Sign in to follow this  
ProducePrincess

Wheels, Wings and Waves - vancouver science world

The other day I went to the vancouver science world to see the new lego exhibition .It was ok but not the greatest one i've gone to ( too many little kid running around screaming :hmpf_bad: )

I tried to take a couple picture's for you guys but people were walking into my pictures all the time , so here's the few decent ones.

img_0003.jpg

one of the BC Ferries . It's a fairly detailed model of one of the older ferries and you could probably buy the the bricks to build your own with the money you would spend on two ferry tickets.

img_0016.jpg

I actually really liked these bus model's . Theres two cars that crashed into the buses but i was unable to get a good picture of it.

img_0013.jpg

This was possibly the coolest model at science world but after looking at brickshelf it seems it may not be a new ship.

img_0017.jpg

This was pretty impressive .The escalators inside really worked useing a suprisingly simple design . The only thing they didn't include was all the homless asking for change outside the doors.

img_0006.jpg

This is the mountain part of the massive city scene . notice the dungeon underneath filled with troll's ,dwarves , and crownies :classic:

img_0008.jpg

The other end of the city including the Airport and a neat railway.

And the multiple miniland models

img_0002.jpg

img_0001.jpg

img_0010.jpg

so this topic is to discuss the science world lego exhibition , If you have any other pictures please post them :classic:

(this was also the first time i seen little kids running around with surgical masks on ,kindof creepy )

I went a week ago but forgot my camera :hmpf_bad:

You did not include that massive rocket ship they had.

Anyways those are good pics :classic:

Especially with all the kids that were there throwing around there drag racers.

I tried to include it but all i got was this ...

img_0011.jpg

some hyper little kid's kept running infront of me and my camera so i could only get this garbage photo

Im from the island so i could only go in march during and i found out my lego coupon from the magizine wasn't valid in march :cry_sad:

Edited by Black Rabbit

It's inevitable that you'll enthusiastic children running around at a LEGO exhibit. I mean, let's be honest; imagine yourself being 7 years old again and faced with such LEGO goodness. Wouldn't you be excited? I would be. Heck, I was. I remember going to a event organised by the Lego group, called 'The LEGO World Show' sometime in the early 'eighties when I was still a child. I must have been running around too.

I've been in touch with the guy who built railway station and the buses. He has based their design on my bus, and we exchanged some information. It's really neat that they were on display in Canada. His name is Tim Tosino, and he is on flickr , where he has numerous pictures of the bus and of other models on display during the event.

Cheers,

Ralph

I took my family on Wednesday via the 7:00 am ferry. We could only take it until about 11:00 or 11:30 as it was getting too crowded and crazy. In fact we cut short the day @ Science world in general at about 1:30 because it was a zoo. Made for a nice calm visit to IKEA on the way back to Tsawassen and we even caught the 5:00 pm back to the Island.

3370585367_e004e67b38.jpg

These are pretty nice MOCs! I love the ship, the city scene with the random Castle characters underground, and the Zeppelin/Blimp.

Though if I were there myself, it would be annoying to see little kids stealing pieces. That's what thry all do, and that's why I keep all of my pieces locked up. (One whole room, full of nothing but Lego!)

These are pretty nice MOCs! I love the ship, the city scene with the random Castle characters underground, and the Zeppelin/Blimp.

Though if I were there myself, it would be annoying to see little kids stealing pieces. That's what thry all do, and that's why I keep all of my pieces locked up. (One whole room, full of nothing but Lego!)

Do they really? I don't know where you live, but I've displayed models at a number of events in the UK during the last two years, including very crowded ones, and nothing I took has ever been stolen. Things might need a little repair now and then, but that's it. It's usually the adults who try to repair something their children broke who do most of the damage :grin:

Cheers,

Ralph

Do they really? I don't know where you live, but I've displayed models at a number of events in the UK during the last two years, including very crowded ones, and nothing I took has ever been stolen. Things might need a little repair now and then, but that's it. It's usually the adults who try to repair something their children broke who do most of the damage :grin:

Cheers,

Ralph

I think he mean's the play area where kids can build there own creations . I remember going to one event and there was a lego tent there where parents could abandon their kids and I admit to trying to steal a few lego pieces .This was when i was five though.

oh and about the parents that try to repair thing's their children broke i completely agree with , i'll show my parents some of my model's and everytime they damage it they try to fix it themselves ... its the thought that counts :classic:

img_0016.jpg

I actually really liked these bus model's . Theres two cars that crashed into the buses but i was unable to get a good picture of it.

Here's more indepth pictures of the Translink bus I did: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/se...ith/3332523088/ with credit to Mad Physicist (Ralph S.) for his design. It was featured on the Translink Blog and the whole display was on the news on tuesday night. Glad people from the island can make it over. We really should keep in touch with you guys more. Infact at the meeting last night I think we wer even trying to draw inspiration from VICLUG's website. BTW I'm really glad you snapped a good picture of the bus and it looks like everything is in one piece. People have been telling me it keeps getting broken/picked up, but I'm glad nothing has been stolen off it and it survived the majority of spring break intact.

Edited by leavebeaver2me

i wouldve went if i lived in vancouver. in toronto they never do it at the Ontario Science Centre but at the Canadian National Exhibition so I never have a chance to go indoors. BTW, the bottom of that huge rocket ship looks nice :tongue: in chicago, there is a 30 ft (at least) sears tower made of lego similar to this at the childrens museum

Infact at the meeting last night I think we wer even trying to draw inspiration from VICLUG's website.

Apologies for being slightly off-topic but I think you made Joseph's day with that remark. He's our webmaster and put a lot of work into the site and deserves any kudos being offered. :grin:

Apologies for being slightly off-topic but I think you made Joseph's day with that remark. He's our webmaster and put a lot of work into the site and deserves any kudos being offered. :grin:

We've already been exchanging emails back and forth this week, hoping for more VLC/VicLug Cooperation! :)