LucasLaughing

[O - F09] Eaters of Metal

Tags: Octan, Exploration

Lu's Log - 04 Oktobrinali 3815

I'm back! I've spent the last few months working as the navigator on a refueling vessel; interesting work, to be sure, and I'm glad to do my part to help the fleet, but gods it feels good to get my feet on solid ground again! Or, in this case, mostly solid ground.

The vast majority of Arium Minor is covered by majestic mountain ranges, but there are still some places where the fire in the belly of the planet comes to the surface.

21768774520_4981c654e7_c.jpg

My task today is to put one of the new "Metal Eater" units through it's paces; I'll also be field testing one of our new thermal-resistant suits.

21768770510_2c905c11c9_c.jpg

The name "Metal Eater" is a bit of a misnomer, as the unit can actually "digest" damn near any material, breaking it down and analyzing it for biological matter. Today, we're looking for "Extremophiles;" microbes that can survive and thrive in extremely hot conditions.

Alright, time to see how this thing works. "Metal Eater, initiate drilling program."

21956833245_52edd0fd7d_c.jpg

21334094594_6063d5220a_c.jpg

21768960918_c5aa82534a_c.jpg

21768951938_547c41683e_c.jpg

21768712760_554a993b37_c.jpg

Balls.

Lu to Dr. Long - the unit handles terrain navigation just fine, but the gyroscopic stabilizers need some work. Unit 42b is a total loss, and is not recoverable.

Lu, out.

Realized I forgot to put the tags at the beginning, so just updated that. I'm not super happy with the photography on this one, but I ran out of time and the sun was already down. Ah well, let's just say any graininess is ash and volcanic dust :classic:

Edited by LucasLaughing

18348257833_69a18106fa_t.jpg : //"this is Dr. Danielle Long. Are you sure the "Metal Eater" unit 42b is not recoverable? Those things are more expensive than the lab techs... your feedback on the gyroscope is much appreciated. I expect you to file the proper incident report forms, but in the meantime I'll see if I can't get Kodan to work out the bugs. I have a meeting to attend. Dr. Long out."//

Lovely little scene! The Droid is fun, and the story is great! :grin:

~Dr. Long

sweet build, I think I am going to have to build my metal eater as well, I might use your design but the next generation as well. :classic::laugh:

Lovely little scene! The Droid is fun, and the story is great! :grin:

~Dr. Long

Thanks! Loved the in-character response - the incident report will be filed by the end of the next pay period :grin:

That lava is awesome!

Thank you! I tried a few different techniques for the lighting / glow, but what ended up working best was just building it on a transparent baseplate and then putting white paper underneath while I photographed it.

sweet build, I think I am going to have to build my metal eater as well, I might use your design but the next generation as well. :classic::laugh:

Thanks - a next generation metal eater would be rad!

I got a good laugh out of that one. Poor metal eater.

Lol, yeah .... I'm sure it uploaded its consciousness to the mainframe at the last second :look:

Glad you were able to throw something together! :classic: The metal eater is really cool. How did you do the spinning effect? :look:

Thanks! It had been way too long since I put an entry up, so I'm glad I was able to get something together. For the spinning effect, I just stuck a transparent one of these: 42445.gif

into its head and spun it around with one hand while I held the camera with the other - it took about a dozen shots to get a few that I was happy with :classic: