Sign in to follow this  
Zip

Bionicle: Legend of Mata Nui (Cancelled Game)

Because Mask of Destiny can be pretty useful at times.

While the first one isn't anything new, I've never seen the last two. These look really awesome, like an enhanced MNOLG. Certainly better than the other Bionicle games.

Grah, I can't believe that Lego didn't believe that this didn't "fit the high standards" and cancelled it.

Because Mask of Destiny can be pretty useful at times.

While the first one isn't anything new, I've never seen the last two. These look really awesome, like an enhanced MNOLG. Certainly better than the other Bionicle games.

Grah, I can't believe that Lego didn't believe that this didn't "fit the high standards" and cancelled it.

Well, there are some people that think they canceled it because of the Maori lawsuit, but I dunno if there's any evidence to back that up. And anyway, I believe the official statement about the cancelation said it was due to glitches and delays, not low standards. Perhaps it was just taking too long and too much money to make. :sceptic:

Beautiful.

Though what's with Onua's sudden head shift in the second video?

Well, there are some people that think they canceled it because of the Maori lawsuit, but I dunno if there's any evidence to back that up. And anyway, I believe the official statement about the cancelation said it was due to glitches and delays, not low standards. Perhaps it was just taking too long and too much money to make. :sceptic:

"Not fitting LEGO's high standards" is basically LEGO's word for "glitches". Or, in the case of their ordinary sets, "defective parts". In essence, they decided there was no way that they were going to get it working smoothly on the budget or schedule the game had been allotted, so they cancelled it.

Mother of stars!

That was beautiful! :D That celebration at the end... so funky, so vibrant, and so silly -- really evokes the MNOG spirit! :D And awesome seeing Kapura at the end, presumably being the moment before he discovers the Bohrok as referenced in Comic 4. That scene was friggin' hilarious. :D

Music is spifftastic. Villagers are spiffy. Onewa's groovy. What a joy. Thanks so much. :D

-Ikk

Edited by Ikki o' Moopyville

Oh my goodness. The nogalstic power is overwhelming! I want this game. Who remembers that RPG game on bionicle.com?

Very, very interesting. They sure are corny, but charmingly so. I always wanted to play that game, even though it probably would've ended up mediocre at best. I just wonder if we'll ever get to see some gameplay... Or better yet, a leaked iso. Just ignore that... <_<

Guys, I can't lie, that animation is god awful.

"But it reminds me of MNOG, so it automatically is awesome anyway!" :tongue:

I like it, it's simple yet elegant. Perfectly conveys the tribal-techno feel of the story.

Plus, it's better than some of the crap we got in later years, like the Hordika and Piraka animations. :P Also looks comparable to Bionicle Heroes, but that may just be me.

Edited by Ikki o' Moopyville

I like it, it's simple yet elegant. Perfectly conveys the tribal-techno feel of the story.

Plus, it's better than some of the crap we got in later years, like the Hordika and Piraka animations. :P Also looks comparable to Bionicle Heroes, but that may just be me.

I thought the Piraka animations were pretty great. Hordika animations did stink, though.

And bear in mind that even if you like the animations and renderings, these are just cutscenes. Who's to say the gameplay would be anything less than frustrating? There's more to quality than just appearance, after all, especially for computer or video games.

Just watched all three videos. First one is good, obviously. Last one is OK, but I gathered two main flaws: Toa Mata can't dance, and Matoran and Turaga have utterly ridiculous voices. I do like the animation quality, although I doubt it would be consistent throughout the entire game.

I do hope the cast of Matoran characters is more than just cutscene content and there are indeed several Matoran you encounter throughout the game-- one of the biggest flaws of BIONICLE Heroes, at least for me, is how lonely the whole game feels. The inclusion of Rahi like the Husi Pecking Bird is nice.

I really wish this game were actually available, if only because it would be a great complement to the MNOLG. After all, a lot of the places where MNOLG content is considered "non-canon" is where the story is instead based on this game. I'd love to see a more reliable and complete account of 2001, from the perspective of the Toa Mata rather than the Matoran.

I trust that they cancelled it for good reasons, however, and am not saying they shouldn't have-- just that it'd be nice, now that BIONICLE's coming to a close, to see the game that was intended to kick it off.

Edited by Aanchir

I thought the Piraka animations were pretty great. Hordika animations did stink, though.

And bear in mind that even if you like the animations and renderings, these are just cutscenes. Who's to say the gameplay would be anything less than frustrating? There's more to quality than just appearance, after all, especially for computer or video games.

True that. In my dreams though, the game was MNOG on steroids. :P