Jump to content


Dino 2012


849 replies to this topic

#776 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostOky, on 06 February 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

By the way, do we know the official story for this theme yet? I have yet to hear an explanation for why there are live dinosaurs in a modern day jungle near a city. :sceptic:  Maybe Lego is deliberately being vague in order to avoid lawsuits from the right owners of Jurassic Park. :tongue:
Rule of Cool. :wink:

I don't think we will know for sure untill the "Nest" and "Base" are up on the Dino webpage. Maybe not even then. :sceptic:

#777 LandShark

LandShark

    Posts: 463
    Joined: 24-July 11
    Member: 19253
    Country: Scotland

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostOky, on 06 February 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

I don't think there are any pictorial ones here, but there are a few on youtube.

By the way, do we know the official story for this theme yet? I have yet to hear an explanation for why there are live dinosaurs in a modern day jungle near a city. :sceptic:  Maybe Lego is deliberately being vague in order to avoid lawsuits from the right owners of Jurassic Park. :tongue:

I think we have two possible origins for the Dino's so far.
1. They were released by the Alien emperor from Alien Conquest (I think that was from a Lego Club comic).
2. They were released by a mysterious artefacty-tomby thing in the forest (from the game on the Dino website).

I don't especially like either of them, so I'm just going to go with my own backstory. Unless ther's a better one in the upcoming 'Nest' or 'Base' sections on the official site.
I might go for something along the lines of the anomalies from Primeval. That give me much more options for locations/creatures I can use.

#778 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostLandShark, on 06 February 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

I think we have two possible origins for the Dino's so far.
1. They were released by the Alien emperor from Alien Conquest (I think that was from a Lego Club comic).
2. They were released by a mysterious artefacty-tomby thing in the forest (from the game on the Dino website).

I don't especially like either of them, so I'm just going to go with my own backstory. Unless ther's a better one in the upcoming 'Nest' or 'Base' sections on the official site.
I might go for something along the lines of the anomalies from Primeval. That give me much more options for locations/creatures I can use.
Artefacty-tomby thing? Pic, please.

#779 LandShark

LandShark

    Posts: 463
    Joined: 24-July 11
    Member: 19253
    Country: Scotland

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostLegoman273, on 06 February 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Artefacty-tomby thing? Pic, please.

Just go onto the main page on the Dino website, it's the first thing you do in the game. It's a kind of stone structure, and when you pull some switches, it opens and all of the Dinosaurs come out. I'm not sure what exactly the rest of the story is, it does seem to make much sense to me.

Edited by LandShark, 06 February 2012 - 06:29 PM.


#780 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8173
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostSid Sidious, on 06 February 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

Are there any reviews for Tower Takedown, T-rex Trapper, or Ocean Interceptor (5883, 5886, 5888)?
I could help you with Tower Takedown if I get my lazy butt up. :tongue:
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#781 K-Nut

K-Nut

    Posts: 4573
    Joined: 12-August 11
    Member: 19691
    Country: USA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostSid Sidious, on 06 February 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

Are there any reviews for Tower Takedown, T-rex Trapper, or Ocean Interceptor (5883, 5886, 5888)?

View PostMasked Builder, on 06 February 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I could help you with Tower Takedown if I get my lazy butt up. :tongue:
Knowing Masked, we won't get this review until Summer. :tongue:
My Collection

Posted Image


Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats


#782 MakutaNocturn

MakutaNocturn

    Posts: 419
    Joined: 14-February 11
    Member: 15997
    Country: Poland

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostLandShark, on 05 February 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

No Dino news from the Toy Fair, so I guess it's either next year or nothing. The display of the current sets was pretty good, though. :thumbup:

That's what I said few pages ago :)

Lego Dino won't "survive" because of the story. Or no-story. Lego didn't make us excited about this theme and I think Lego Dino is just for half-a-year (one-use like I said :P ).

#783 Vindice

Vindice

    Posts: 555
    Joined: 23-September 10
    Member: 13399
    Country: U.K

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostMakutaNocturn, on 07 February 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

That's what I said few pages ago :)

Lego Dino won't "survive" because of the story. Or no-story. Lego didn't make us excited about this theme and I think Lego Dino is just for half-a-year (one-use like I said :P ).

I think if it sells as pants as PQ and Atlantis did then yes it will be a one hit. If its a good seller I'd expect more especially as it's Dinosaurs and kids love the Dinosaurs!
"Bolted doors and windows barred, guard dogs prowling in the yard, won't protect you in your bed, nothing will, from PUMPKINHEAD"

#784 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7626
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostVindice, on 07 February 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

I think if it sells as pants as PQ and Atlantis did then yes it will be a one hit. If its a good seller I'd more especially as it's Dinosaurs and kids love the Dinosaurs!
Atlantis sold fairly well, actually-- at least well enough to ensure it a second year, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Unfortunately this theme evidently hasn't even been designed to be as big a hit as Atlantis, given the minimal marketing it's received compared to that theme. It's a shame, but I hope in the very least that when another Dinosaur theme comes around at some point in the future it will reuse these designs along with new, compatible designs for other dinosaurs.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#785 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8173
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have to agree with you Aanchir, and I do wish that this theme would continue.

