Sign in to follow this  
Warspite03

1st MOC Redbeard Runner

[pid][/pid] 126C

Feedback is not only greatly appreciated but requested. This wasn't meant to be something spectacular, but just trying out some ideas I've picked up from here while waiting for a big pick-a-brick order to start a real MOC. I used 2 RBRs, and some of my extra parts. I also nabbed a bundle of ship parts off of ebay which included a full set of BSB and CC sails.

I changed the gunport covers to black and added a third middle hull plate.

RedbeardRunner1.jpg

I used one of the Whitecap Bay mermaids as a figurehead.

RedbeardRunner3.jpg

I moved the skull up higher which allowed me to extend the cabin out and add a bed for our good captain. I also ripped off the idea of putting a cannon in its mouth.

RedbeardRunner4.jpg

I'm temporarily using the sails from the BSB and CC until I make my own with some fabrics I picked up a Joann Fabrics. I'm also trying to tweak the sail pattern to get 3 sails on each mast using the old style masts. I'm using the RBR spanker sail as well for now. The BSB sails actually go quite well with it.

RedbeardRunner8.jpg

RedbeardRunner11-1.jpg

The deck (though it doesn't look great) is modular. I also made the mainmast taller to allow the third sail, but that sail just doesn't look right without a piece of rigging. I also added a wall and door to close off the cabin and provided a pair of longboats. The anchor is not movable, but it can remain in place.

This is awesome!

Love the classic feel of it with some new age innovation.

Great work. Looks like the bluecoats may have a tiny bit of a challenge! :pir_laugh2:

Great work, keep it up. I am excited to see how it ends up with some custom sails.

Any chance we can get some interior shots of the ship?

Edited by Cpt. Dan

Feedback is not only greatly appreciated but requested. This wasn't meant to be something spectacular, but just trying out some ideas I've picked up from here while waiting for a big pick-a-brick order to start a real MOC. I used 2 RBRs, and some of my extra parts. I also nabbed a bundle of ship parts off of ebay which included a full set of BSB and CC sails.

I changed the gunport covers to black and added a third middle hull plate.

RedbeardRunner1.jpg

I used one of the Whitecap Bay mermaids as a figurehead.

RedbeardRunner3.jpg

I moved the skull up higher which allowed me to extend the cabin out and add a bed for our good captain. I also ripped off the idea of putting a cannon in its mouth.

RedbeardRunner4.jpg

I'm temporarily using the sails from the BSB and CC until I make my own with some fabrics I picked up a Joann Fabrics. I'm also trying to tweak the sail pattern to get 3 sails on each mast using the old style masts. I'm using the RBR spanker sail as well for now. The BSB sails actually go quite well with it.

RedbeardRunner8.jpg

RedbeardRunner11-1.jpg

The deck (though it doesn't look great) is modular. I also made the mainmast taller to allow the third sail, but that sail just doesn't look right without a piece of rigging. I also added a wall and door to close off the cabin and provided a pair of longboats. The anchor is not movable, but it can remain in place.

that's pretty cool. the different sails kid of make it more piraty

Okay, here are some interior shots of the cabin and gun deck.

RedbeardRunnerinterior4.jpg

RedbeardRunnerinterior5.jpg

After a hard day's pillaging and plundering...

RedbeardRunnerinterior6.jpg

Having some rum while reading the charts.

RedbeardRunnerinterior7.jpg

The gun deck. I gave her a full armament for the pictures.

RedbeardRunnerinterior10.jpg

RedbeardRunnerinterior11.jpg

One last ship shot.

RedbeardRunner14.jpg

Captain Roger.

RedbeardRunner15.jpg

Okay, I'm not sure why the photos are still so big. I resized them all in photobucket...

I can give you some feedback since I already made a similar MOC with the same couple of Redbeard Runners and some other pieces I had left. You can check it here if you want :P

First off, and its something I like better in your ship than mine: the railing at the decks edges, (dunno if that's how it is called :P ...sometimes I miss the meaning of some words in english) looks great and gives the ship a very nice and balanced color detail, that's something I couldnt add in my desing, since I had a very limited number of bricks. Also the lower deck, or the gundeck, its really detailed and looks cool, and you also added a modular desing on it, nice :)

Now, maybe its something you already realized, but in my point of view, it would look kind of better if could add a middle mast, since it seems kinda empty and with much space between the main and the top masts..that or get them a little more together..and the last sail in your main mast, (I dont know the exact name for it) I firstly installed it like yours, in the top end of the mast, but it looked a little weird..at least to me,.. so I lowered it a bit, and it worked just fine, again, you can look at my desing for reference.

Overall, a good MOC, nice work! :pir-sweet::thumbup:

I can give you some feedback since I already made a similar MOC with the same couple of Redbeard Runners and some other pieces I had left.

