Sign in to follow this  
pikafunk

REVIEW: 2507 Ninjago FIRE TEMPLE

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Thank you for reading this review. :classic:

(This will be photo-intensive as I will try to show the build progress of the set.)

Fire Temple

Ages 8-14

1180 parts

7 Minifigs

Release August 2011

Price US $124.99 / € 119.99

Background information:

This has got to be the largest Ninjago set to date. It is also probably the flagship Ninjago set. The Ninjago series has been progressively building up towards this set, which is sort of the finale set. If you remember the Pharoah's Quest series, each set gives you a golden artifact, and you need to buy all of the sets to get all the artifacts. For Ninjago, you need to collect the various sets to collect all the golden weapons. If you watched the DVD, this ties in with the storyline where the ninjas' full powers will be unleashed if they have all the golden weapons.

This is the first set from which you can obtain the Fire Dragon Sword from the story. (Edit: seems that you can get it from the upcoming set 2254 Mountain Shrine too. Thanks to White Cat for the heads up!) I used to think that the pearl gold katana was it, but this is the actual Dragon Sword. Lego making a new mold just for this purpose.

Another thing Ninjago fans are crazy about is the appearance of Sensei Wu in a brand new black robe!

This is not a Spinjitzu set, which creates an arena for you to play spinners with. This is a playable set, something like the castle/kingdoms/old ninja sets style, with a main building and certain movable parts/features.

Here is one side of the box. The artwork at the top shows Sensei Wu in black robes. The set contains the Fire Dragon (Kai's dragon), which is almost like the red version of the Ice Dragon, and a Japanese-style temple. The temple has moving parts (more on that later). The dragon can spread its wings and spits a fireball (similar to the Ice Dragon or the shooting mechanism in Battle Arena).

01.jpg

The other side shows that the set is quite playable.

02.jpg

The side shows the Minifigs. Sensei Wu (black robes), Kai DX, regular Zane, Nya with grey daggers instead of gold in the spinner set, the baddies would be Lord Garmadon with the blue lightning staff, Krucha and Samukai.

03.jpg

You need to break 2 sticky tabs on the side to open the box (not the kind where you have to press a tab in).

04.jpg

Here's the contents. Bags numbered 1 to 7, 3 books of instructions, and separately sealed parts for the dragon's head. There are no stickers!!

05.jpg

The instructions tell you that completing Bag 1 gives you all the Minifigs, the Fire Dragon Sword, and half of the Fire Dragon.

06.jpg

Bag 1 contains the usual bags within a bag kind of style. Opening it gives you 2 smaller bags and separately sealed skeleton Minifig parts.

07.jpg

The parts look like this.

08.jpg

When you finish the Minifigs, here's what you get. The Dragon Sword is pretty special.

09.jpg

Here's another view, showing Kai DX and Zane with ninja wraps off, and Sensei Wu's back view. Samukai's mouth opens as it is fastened with a Lego hinge.

10.jpg

A close up of Sensei Wu. The hat and head are the same. The beard is soft rubber instead of hard plastic. He carries the reddish brown staff, but I wish they gave him a different and less boring weapon instead. Golden Japanese (or Chinese?? I am not sure) characters adorn the front. I am unable to make sense of the characters. Can anyone help? But it looks good.

11.jpg

The back shows a golden dragon motif, which is really very impressive Minifig design.

12.jpg

A closer look at the Fire Dragon Sword. The detailing is impressive for a Minifig Weapon.

13.jpg

After progressing a bit into the build of the dragon, I noticed the medley of colours. Yellow + Dark Yellow + Orange. Looks great.

14.jpg

The completed dragon torso.

15.jpg

The completed right wing. The golden claws look great.

16.jpg

You can spread the wing. Note that the feathers are really helicopter rotors in a different colour. Haha!

17.jpg

And here's what you get at the end of Bag 1.

18.jpg

Bag 2 gives you the rest of the dragon.

19.jpg

A bag within a bag. You will need the dragon head parts too.

20.jpg

Here's what's in the bags. There's a flag piece which says "Dragon God" in Japanese.

21.jpg

Here's the completed dragon's head.

22.jpg

Mid-build. It is starting to look like the Ice Dragon but in a different colour scheme.

23.jpg

The Fire Dragon is thus complete. It looks majestic in this colour.

24.jpg

2 bags of number 3 will give you the base of the temple.

25.jpg

It will include some rubber bands for the temple mechanism.