View PostK-nut, on 06 February 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Knowing Masked, we won't get this review until Summer. :tongue:
Watch it buddy.  It's simple review of a small set.  Besides, I like reviewing small sets.
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#786 K-Nut

K-Nut

    Posts: 4573
    Joined: 12-August 11
    Member: 19691
    Country: USA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think TLG walked into this knowing it would only be a one wave theme. Though kids love Dinos, there isn't much left to build on. :sceptic:
My Collection

Posted Image


Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats


#787 Jargo

Jargo

    Posts: 1211
    Joined: 12-May 10
    Member: 10639
    Country: Brickish isles

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

I think given the expense of the Dinosaur moulds we won't have seen the last of them. The Dino hunters and their vehicles probably won't be seen again. I reckon we'll see a wave of Dinosaurs and vehicles when the next Jurassic park movie comes out. Mr. Spielberg is a fan of Lego and will presumably be milking the merchandise deals for all he can get. His pals George and Peter are raking it in with Lego products themed around their franchises. Lego Jurassic park would sell like a new Apple© iProduct©.

#788 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

  • Completely Lame


    Posts: 6391
    Joined: 17-October 11
    Member: 21005
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostVindice, on 07 February 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

I think if it sells as pants as PQ and Atlantis did then yes it will be a one hit. If its a good seller I'd expect more especially as it's Dinosaurs and kids love the Dinosaurs!

Pharaoh's quest sold pretty well also.

Posted Image


#789 Vindice

Vindice

    Posts: 555
    Joined: 23-September 10
    Member: 13399
    Country: U.K

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostAanchir, on 07 February 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Atlantis sold fairly well, actually-- at least well enough to ensure it a second year, which is nothing to sneeze at.


View PostScubacarrot, on 08 February 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Pharaoh's quest sold pretty well also.

"I stand corrected" said the man in Orthopaedic shoes

I would like to see more of Dino. The good Dino manufacturers like Schleich and Papo don't really get into the main retaielr markets like Lego do and there are dozens of good Dino moulds waiting to be done!
"Bolted doors and windows barred, guard dogs prowling in the yard, won't protect you in your bed, nothing will, from PUMPKINHEAD"

#790 Algernon

Algernon

  • Not a Doofus


    Posts: 2249
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2558

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

I don't think PQ did that well. Atlantis had two waves, whereas PQ started going on sale after only a few months. I'm not surprised, because I don't see how flying mummies would appeal to kids these days.  :sceptic:

#791 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostAlgernon, on 08 February 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't think PQ did that well. Atlantis had two waves, whereas PQ started going on sale after only a few months. I'm not surprised, because I don't see how flying mummies would appeal to kids these days.  :sceptic:
PQ did well, but the story ended. TLG planned for it to be a one-wave theme. Hence the main structure was released in the first wave. Contrast that with Atlantis, which released the main structure in the summer wave. Ninjago, too did this. (Fire Temple)

#792 spacefan6901

spacefan6901

    Posts: 30
    Joined: 28-May 11
    Member: 18107
    Country: USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostOky, on 06 February 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:


By the way, do we know the official story for this theme yet? I have yet to hear an explanation for why there are live dinosaurs in a modern day jungle near a city. :sceptic:  Maybe Lego is deliberately being vague in order to avoid lawsuits from the right owners of Jurassic Park. :tongue:


Possibly slightly off on a tangent here, but the one thing that bugs me about LEGO these days is that need for an "official story." When I was a kid I'm sure I would have had no problem coming up for a reason for dinos to be in modern times all on my own. Does TLG think kids have all become unimaginative drones these days or what?

For me the "vagueness" or non-existence of some grown-ups telling kids how to play with their LEGO the "right way" seems to me a good thing.

#793 Arigomi

Arigomi

    Posts: 245
    Joined: 13-November 10
    Member: 14193
    Country: USA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

View Postspacefan6901, on 09 February 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Possibly slightly off on a tangent here, but the one thing that bugs me about LEGO these days is that need for an "official story." When I was a kid I'm sure I would have had no problem coming up for a reason for dinos to be in modern times all on my own. Does TLG think kids have all become unimaginative drones these days or what?

For me the "vagueness" or non-existence of some grown-ups telling kids how to play with their LEGO the "right way" seems to me a good thing.


The Bricks & More product line doesn't have an official story and encourages children to play any way they want. Despite this, sales numbers of Bricks & More sets are very low compared to themes with official stories.

It is very hard to be creative without any source of inspiration. If you give an artist a blank piece of paper and tell that person to think outside of the box, the artist will draw a box. Children are no different. They create stories by borrowing ideas from their lives. TLG is only offering a framework for the Dino theme that kids can build upon or alter as they see fit. An official story also aids in creating an effective advertising campaign. The Dino commercials would be very plain without the dinosaur capturing concept.

#794 mrklaw

mrklaw

    Posts: 354
    Joined: 04-November 10
    Member: 14078

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Isn't this just a generic dinosaurs theme? They had one a few years ago, with similar hunter approach - even similar small dinosaur/jeep, t-rex/helicopter etc.

