Hey guys!

As i've anounced you some days ago, i made a brand new snowmobile wich totally kicks the hell out of the MK I i made two years ago...

This is lighter, faster, nicer and mainly better built than the previous one :D

I wanted to shoot the video before posting it, but i'm not sure there will be snow tomorrow on the mountain where i'm going to shoot it...

so for now here come the pics and i'll cross fingers that i won't make 50km uselessly :D

14tv6no.jpg

Features:

- Power functions

- Front independent suspensions

- Rear track suspensions

- Rc buggy motor for drive and servo for steering

- Improved track thread

- Custom stickers

9gedrl.jpg

you can see how i improved the track by adding 1x1 rounded plates in each hole of the threads,

now it has way more grip also because i moved backwards the center of mass placing the lipo battery under the seat.

In theory it should avoid the front skiis to sink in the snow...

the rear suspension also helps pushing the thread against the ground...

It performs really nicely on the carpet...but i think it will be fine on the snow too :P

s4788g.jpg

there's a lot of ground clearance so it could easily deal with 2 or 3 cm of fresh snow.

Front suspension is really soft so it should be stable if one of the skis goes on a bump.

2hgzbco.jpg

as you can see in this picture i've removed every atachment that sticked out of the track and the skis to avoid a braking effect once it's in the snow..

I also placed all the electric components quite high so the snow dragged by the track shouldn't reach 'em

2m4r5td.jpg

detail of the track with 1x1 rounded plates :)

11sh1qg.jpg

i hope you'll like it :)

Edited by piterx

just too awesome!

Stickers look very nice as well. Great job! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lets hope the weather is good and snow is plentiful. :tongue:

After seeing your post about the upcoming project, I have been working on my own snowmobile. I have snow here and have tested. I think you may have a problem with the front skis. They look tip heavy and not wide enough. This means that they will dig in very easily, if the snow is soft. Of course, your weight bias on the track may make this observation moot. Good luck.

On another related note, has anyone tried to order the red rubber cleats directly from lego? The prices on bricklink are scary.

My snowmobile (sled) is awaiting a bricklink order for rev 2.

v/r

Andy

Looks sweet! With a buggy motor it should be pretty quick too.

After seeing your post about the upcoming project, I have been working on my own snowmobile. I have snow here and have tested. I think you may have a problem with the front skis. They look tip heavy and not wide enough. This means that they will dig in very easily, if the snow is soft. Of course, your weight bias on the track may make this observation moot. Good luck.

On another related note, has anyone tried to order the red rubber cleats directly from lego? The prices on bricklink are scary.

My snowmobile (sled) is awaiting a bricklink order for rev 2.

v/r

Andy

nice observation but i can assure you that if the MK I was able to go through the snow

this new one will fly over it :P

this one was more than 800g, with center of mass completely wrong as it was on the skis and a regular track but it was working anyway

Wow, that thing looks awesome!

Could you tell me what gear ratio you used?

i directly attached the RC motor to the driveshaft...so 1:1

of course it's a small gear so it doesn't run FAST...but it's pretty quick and has cool torque :)

I think you may have a problem with the front skis. They look tip heavy and not wide enough. This means that they will dig in very easily, if the snow is soft. Of course, your weight bias on the track may make this observation moot. Good luck.

I'm worried about the negative caster angle too. We'll see how it goes.

Should be relatively simple to fix it by dropping the rear end a bit.

I cant wait to see it in real snow! Will it be able to stay above 6+ inches of fresh powder, or will it sink?

tim

This looks great!

Especially like the stickers!

Mine will be a lot heavier due to lack of LiPo, but on the plus side it will have two motors and the added range of radio control!

It looks really nice o.o! Might try one in the future!

But ain't the seat a bit short? I'm no expert, just my opinion :P

big day out guys!

it works really good...more than i expected :)

im editing the video, in the meanwhile have a look at this pic...hope you'll like it!

rjhbbt.jpg

Looks great. I can see you've used the smaller 8 x 4 battery pack which will improve speed and lesson weight. is it the AAA or the rechargeable? it will defo run faster. I look forward to the video.

H

Very very cool! Fantastic performance, and with amazing good looks. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You have definitely set the bench mark for all snowmobiles.

WIsh their was snow here! I'm blasting the AC today, 31 Degrees. haha

Edited by Doc_Brown