26.jpg

The following will show the various stages of the build.

27.jpg

Note the rubber bands.

28.jpg

End of bags 3. Not very exciting for this part in my view. But it gets much better.

29.jpg

Bag 4 gives the next layer of the temple and some of the interior features.

30.jpg

Here's a look at the parts.

31.jpg

You need to build 2 of the grey setups which form the movable mechanism of the temple. The tan platform will become the dragon's perch which will be shown again at the end.

32.jpg

At this point, note that the mechanism allows the temple to be split right in the middle.

33.jpg

This shows the features of the interior. Flames spew inside the Fire Temple as well.

34.jpg

The temple grows vertically as you proceed to Bags 5.

35.jpg

2 bags with one smaller one within.

36.jpg

Here's the parts. There are 2 pairs of window panes. Each pair put together make up the image of the golden dragon. This is similar to the dragon on Sensei Wu's robe.

37.jpg

Here is how it looks like, mid-build.

38.jpg

After you finish Bags 5, the temple is looking very good. 2 green dragon statues guard the entrance.

39.jpg

Bag 6 will allow you to complete the rest of the main part of the temple.

40.jpg

You will find 2 smaller bags inside the big bag.

41.jpg

The contents look like that.

42.jpg

When you finish all the parts, you get the main section of the temple, with a large hole at the top. Flames spew at the corners of the temple. My gripe is that the corners of the roof move about too easily, as they are attached only by a small plate hinge. Otherwise, it is pretty impressive. The style of the temple vertex is very similar to that found in the Spinjitzu Dojo and Battle Arena sets. The wall lamps are also identical. I like how the sets have a common style.

43.jpg

Bag 7 will give you 3 sections to add to the main section of the temple.

44.jpg

2 bags within a big bag for 7.

45.jpg

When you are done with the first section, it creates a pedestal of fire for the Fire Dragon Sword. The mechanism allows the pedestal to rotate. You will need to attach this section to the middle of the temple.

46.jpg

This section is placed on the right of the main section of the temple and is not directly attached. The Japanese drum is a nice touch. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a Lego depiction of a Sakura/Cherry Blossom tree, and it is in bloom, with pink flowers amongst the leaves. Bamboo is prevalent in most of the Ninjago sets.

47.jpg

I removed the drum to show that it sits on 4 pearl gold wedges and a modified plate with a vertical bar, which goes into the hole of the drum. This is quite ingenious.

48.jpg

The left section of the temple is also not directly attached to the main section. It has a rack of katanas in 3 different colours and a Sakura tree for the left side. The swords are not held by clips this time, but are slotted in the small gap which is created when 2 modified log bricks are placed side by side. Very ingenious.

49.jpg

Put everything together and the set is complete. The Fire Dragon sits on the platform shown earlier, and its head sticks out of the hole on top of the temple. Cute and scary at the same time. Kai goes up the steps and pulls upward on the Fire Dragon Sword...

50.jpg

The temple splits into two, and the Fire Dragon is awakened! (The rubber bands in the structure of the temple cause the 2 halves to spring open!)

51.jpg

Kai DX rides the Fire Dragon, which rains fireballs on the enemies, and Lord Garmadon is defeated!!

52.jpg

Here's a view of the temple from the back. The dragon has left, so the platform on which it rests upon is visible. The details on the interior are a nice touch.

53.jpg

The temple will click shut when you are finished playing and push both halves of the temple back together. I have discovered that the temple crumbles into pieces if you try doing it by pushing at other parts of the temple other than the 2 green spots on each side.

54.jpg

SCORES!

The Build: 8/10

Building the dragon was fun. It gets a little boring at the base of the temple, but gets exciting again as the temple ascends. Putting the sections together, adding the final touches, and finally placing the dragon in the temple would be the climax of the build.

Displayability: 9/10

This set looks really good on a tabletop. I love the colour scheme. The dragon looks really majestic.

Stability: 5/10

There is no baseplate, which is typical for a Ninjago set. Some parts crumble easily, especially when you are removing or replacing the dragon, which might be a problem for younger or clumsier owners. But it manages to stay intact. I wish the parts would stay together more securely.

Playability: 9/10

A dragon emerging from a temple which splits into half. Now that's exciting!

Overall score: 8/10

Definitely buy it. It is the flagship set of the Ninjago series, and it is really fun too. Plus you get Sensei Wu in black robes and the Fire Dragon Sword!