My daughter doesn't care that there isn't an official story, or that the theme might not continue. She just likes dinosaurs. Simple really.

#795 prateek

prateek

  • Study hard!


    Posts: 10406
    Joined: 09-July 05
    Member: 426
    Country: Canada

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Totally random, but it seems the Lego crew failed the CGI of the HQ's box. The T-Rex's tail is in front of the gate, when the dino is clearly behind it.
Posted Image
Just thought I'd point it out :tongue:

#796 Flipz

Flipz

  • Treason didn't work for him


    Posts: 7698
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

It's a shame, really.  Dino Attack from a few years back was very interesting story-wise; heck, it had one of the better action-type website games of its time.  This theme had the potential for so much more, to be the next Dino Attack, but it's not getting the push it would need.

I suspect it's just another casualty of the other epic themes we're getting this year (after all, TLG can only put "full focus" on so many themes at once), but it's still a shame.

Also, does anyone else wish that those yellow X-beam wall pieces came in a shade of gray or black, instead of yellow?  I can think of so many ways to use a gray one of that piece, not so much a yellow one...

May be slightly depressed.
Posted Image & Posted Image
Arthur Justus Regulus VII, Level 33.75 Dragoon, 22-year-old male Human???  & Miirym, 0-year-old female Dragon hatchling in Sandy's Heroica RPG!
[STATS]


#797 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7626
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostFlipz, on 21 February 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

It's a shame, really.  Dino Attack from a few years back was very interesting story-wise; heck, it had one of the better action-type website games of its time.  This theme had the potential for so much more, to be the next Dino Attack, but it's not getting the push it would need.

I suspect it's just another casualty of the other epic themes we're getting this year (after all, TLG can only put "full focus" on so many themes at once), but it's still a shame.

Also, does anyone else wish that those yellow X-beam wall pieces came in a shade of gray or black, instead of yellow?  I can think of so many ways to use a gray one of that piece, not so much a yellow one...
They do appear in Dark Stone Grey in three sets and in Black in two sets-- the two sets in which they appear in black even are current for this year, and the one where they're most abundant is the Triceratops Trapper from this very theme.

I have mixed feelings about the limited story and marketing for this theme. On one hand, I really like heavily-marketed story themes, but on the other hand I understand the appeal of themes with a looser story to promote "free play", especially this year when there are so many story themes and licensed themes already around. Perhaps Dino doesn't work as well as a "free play" theme as something more down-to-earth like Kingdoms or City, but I'm sure kids would have a lot of fun coming up with explanations for where the dinos came from and why they are on a rampage.

The fact that there are so many sections of the website marked "coming soon" hints that there's still more content planned to go with this theme, but in general it doesn't excite me quite like more story-driven themes like Ninjago or Hero Factory. Perhaps, though, TLG is counting on the fact that awesome-looking dinosaurs will sell themselves. Even if there were a story for this theme, I think the dinosaurs and innovative trapping vehicles would remain the main draw for kids and adults alike.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#798 AngryChair

AngryChair

    Posts: 148
    Joined: 22-September 10
    Member: 13384

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Postspacefan6901, on 09 February 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Possibly slightly off on a tangent here, but the one thing that bugs me about LEGO these days is that need for an "official story." When I was a kid I'm sure I would have had no problem coming up for a reason for dinos to be in modern times all on my own. Does TLG think kids have all become unimaginative drones these days or what?

For me the "vagueness" or non-existence of some grown-ups telling kids how to play with their LEGO the "right way" seems to me a good thing.

I'd agree with you on this point.  In the 80's when the original space range came out there were no comics, cartoons and obviously no web for us to base stories on.  This then made me and my brothers create our own stories based on the sets (a couple of star ships, a base and some smaller pieces).  This went on for years and expanded as the ranges did.  

I don't see any reason why the Dino range needs a story to be deemed as successful.  I think kids would make their own story if they were left too it as the dinos are awesome and the sets are amazing quality. As quoted above, it would promote good fun imaginitive play

#799 surrideo

surrideo

    Posts: 516
    Joined: 24-October 11
    Member: 21137
    Country: Scotland

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

They are great sets but they are definitely too expensive. My favourite set is the Triceratos trapper and it is exceptionally overpriced along with the T-Rex hunter and tower takedown( the latter two that I haven't bought yet).

I hope the line sells well but it doesn't appear to be shifting on they toy shelves near me, like the second Atlantis wave last year

#800 AngryChair

AngryChair

    Posts: 148
    Joined: 22-September 10
    Member: 13384

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

View Postsurrideo, on 23 February 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

They are great sets but they are definitely too expensive. My favourite set is the Triceratos trapper and it is exceptionally overpriced along with the T-Rex hunter and tower takedown( the latter two that I haven't bought yet).

I hope the line sells well but it doesn't appear to be shifting on they toy shelves near me, like the second Atlantis wave last year

The price could possibly be due to incredible dinos.  I bet they aint cheap to make.  I agree, the Triceratop set it nice, infact they all are.



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users