First off, and its something I like better in your ship than mine: the railing at the decks edges, (dunno if that's how it is called :P ...sometimes I miss the meaning of some words in english) looks great and gives the ship a very nice and balanced color detail, that's something I couldnt add in my desing, since I had a very limited number of bricks. Also the lower deck, or the gundeck, its really detailed and looks cool, and you also added a modular desing on it, nice :)

Now, maybe its something you already realized, but in my point of view, it would look kind of better if could add a middle mast, since it seems kinda empty and with much space between the main and the top masts..that or get them a little more together..and the last sail in your main mast, (I dont know the exact name for it) I firstly installed it like yours, in the top end of the mast, but it looked a little weird..at least to me,.. so I lowered it a bit, and it worked just fine, again, you can look at my desing for reference.

Overall, a good MOC, nice work! :pir-sweet::thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback! I had previously looked at your Crimson Skull before I registered as you had done with the RBR sails what I had originally envisioned. When I first attempted this MOC, I had used 4 middle hull plates with the intention of giving it 3 masts. For some reason, I just didn't like how it looked. Maybe it was the positioning or the hull needed to be a little higher. I could move the foremast back a bit, which would require a small alteration to the deck or move the mainmast down to just in front of the cabin...I'm still figuring out the sails, and as I said in the original post, the intent is to have 3 sails on each mast, and I'll most likely throw in a couple of staysails in between the masts. I'm glad you like the railing. :pir-sweet:

I really like the cannon coming out of the skull effect. :thumbup: Interesting ship and an excellent first MOC.

The cannon coming out of the mouth is my favorite part, that will slow down any pesky persuits.

I feel like the masts are too far spaced on the deck. I know that changing the arrangement might interfere with cannons but I feel like the three-sailed mast could move forward.

Good MOC :thumbup:

Awesome classic galleon! The whole stern section with the white arches is really pretty. :pir-wub: Looking forward to seeing her updated rig.

Okay, I have updated the sail plan in two ways, though I don't have the new sails for her yet.

For the Brig sail plan, I moved the mainmast down to the main deck, and made it taller using the RBR bowsprit piece. This allowed the mainmast to be taller and get 3 sails on both the fore and the main. She will have a larger spanker sail than what the RBR normally has. I added a staysail between the fore and main masts.

Brig sail plan.

RBRUpdatedsailplan2.jpg

RBRUpdatedsailplan1.jpg

RBRUpdatedsailplan.jpg

Since I also received comments that it might look better with a third mast, I did a second sail plan with a mizzen mast to make it more of a Galleon/East Indiaman. I borrowed the SES mainsail for the example pictures. The spanker moves to the mizzen mast.

RBR3mastsailplan3.jpg

RBR3mastsailplan2.jpg

RBR3mastsailplan1.jpg

RBR3mastsailplan.jpg

Personally, I'm partial to the Brig plan as it was the original plan for that ship, but it does look good with the third mast. Which one do you think makes her look better?

Okay, I have updated the sail plan in two ways, though I don't have the new sails for her yet.

For the Brig sail plan, I moved the mainmast down to the main deck, and made it taller using the RBR bowsprit piece. This allowed the mainmast to be taller and get 3 sails on both the fore and the main. She will have a larger spanker sail than what the RBR normally has. I added a staysail between the fore and main masts.

Brig sail plan.

Personally, I'm partial to the Brig plan as it was the original plan for that ship, but it does look good with the third mast. Which one do you think makes her look better?

2 masts looks really nice, thought maybe you could try with similar red / white sails, like the ones used in the 1st mast. One large below, and the triangular one on the top, just like the original BSB has, instead of that jolly roger black / white sail from the SES,.. just a thought :P

Also.. have you considered adding the gray / white stripped sail the redbeard runner has in the back in your ship, in the same way the redbeard uses it, but in your ship it could be placed in the spot where the rope descends to the stern. Im using all this description since I dont know how that sail is named, nor I know the same of each mast.. or each sail :pir-tongue:

Edited by Yawgmoth

2 masts looks really nice, thought maybe you could try with similar red / white sails, like the ones used in the 1st mast. One large below, and the triangular one on the top, just like the original BSB has, instead of that jolly roger black / white sail from the SES,.. just a thought :P

Also.. have you considered adding the gray / white stripped sail the redbeard runner has in the back in your ship, in the same way the redbeard uses it, but in your ship it could be placed in the spot where the rope descends to the stern. Im using all this description since I dont know how that sail is named, nor I know the same of each mast.. or each sail :pir-tongue:

Thanks for your comments. She is using the gray/white sail that the RBR used on her aft mast, it just isn't there in the pictures. I plan to make it a larger sail, and as I haven't made the sails yet, I didn't have one for the picture. Unless you meant that I should add that sail as well, and have 2 fore-and-aft rigged sails in the back. If I did that, she would have to stay as a 2 masted ship.