Tervlon

Adventurer's Quest: Royal Adventurers Society of London

Adventurer's Quest: Royal Adventurers Society of London

June 5, 1935

After a long trip to the darkest jungles, the coldest glaciers, or the most scalding sands a humble adventurer needs a place to unwind, relax, and share his glorious (and sometimes exaggerated) stories. I find the Royal Adventurer’s Society of London to be such a place! Founded in 1880 by a number of famous explorers among them Sir Henry Morton Stanley after returning from his African adventures, the Royal Society is a place for those who lead exciting lives bringing light to the forgotten realms of the Earth. Since its founding it has grown to be a formidable organization that has an aura of mystery surrounding it. Most people see it as something of a boys club and other academic organizations treat members of the RASL with disdain, the flap a few years ago with the Royal Geographical Society about that ancient Chinese map did not help things in the least!

While the RASL houses Johnny Thunder and Dr. Kilroy's collection of artifacts they frequently host other adventurers and their recovered antiquities as well. Besides Mr. Thunder other famous trailblazers that pass through the RASL include Indiana Jones, Gail Storm, Dr. Archibald Hale, Jack Raines, Charles Muntz, Ellie and Carl Fredrickson, Rick O’Connell and Evy Carnahan. Shackleton, Stanley, Livingstone, Amundsen, Mary Kingsley, and others all dropped by or donated items to the collection at some point, too!

While the adventurers are very competitive they never steal from each other. Some explorers have been expelled from the RASL for their conniving and violent ways. Baron von Barron, Sam Sinister, and Rene Belloq were all members of the society before their expulsion for not obeying the RASL creed.

5530046798_d52bfca69c.jpg

5528948561_117eee4e80.jpg

Tonight there was a delightful dinner party hosted by the RASL’s most famous member, Johnny Thunder. Along with Dr. Kilroy, the historian and professor who frequently follows Thunder, Gail Storm and a number of other prominent dignitaries and explorers were in attendance.

5529537472_e204797ce7.jpg

What a good night of dancing and conversation was had!

5529537660_98d48886ab.jpg

(The piano is the Non-LEGO produced convention exclusive set from BrickFair 2010 and is not my design.)

That Gail Storm was a charming young lady! She has been on many an adventure with Thunder and always keeps him in line. She is tough as nails but still a lady.

5528948651_7d51a04ff7.jpg

The party took an interesting turn with the arrival of some unwelcome guests. Baron von Barron and his Russian henchman Crazy Dr. Ivan suddenly joined the party. I suspect they were not invited! What a difficult position it put Dr. Kilroy and Mr. Thunder in! Johnny Thunder’s expression went from his normal swashbuckling smile to a dark look of suspicion as the Baron called his name.

5529537618_4f97310681.jpg

That’s when...

What will happen next with our hero? Will The Baron join Johnny for a drink? Or will Crazy Ivan turn the party into a free for all? Tune in next week for more adventures with Johnny Thunder!

COOL a serial, excellent work on the scenery and customizing the figures 'Tervion'....I look forward to the next installment......Brick On ! :grin:

First off well done on a magnificant build :thumbup:

The colour transition is perfect ! the statues, and stained glass windows are great!!

So much to love in this creation well done, I hope to see a D2C entry from you!

ps: where did you get the black epaulettes from? :cry_happy:

Yep, See it on Classic-Town.net earlier today. Absolutely awesome build, great job!

What? And you didn't make it your D2C contest entry?!!

It is a wonderfully detailed building, (I especially like the windows and the statues) but for me the best part is the minifigs.

There are some nice characters (of course, johnny and his friends are my favorite, though you didn't use the official Gail storm (that's a good choice, she's not as nice as this lady)), and their clothes go well altogether.

Good lighting too, there really is a "night party" feeling on the piano picture.

Perfect! :sweet:

P.S: I couldn't spot Charles Muntz, which one is he?

Tervlon, this is simply an outstanding creation, from the intricate detailing of the building to the small but neat elements, this is just a wonderful build overall. And gotta love that grand piano. :wub: Excellent work of art! :thumbup:

Thanks folks! I wish I could take credit for the gorgeous piano, but alas it was sold at Brickfair as the souvenir kit. I was also planning on an interior but I think I've decided to do do a series of interior vignettes which allow for much more detail and can be easily displayed.

As for my d2c contest entry... stay tuned.

Edited by Tervlon

Great build. But what I especially like are all those stereotyped adventures. :laugh:

Wow, what a brilliant MOC, so much to look at and admire. :classic: I especially love the stained glass effect. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story as well!

Thanks folks! I wish I could take credit for the gorgeous piano, but alas it was sold at Brickfair as the souvenir kit. I was also planning on an interior but I think I've decided to do do a series of interior vignettes which allow for much more detail and can be easily displayed.

As for my d2c contest entry... stay tuned.

Well... marvelous, I must say, though from my own selfish perspective I'm also rather annoyed; I was planning on doing something very much like this for my own D2C entry (an Adventurers Club, and I was even planning on setting it in London in the '30s, though the building details would differ). Ah, well. Yours is gorgeous, I must say.

Well... marvelous, I must say, though from my own selfish perspective I'm also rather annoyed; I was planning on doing something very much like this for my own D2C entry (an Adventurers Club, and I was even planning on setting it in London in the '30s, though the building details would differ). Ah, well. Yours is gorgeous, I must say.

Thank you! As for your Adventurer's club Blondie-Wan, do it! Can't wait to see another persons take on the theme. I love the creations in this genre. This one is ineligible for D2C since I posted it without entering, for some reason I missed the part allowing multiple entries, so you need to complete yours for the contest.

I was going to compliment the piano, but I realized it wasn't yours when I saw the comments. :sceptic: I also really liked the idea of a rooftop party. It looks nice, and makes it easy for you to display all of the action in one shot. Overall, great job!