFO was a pretty hit-or-miss theme, but it was no worse than several other themes in that respect.

SP3 is one of the best themes ever for me. Not all the sets are great, but that could be also said about most of the old space themes, and there are still quite a few gems there, especially among the larger sets. As an overall theme, the story and characters TLG has built up for it go well beyond any of the old space themes.

I guess I'm the black sheep here. Right now my display shelf is stocked with the three largest UFO ships, an army of Mars Mission vehicles, and several SPIII sets including the Galactic Enforcer. Insectoids was also one of my favorites, but I lost all of my older sets.

I did like UFO sets themselves, the warp wing fighter is my second favorite though, after the large UFO thing that was also a base.

I took a look to the VX-falcon pics (I don't have it) , and honestly, the trust design alone makes it an above than average space ship.

Including two factions in many sets is also very helpful and much better in retrospective for kids than the themes of old in which each theme had around 4 sets and they were separated by a whole year so it was not really that easy to play with both factions unless you were persistant and/or rich.

I think M:Tron was an ok theme, but nothing really impressive. SP1 was nice but the color theme was meh. Blacktron are cool and all but they have had very few sets. SP2 was very cool and I loved the color scheme but it also had like 4 sets and nothing more...

I still rather see single set(only one faction), but good one, than two fractions in single set, but "just usual" appearance(model). As for Mtrons and SP's(old ones):show me better set in SP III line(released till now) that can compare to Mega core magnetizer. Sure they didnt offer that much playability as new SP line, but dont forget that, those sets are like 20 years old. From point of visual appearance i say that old space sets were much better(ice planet spaceship, exploriens spaceship, SP I and II spaceship, blacktron I spaceship). But then again, im emotionaly tied to all those sets from early 90's, so this might be a bit biased toward older sets.

I do like new minifigs in SP III line, especially aliens, but sets for themself doesnt apeal me(except for 5973).I guess they had to make new sets more TFOL oriented, since AFOL dont spend enough on new sets(excluded rare and exclusive sets)...

From point of visual appearance i say that old space sets were much better(ice planet spaceship, exploriens spaceship, SP I and II spaceship, blacktron I spaceship)

If you're talking about the Renegade, that set is pretty terrible and I much prefer the Galactic Enforcer.

I'll agree though that the highlights from the early 90s are a good deal more visually appealing than most of the SPIII line. Especially that M-Tron rover base thing. I'm just saying, SPIII is still pretty good. Hyperspeed Pursuit in particular is a well-polished, AFOL-oriented set. I don't understand how you could say it's the worst Space theme ever. That just seems ridiculous.

Edited by Algernon

The worst IMO was Exo-Force, but only because it dragged into stupidity. (OK, now they're fighting in the jungle? wtf?)

It's the only space theme you've seriously collected so that would mean your opinions are a little biased.New alien molds also aren't the best thing to base a whole theme on.

Whats wrong with the jungle? sure it lacked the industrial look of the first wave but it was still an intresting change , it just seemed a little rushed because it was the last wave.

Innovative? Those ships are ridiculously simplistic compared with the ships from M:Tron or Space Police or Blacktron. The VX Falcon is mostly made out of large plastic pieces and the Skull Interceptor is a car without wheels!

That's the thing, it's the only space theme you've seriously collected. I don't know your age, but for you to say that, I presume you're too young to have bricked in the early '90s. Then, Lego Space was at it's peak: Futuron, Blacktron, Space Police, M:Tron...

Nowadays, Space Police has to share it's brick count with the "Black Hole Gang", which gives us two mediocre ships in one box instead of one great ship. Also Space Police 3 has a different inspiration than the ones who came before: while the space themes from the late '80s/early '90s reminded me of "serious" science fiction (Outland, Aliens, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc...), Space Police 3 is more like "LEGO Buck Rogers": science fiction as an excuse for silly plots, outlandish vehicles and men with bumpy rubber foreheads! I mean, 2009 SP3 didn't even had closed helmets!

(BTW, worst LEGO Space theme ever? Unitron.)

You pretty much summed up my whole opinion of space police right there. I gotta agree that having two ship designs in one box takes away from the design of both.

You guys all disapoint me... Why haven't you mentioned Galidor yet , thats sadly considered sci-fi isn't it :tongue:

What is Galidor???

I think that SP3 is the worst. (I just don't like it)

As someone approaching 30 (only 6 months left to go... default_cry4.gif ), I well remember all Space themes, from Classic Space right through to Exploriens (the last Space theme I collected before my Dark Age began).

I've collected and built a fair amount of the sets inbetween (except Unitron, none here in the UK), and can honestly say that I still think SP3 is one fo the best Space themes we've had to date. To say that 5973 is lacking because it has two ships in there as opposed to one is nuts, in my opinion (which is all it is). Instead of two poorly designed ships, we got two very well designed ships, both capturing diffrent elements and essences of space. I mean come on, one of them is a freakin space hotrod for crying out loud! Whats not to love?!

As Nabii commented in a thread floating round here somewhere, the difference between SP3 and the sets of the 80's and 90's is we're not kids anymore, and that wonderous feeling of adventure and whimsy are gone. Sure, we're enthusiastic about Lego, we still love it to bits, but very few of us can summmon that childish imagination that fueled us so long ago.

It all boils down to the fact that we've grown up. And to quote the 11th Doctor, 'You never want to do that.'.

Just my ten pence worth.

Edited by KurttKrueger