Sign in to follow this  
gordongordon

REVIEW 30191 Scuderia Ferrari Truck

You may have already learned from the Brickset news archive (reference: /news/article/?ID=3850) that Ferrari and Shell promotional sets are now available in Shell petrol/gas stations in Hong Kong. This Lego promotion, according to Brickset, will be available globally. But since my hometown is the first place for this promotion, I’d love to offer a brief review of one of the sets in this series: 30191 Scuderia Ferrari Truck. I also have 30190 Ferrari 150 Italia in my hand, but I don’t know why I just like the truck more. So fans of racing cars, I’m sorry~

The Bag

This is the front of the polybag. As you can see from the picture on the bottom right hand corner, it’s a pull back car.

7781494048_87a455ea9a_z.jpg

Number: 30191

Name: Scuderia Ferrari Truck

Theme: Racers (Ferrari)

Year: 2012

Pieces: 40

Minifigs: 0

Price: Fill up your car with every HK$400 of Shell V-Power and get one for HK$20

Brickset link: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30191-1

And this is the back of the bag:

7781493762_35c887d859_z.jpg

The whole set is shown under the set number.

All you can get from this set: an instruction, stickers (contained in a tiny paper box) and 40 pieces.

7781493108_b741e8deb3_z.jpg

The Stickers

The stickers (many people hate them, I know) are not that bad in fact. They are nicely designed and produced. The name of the Truck “Scuderia” is printed on the three stickers with the Ferrari logo! That’s pretty cool I think.

7781492796_467fd194b5_z.jpg

The Instruction

1 sheet, 2 pages. The whole series is presented on the second page. Can’t wait to get all of them!!

7781492432_32083a4cf7_z.jpg

7781492074_4d9a565169_z.jpg

7781491732_e2e9b9f2f0_z.jpg

Thanks for the reminder from member Rocketbilly. I've added the release schedule of the cars.

The six cars will be released in three different phases as follows. According to Shell, people can choose any one of the two cars available in that particular phase:

01 Aug - 20 Aug 2012 : Ferrari F150 Italia, Scuderia Ferrari Truck

21 Aug - 09 Sept 2012 : Ferrari F40. 250 GT Berlinetta

10 Sept - 30 Sept 2012 : 485 Italia, Ferrari FXX

The Promotional Leaflets (why bother?!)

Now please allow me to shift our focus from the Lego set to the promotional leaflets of the promotional event. Please bear with me; I have reasons to do this.

I have altogether received 3 different leaflets from the petrol/gas station. Here is the first one:

7781491374_eb2fdfcb3a_z.jpg

Doesn’t look special, right? Trust me, it’s very special indeed and I’ll show you after we finish building the set. Now turn to the second one:

7781491038_6b29fb5463_z.jpg

Again the whole series is shown. But there’s something more!! Even though you may not read Chinese, you should notice the ratio “1:1”. According to the description, there’s going to be a promotional event showing a 1:1 LEGO Ferrari 150 Italia in a shopping mall. And people will be allowed to sit INSIDE the car!! Frankly speaking, I seriously doubt it because it will be very hard to manage the crowd. But I’ll go there definitely and find out if I’m right :tongue: Another exciting thing in relation to this 1:1 model is that there’s a guessing game. Yes, you’re right… guess the number of bricks used to build this model:

7781490740_7f99f3af40_z.jpg

So please give me some ideas. I’m not good at calculation/estimation. One of the prizes is a set of exclusive Lego minifigs!! But there’ll be ONE winner only!! (Just one only?! Too bad!!)

Good news can be found in the last promotional leaflet. Even though only one person can win the prize, there’s another way to obtain the minifigs.

According to the leaflet, one way to get this minifigs for FREE is to “submit” (original wording) 6 polybags at any Shell petrol/gas.

7781490388_dcbe02ea2a_z.jpg

It appears to me that the torso is not printed... but I'm not sure.

The Set

7781490100_d540913d39_z.jpg

7781489474_3733b96a35_z.jpg

Just a 5-min build. I applied all the stickers. I guess for a promotional set like this one, using stickers is unavoidable. Some more angles for this tiny yet decent truck:

7781489196_9275945c82_z.jpg

7781488898_99502f74d1_z.jpg

7781488654_81b75d0897_z.jpg

7781488358_4cf81194ab_z.jpg

Remember I said there’s something special about the first leaflet? Actually it's not just a promotional leaflet! When you open it up, you will have the starting line:

7781487970_e99f7fa1be_z.jpg

7781487724_f6c9ed3e01_z.jpg

7781487404_708fca9162_z.jpg

There’re altogether 6 slots for the 6 sets in this series.