Thank you again for reading this review. :classic:

-

Edited by Peppermint_M

Thanks for this review, pikafunk!

I really like the look of this set - as a display piece it looks marvelous. Oh, and the printed parts are beautiful! :wub:

However, I'm really disappointed with the playability of this set. Asides from the temple splitting in half, there aren't really any features. Kind of a bummer for a 1000+ piece flagship set. I recently found a MISB Dragon Fortress on Bricklink for less than the Fire Temple, so I decided to take my money to the Adventurers classic. Perhaps I'll grab this NinjaGo set when it goes on sale.

Thanks for this review, I found it helped me in the buy/don't buy back and forth I am going through.

While I like many of the 'extras" I was unsure about the set overall.

Great pictures and review. :sweet:

Thanks for this great review! I really like this set, and I will buy it. It is the only set in the line that appeals to me (other than the dragons).

Thanks for the excellent in depth review.

This is certainly the standout set for me in the theme and I have to admit I'm a little tempted. The design and details are fabulous and the colours striking. The minifigures are also very nice, as it contains two of my favourite figures from the theme, Wu and Nya.

Thumbs up from me! And thanks again!

Thanks for sharing this review pifapunk! This is easily the best set of the NinjaGo theme for me as it visually appeals to the AFOL in me as the temple certainly looks like a great display model. I really don't mind the playability features, but I do admire the highly-detailed printed parts and the introduction of new elements like the dragon sword and the new skeleton warriors.

Thanks 'pilapunk' for this review - oh, pain.....I wasn't going to buy anymore Ninjago this year.....maybe I might have to make my money stretch a bit further eh ? :blush:

The printed parts and that golden sword......totally AWESOME.

But question, there is just Zane, not Zane DX because isn't he already a DX as he has his ice dragon.....I could be wrong ?

Fantastic playablity though I agree it needs a base plate to keep it stable as large sections are very dynamic not static. :wink:

Keep on spinning everyone ! :grin:

Very cool review! Thanks for all the detailed pictures.

This is the set I was looking for when Ninjago first came out, but I was disappointed in the first run. I want more authentic building designs with the fantastical ninja elements. I may just have to buy two of these so I can keep one as is and use the other to make my own, more stable display set.

That sword, if they don't print it elsewhere, is going to become a very expensive piece!

Thanks 'pilapunk' for this review - oh, pain.....I wasn't going to buy anymore Ninjago this year.....maybe I might have to make my money stretch a bit further eh ? :blush:

The printed parts and that golden sword......totally AWESOME.

But question, there is just Zane, not Zane DX because isn't he already a DX as he has his ice dragon.....I could be wrong ?

Fantastic playablity though I agree it needs a base plate to keep it stable as large sections are very dynamic not static. :wink:

Keep on spinning everyone ! :grin:

thanks guys for your comments...

if im not wrong, the Ninjas turn into their DX version when they activate their powers with their respective golden weapons and awaken/ride their own dragon. When that happens, their clothes change and the golden dragon is seen on their torso.

Too bad Zane is just plain Zane in this set. Only Kai is DX in this set...

Thank you for the nice review.

One of the best Ninjago sets I think they make.

Good news is that dragon sword isn't exclusive for this set only. Thanks for the great reviews. Since the temple hide most of the dragon so now I think it's a beautiful set because I don't really like the design of this Fire Dragon and Ice Dragon.

2254-1.jpg

great review!!!!!!!!! :classic:

i think that the dragon should be more well hidden though.

would they not see a dragon head sticking through the temple and decide not to take the sword?

:shrug_oh_well: ...............................

.......................ME WANT MEGA FIRE DRAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol:

Nice Review!! I got this today and inside the box.. to my amazement... (not covered in your review) it came with a promotional item.. a LEGO plastic storage box with 2 compartments !!!!! But I did buy mine from South Korea, so maybe it's only over there that we get the freebie :laugh:

Impressive set.

minifig selection is weird. Garmaddon and Zane should not be in it. Too many Garmaddaons (this, his old fort, the new truck and a spinner).

The prize is very steep.

lightning dragon seems a better choice for money I feel (pity it has wu again. :/).

I knew I wanted this set as soon as I saw the first ever previews of it. This review has increased the desire by a factor of 2!

I like Ninjas (have some of the old "Castle" Ninja theme) but never really took to NinjaGo - "LEGO Beyblades" was my initial take - and so far I've only bought the cheapest ambush impulse set. So I'll be going to each end of the spectrum - cheapest and most expensive, with nothing in the middle!

