Sign in to follow this  
Th3_Br1ck_Kid

MOC: The Boats of Gelo

In the year 2561, a gas giant exists known as R7-55, or Gelo. The planet is inhabited by a rag tag society of aliens from across the galaxy, living on towns built on small low-orbiting asteroids in the planets sea-like gases. However, only an approximate 700,000 people live on the planet, spread out among the surface, making economy difficult. So what most inhabitants do to make money, is build boat-like transporters designed to "float" across waves of gasses. These are used to transport goods between towns, and look like this:

28150218094_04912307f9_c.jpg

(sorry you can see my finger in this photo.)

These "boats" bring and trade goods at trade stores. You can make a trade right through an open window, or you can also buy something inside the shop while your transporter is being loaded.

28150265834_2eb449bc46_c.jpg

Transporters are created by building a hull out of pretty much any material you can get your hands on, then adding a "mast",with some pieces of fabric to catch the wind. Engines usually consist of a few gas tanks connected to a compression chamber, to create a small (or large) flame to propel the transporter through the gasses. A rudder is always added for steering, and occasionally an extra fin or two for stability.

28152885993_96ced5d190_c.jpg

While most transporters are relatively small, this is the largest transporter ever built, owned by Arnold Henderson and is wife. In this picture, it's docking with Dragon Traders, the planets most successful trade shop.

28736463846_91beb9a6b3_c.jpg

The trade shop is so successful, it had a crane built in 2558 so it could load larger amounts of goods in faster time.

The transporter has been designed to go longer distances and hold more cargo, the engine is significantly larger, and also carries a water tank and a generator for the on board cabin.

28736532086_b057f197bd_c.jpg

Even though the engine is much larger, you can still see the similarities it has with the other much smaller transporter.

28768093305_8e9172a742_c.jpg

here you can see the ships cabin, and its detailed interior.

28153120743_3f5ff115de_c.jpg

28483901260_f63cebc0a7_c.jpg

I had some trouble getting a good roof with my peices, so it's a little flimsy. You can see my design though.

28768182765_b8b2ee04a8_z.jpg

Sometimes pickup trucks ship out goods to other planets. This is an old one way back from 2234!

28662998462_7acd0a702c_c.jpg

And here are some shots from inside Dragon Traders.

28150601934_c1cb4bfd50_c.jpg

28736698736_bebffdf63e_c.jpg

28736718166_783ddc0c35_c.jpg

Here you can see the shop level of the trade store. Funny, I thought they stopped selling alien weapons.

And for fun here are some goods that are often shipped between towns.

28150692304_bbaa8c3c3a_c.jpg

Gold, warp crystals, and carbon rods. And always, a transporter operator should be aware of the unpredictable lighting storms that happen in the planets gassy layers, as they can easily knock a transporter off course.

hope you enjoyed the post,

Th3_Br1ck_Kid

I love this. Nice builds, especially details on the trader's little building. Nice writeup too, I've always been a fan of those settings that are just infinite open sky.

The 1x2 tiles in the last photo - that doesn't look like a Lego color, where're they from?

Diggin' the concept idea, although I think the builds needs some more refinement. :thumbup:

Diggin' the concept idea, although I think the builds needs some more refinement. :thumbup:

I agree. The concept is supercool and has s lot of potential. Ships skimming the surface of gas oceans - thats quite different from usual scifi tropes. Very good! :classic: :thumbup:

For the builds I recommend some bricklinking to get more greebly-pieces, aviation/space components and maybe a couple technic beams and such too for a proper, improvised and industrial look.

I love this. Nice builds, especially details on the trader's little building. Nice writeup too, I've always been a fan of those settings that are just infinite open sky.

The 1x2 tiles in the last photo - that doesn't look like a Lego color, where're they from?

Being carbon rods, I wanted to use glow-the-dark tiles. The specific ones I used were from the Diagon Ally set from 2012