Conclusion

Design 7/10 It’s simple but decent and is able to capture the essence of the Scuderia Ferrari Truck. Nevertheless, I think many builders will build their own trailer to “complete” this model.

Parts 7/10 The parts are common. But the one with the pull back motor should be a nice addition to anyone's collection.

Build 6/10 The build only involves 13 steps. But it’s still fun to build.

Playability 8/10 The pull back function is a terrific feature. After I’ve collected all other 5 models and put them all on the starting line… and then pull them back (need some more hands for sure), there’ll be lots of fun.

Price 7/10 HK$20 for 40 parts…it’s acceptable I think.

Overall 70%

This is my first review posted on Eurobricks; obviously it’s not an insightful one. But practice makes perfect. Hopefully, my next review will be better.

7781487058_5c3b2f9179_z.jpg

Bye!!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION from member Sharky

Sharky is kind enough to find the official English version of the Hong Kong Shell promo webpage for us:

http://www.shell.com.hk/home/content/hkg-en/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/lego_ferrari_model_collection_tpkg/

Just click further in the "About the promotion" link you get this info:

From 1 August to 30 September 2012, fill up with every $400 of Shell V-Power at any Shell stations in Hong Kong to pick up an exclusive model for just 20. For every $400 purchase of Shell FuelSave gasoline or Diesel, you can also get a car at $35.

Get a free set of limited edition LEGO mini-figures by submitting all 6 LEGO model Ferrari packagings at a Shell station or by purchasing Shell Helix Ultra lube change service or 2 bottles of Shell Rimula R6 LM.

Minifigures are available for redemption starting August 20

The LEGO models and minifigures are limited in stock, offer while stock lasts.

The promotion will be subject to terms and conditions. For more details, please refer to the promotion leaflet and website.

Macau: please refer to promotion leaflet available at station. [/Quote]

Edited by gordongordon

This is my first review posted on Eurobricks; obviously it’s not an insightful one. But practice makes perfect. Hopefully, my next review will be better.

Actually, it is very insightful to me. I can't really find much info about these sets and I am very interested in getting all of them. I didn't know about the minifigures or that the leaflet turns into a starting grid. I also wasn't aware that they had a pullback feature. If I'm not mistaken those look like new torso stickers for the Ferrari race crew. The torsos are typically stickers in the Ferrari sets. It would be cool if they were printed, but I can see that they are all stickers.

So, I gather that if you collect all 6 cars you can take the empty packages(?)to a participating Shell station and get the set of minifigures? Do you also have to buy gas for the minifigures, or do you simply pay for them, or both?

I look forward to seeing all the cars reviewed if you are able to do so.

Since they are basically Disney Cars scaled I may look into getting 1 or 2 Cars sets that may serve as a backdrop to display these. Now that I think about it, I should have bought the 8486 Mack's Team Truck set when I saw it on clearance. It could easily be converted into a similar scaled Ferrari truck with some sticker applications.

Edited by sharky

Actually, it is very insightful to me. I can't really find much info about these sets and I am very interested in getting all of them. I didn't know about the minifigures or that the leaflet turns into a starting grid. I also wasn't aware that they had a pullback feature. If I'm not mistaken those look like new torso stickers for the Ferrari race crew. The torsos are typically stickers in the Ferrari sets. It would be cool if they were printed, but I can see that they are all stickers.

So, I gather that if you collect all 6 cars you can take the empty packages(?)to a participating Shell station and get the set of minifigures? Do you also have to buy gas for the minifigures, or do you simply pay for them, or both?

I look forward to seeing all the cars reviewed if you are able to do so.

Since they are basically Disney Cars scaled I may look into getting 1 or 2 Cars sets that may serve as a backdrop to display these. Now that I think about it, I should have bought the 8486 Mack's Team Truck set when I saw it on clearance. It could easily be converted into a similar scaled Ferrari truck with some sticker applications.

Hi Sharky,

Thanks for your kind words. It's really important for a newbie like me to receive support and encouragement from experienced builders. Thank you once again.