I recently found a MISB Dragon Fortress on Bricklink for less than the Fire Temple, so I decided to take my money to the Adventurers classic. Perhaps I'll grab this NinjaGo set when it goes on sale.

I have a Dragon Fortress and was actually planning to display the Fire Temple near it and other Orient Expedition sets. The contrast will be interesting. I suspect the Fire Temple dragon will make the Dragon Fortress one look like a wimp.

Now to re-view the review, and then hope Australian Toys R Us open their magic portal to getting early stock (they'll probably have this set the first), timed to coincide with a 20% voucher. If no sign within the next 2 weeks, I won't be able to resist the urge to import.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

I'm not a huge fan of the Ninjago theme, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist this one. It has a very classic feel to it, with the printed pieces, and the little details.

The dragon is good too, and I'm sure it wouldn't look out of place in my Castle kingdom.

Although, realistically, I'll probably only get this set if I find it on sale. :sadnew:

Hi,

the kids bought this set yesterday and I must say I am impressed. The dragon is awesome, the temple itself a really good design with lots of nice details. The building procedure pretty good as well.

Managed to pick it up for 103,99 euro (internet store). Quite a difference with the major toy stores in the netherlands where they sell it for 129,99 euro!

Edited by horizon

Ohh, this set looks super-amazing. I ordered it on B&N last week and i'm hanging out for it to arrive already! :excited: Thanks for the review Pikafunk, i suspect i'll be revisiting this review for the next couple of weeks to whet my appitite! :grin:

Since this review has one of the best pictures I've seen of the interior of the temple, I thought I'd ask here: What is the spoked-column-thing on the right-hand side? I recently got the set, and it looks familiar, but I can't identify what this object is meant to be.

What is the spoked-column-thing on the right-hand side? I recently got the set, and it looks familiar, but I can't identify what this object is meant to be.

It's a wooden training dummy used in Wing Chun style Kung Fu. I guess it is useful in Spinjitzu.

The Dragon Sword is very much to my liking. I really wish the dragons themselves were more like the Viking theme dragons. I may buy this set.

I honestly don't like this set too much, and in all actuality none of this second wave is really that great, except for the Earth Dragon defense set; maybe Lightning Dragon Battle.

This set seems boring. :sadnew: There really isn't anything to do; how do those skeletons supposed to fight against the 4 heroes and the dragon? They don't even have any vehicle or weapon (notwithstanding the golden weapons samukai has. But of course in Garmadon's dark fortress Kai went up against all of those skeletons and Garmadon by himself) and was successful, so I really don't see how those skellys could win :wacko:

Maybe I'm over analyzing this set. :laugh:

But, you did a great job reviewing it, thank you. :classic:

I agree that this set is amazing. I wouldn't have gotten any Ninjago sets from the first wave if I couldn't have gotten this set, methinks.

One great aspect of this set is the diversity of content. You get some very authentic-looking Japanese architecture, a brick-built dragon, four hero figures, and three villain figures. It's definitely a great "first step" towards a Ninjago collection.

One thing conspicuously absent from this theme is any sort of skeleton vehicle. I wonder if there was a conscious decision on the part of the designers to keep the vehicle and structure sets separate, or if having both in a set would have just been too expensive. I haven't yet built any sets with the skeleton vehicles, and to be honest they weren't a priority for me-- my family has gotten the Lightning Dragon Battle (or at least, will soon be receiving it by mail) and the Skull Motorbike, but they're both really just a part of my twin brother's master plan to get all the dragons and all the minifigures in as few sets as possible.

Also absent from this set is a spinner. However, it's noteworthy that most playsets containing spinners are designed to function as arenas for Spinjitzu when multiple sets are joined. And this set really lacks any sort of functions or features where a spinner would be particularly relevant. Anyway, a spinner would have driven up the price. While I enjoy the spinners a great deal after getting my first in the Spinjitzu Dojo, they are still a gimmick and sets like this do fine without them.

The play functions of this set work very well. I have had no problems with the set being fragile, and it's held up surprisingly well. Even more to my surprise, my twin brother and I were able to disassemble it into sections and get it packed up into the box without much difficulty-- surprising considering that the building itself is not very modular in design. Overall I encourage anyone to save up for this set, which consolidates some of the most widely-appealing aspects of the Ninjago theme into one package.