As for the minifigs, I just read the leaflet again and found out that one can get one set of minifigs for FREE if one (1)submits 6 polybags or (2)purchase their lube change service or (3)buy 2 bottles of Shell Rimula R6 LM (no idea what it is).

Your suggestion about CARS sounds great!! Mixing these Ferrari cars with McQueen or Mater should be fun!!

There is also a 1:1 model of the Ferrari sitting on the back of a truck. I believe it's travelling around Hong Kong to promote the event. I saw it in Mong Kok. I also happened to be at the Sha Tin New Town Plaza the next day but didn't know about the model. :cry_sad:

There is also a 1:1 model of the Ferrari sitting on the back of a truck. I believe it's travelling around Hong Kong to promote the event. I saw it in Mong Kok. I also happened to be at the Sha Tin New Town Plaza the next day but didn't know about the model. :cry_sad:

I think we're talking about the same 1:1 Lego model.

Just like what you said, the model was first transported to Mong Kok by a truck, showing to the public. This is the first wave of promotion.

After that, it'll be placed in a shopping mall in Shatin for display. The period, as shown on the leaflet, is 18 to 26 Aug (NOT started yet). That's why you couldn't see it even though you went to Shatin.

Really envy you!! I still haven't seen this giant model yet :-(

I thought this was a really great review!! Nicely done with all the pictures and the details. I must say, the sticker placement was done really well too. I can't do it that well. haha

I hope you're able to do the rest of the line on this! I wonder if this will ever make it to the states. It should be interesting on how it works here.

I think we're talking about the same 1:1 Lego model.

Just like what you said, the model was first transported to Mong Kok by a truck, showing to the public. This is the first wave of promotion.

After that, it'll be placed in a shopping mall in Shatin for display. The period, as shown on the leaflet, is 18 to 26 Aug (NOT started yet). That's why you couldn't see it even though you went to Shatin.

Really envy you!! I still haven't seen this giant model yet :-(

That solves that, then. :laugh: I'm sure you'll get a chance to go see it at some point. :classic:

I was able to click through and find the official English version of the Hong Kong Shell promo webpage.

http://www.shell.com.hk/home/content/hkg-en/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/lego_ferrari_model_collection_tpkg/

if you click further in the "about the promotion" link you get this info.

From 1 August to 30 September 2012, fill up with every $400 of Shell V-Power at any Shell stations in Hong Kong to pick up an exclusive model for just 20. For every $400 purchase of Shell FuelSave gasoline or Diesel, you can also get a car at $35.

Get a free set of limited edition LEGO mini-figures by submitting all 6 LEGO model Ferrari packagings at a Shell station or by purchasing Shell Helix Ultra lube change service or 2 bottles of Shell Rimula R6 LM.

Minifigures are available for redemption starting August 20

The LEGO models and minifigures are limited in stock, offer while stock lasts.

The promotion will be subject to terms and conditions. For more details, please refer to the promotion leaflet and website.

Macau: please refer to promotion leaflet available at station.

This is a great review and you seem to have really gotten all of the information of the set and what's happening with the leaflets. I can't wait until these come to Canada :laugh::thumbup: I want my hands on them :moar::excited:

Nice review, 'gordongordon'! :sweet:

These Ferrari sets are okay. It's sad to see Racers replaced. I hope they make minifigure scale Ferrari sets in 2013.

I thought this was a really great review!! Nicely done with all the pictures and the details. I must say, the sticker placement was done really well too. I can't do it that well. haha

I hope you're able to do the rest of the line on this! I wonder if this will ever make it to the states. It should be interesting on how it works here.

Thank you so much for your kind words. :classic:

I also look forward to getting the entire series.

I was able to click through and find the official English version of the Hong Kong Shell promo webpage.

if you click further in the "about the promotion" link you get this info.

That's cool, Sharky.

I'll provide the link in my post for other members' reference.

This is a great review and you seem to have really gotten all of the information of the set and what's happening with the leaflets. I can't wait until these come to Canada :laugh::thumbup: I want my hands on them :moar::excited:

Thanks for your support. :classic:

The "leaflet > starting line" thing is a good design I think.

Nice review, 'gordongordon'! :sweet:

These Ferrari sets are okay. It's sad to see Racers replaced. I hope they make minifigure scale Ferrari sets in 2013.

Thanks for your encouragement. :classic:

I agree with you that these tiny sets are fine. Let's see if this promotion will be a sign for more Ferrari sets~

Thanks for the review! I'm only excited to get the black FXX :tongue:

Thanks for your support. :classic:

The black FXX is really cool indeed. Lego released a big red FXX before; I always want to make a black one~

I remember seeing these announced and wanting them all. Wonder how to get them in Canada...

From the discussion on Brickset, it seems that the promotion will start in other places soon.

Edited by gordongordon

Your suggestion about CARS sounds great!! Mixing these Ferrari cars with McQueen or Mater should be fun!!

At least two of these sets are almost exactly Cars 2 minis. One of them has the exact shape of Jeff Gorvette, and the F1 car pretty much the same build as the Italian badguy from Cars 2. (Which, I'm guessing, the character was actually meant to be - I haven't seen the movie, but there was a Ferrari subtheme in the first movie.

Great review!

Very interesting, well worded and thorough. These little sets certainly look very nice, and I look forward to being able to get one or two of them.

I think you're right about those minifigs, they don't look printed to me. Possibly stickered, which is a shame but I suppose it makes sense since the sets will be hard to find and obtain I expect.The little leaflet is also lovely, I like how it can function as a starting grid.

When you pay for your fuel and go to buy your set, do you get to choose the set you'd like from the full range, or just get given a random set? I'd be interested to know :classic:

At least two of these sets are almost exactly Cars 2 minis. One of them has the exact shape of Jeff Gorvette, and the F1 car pretty much the same build as the Italian badguy from Cars 2. (Which, I'm guessing, the character was actually meant to be - I haven't seen the movie, but there was a Ferrari subtheme in the first movie.

I'm not familiar with the CARS series. But it seems that some cars in this Ferrari series do look like the sets in the CARS series.

Great review!

Very interesting, well worded and thorough. These little sets certainly look very nice, and I look forward to being able to get one or two of them.

I think you're right about those minifigs, they don't look printed to me. Possibly stickered, which is a shame but I suppose it makes sense since the sets will be hard to find and obtain I expect.The little leaflet is also lovely, I like how it can function as a starting grid.

When you pay for your fuel and go to buy your set, do you get to choose the set you'd like from the full range, or just get given a random set? I'd be interested to know :classic:

Thank you for your support and encouragement.

I'm sorry I forgot to explain the release schedule at the onset. :tongue:

When you pay for your fuel, you can choose the model you want. But these 6 cars are released in 3 different phases (i.e. 2 models in one particular phase). For now people can choose either the Truck or F150.

I've just added this piece of information in my original post. Thanks for your reminder. :laugh:

Great review and very insightful on what these are all about. I think they are really cool and will be trying to get them all. :thumbup::classic:

Thanks for your support.

I think they are small but lovely cars. Fans of Ferrari should get them all :wink:

All of the Ferrari sets will be sure to excite Ferrari-fans. :wink: Thank you for the excellent review. I thought it was a nice use of a leaflet to create a little race-track.

All of the Ferrari sets will be sure to excite Ferrari-fans. :wink: Thank you for the excellent review. I thought it was a nice use of a leaflet to create a little race-track.

Thanks for you support. First-time reviewer really needs support from other members.

I agree with you that the design of the leaflet is nice.

gordongordon, thanks very much for a great review. Are you based in Hong Kong too? Do you know of any way to get these without buying the petrol? I don't have a car. Is there an obvious secondary market place? Taobao?

:classic:

Many thanks,

Rob

gordongordon, thanks very much for a great review. Are you based in Hong Kong too? Do you know of any way to get these without buying the petrol? I don't have a car. Is there an obvious secondary market place? Taobao?

:classic:

Many thanks,

Rob

Thank you for your appreciation. Yes, I live in Hong Kong~

There're some Lego shops and online sellers selling the cars. I'll PM you the details.

Gordon, nice review indeed. I can't wait to pick this too, when it is available! Got to collect them all, and now Singapore is about to finish the first wave. :tongue:

Thank you for sharing. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, gordongordon! It's most informative - I knew very little about these, and it's good to be able to find out about them (and everything about the promotion), even if it's a little frustrating for someone such as myself who isn't able to get them.

Really enjoyed your thorough review. Appreciate that you included the booklets and the minifigs, too.

Now I can just hope that these lovely cars come to the US.