BrickPerfection

WIP: Achille and Guerrière, French Frigates of 28 guns

Great job. I can't wait to see them finnished. One thing I would suggest is that you should use the new gold windows instead of the yellow and black. I think they would look a lot better. :pir-classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

I've been building on my stern today and decided to change the lantern since it's too much black and yellow now.

Your lanterns look better to me, but I don't know exactly how you built them, so could you show me a better picture of it?

Well, it's very time-consuming. I've already made about 300 knots for just one mast, so good luck :pir-wink:

But it's looking good so far, keep it up!

The rigging so far is looking good. Seems like Black rigging is catching on! Are you going to use Admiral Croissants' way of rigging or the CGH...... Or the Perfectionist way?

I hope I can somehow avoid making so many knots in the ratlines; might use glue. Sorry, but I'm just inexperienced and impatient with string :pir-tongue:

Well a good thing is that the rigging is super tight, so that it really stabilises the masts; I can hold the deck at 90 degrees and they won't fall off! :pir-cry_happy:

And yes, you're right: black string looks so much nicer :pir-sweet: Esspecially your 50 gun American frigate really benefits from it!

Great job. I can't wait to see them finnished. One thing I would suggest is that you should use the new gold windows instead of the yellow and black. I think they would look a lot better. :pir-classic:

I don't share that opinion.

I've been building on my stern today and decided to change the lantern since it's too much black and yellow now.

Your lanterns look better to me, but I don't know exactly how you built them, so could you show me a better picture of it?

My digicam is pretty rubbish, I can't get a good close-up, essentially it's using these bricks with 4 transparent cheese slopes and a 2x2 dish on top.

I've taken the design from the lanterns I made for the Superbe a while ago, but these here are smaller.

As soon as I can afford it, I'll get myself a better camera and also use white cardboard for the background; really it can't be that mediocre MOCs get more attention just because they're better photographed.

-Perfectionist

As soon as I can afford it, I'll get myself a better camera and also use white cardboard for the background; really it can't be that mediocre MOCs get more attention just because they're better photographed.

a nicely ironed bed sheet works just as well, and is less expensive :pir-wink:

Very nice! The sterns are quite magnificent! :pir-wub:

The parts alone cost around 400 Euros per ship :pir-skull:

Yeah, LEGO models aren't cheap! :pir-laugh:

Excellent work! Very fine ships. I like the string you used for the ratlines, it looks much better than the somewhat "hairy" string I used on the Achilles and Sabre. Will you be using the same string for the "horizontal foot ropes" (for lack of a better word) on the ratlines?

And I sympathize with Admiral Croissant. Rope rigging (especially ratlines) takes a ridiculously long time.

-Swab

I haven't posted on Eurobricks for quite a while, but have followed the progress of these ships and would like to say that they are looking fantastic!

Both are looking great! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Now quite some time has passed and -of course- work on my frigates has continued.

Both have been largely rebuilt and Achille now has 6 midsections.

They both feature a new and very innovative mast design. :pir-wink:

I'll post a major update later, but here's a teaser pic of Achille, her standing rigging being almost completeted!

dscn0036.jpg

I'm quite satisfied with how she looks, but what do you think?

Been waiting for you to post an update and I must say WOW! Love the ratlines. The black string looks really great.

Two ships! Hey, thats a good idea. very nice techniques. :thumbup:

Yeah but one ship versus three. No way getting out of that :pir-devil:

Sorry Armenderiz, I'm going with the redcoat. Joey and I already had this debate. Listen what Sun Tzu says: Numbers confer no advantage. :pir-tongue:

Man that's one of the best riggings on a Lego ship I've ever seen!

The crossed rope between the 2 stays also turned out very well.

I wanted to do that on the Vesta too but I didn't manage to...maybe try it some other time again.

Are you planning to add sails as well? Wouldn't be a shame if you don't because most model ships don't have it, but it could look vrey nice.

Anyway, please don't wait too long with the major upgrade because I can't wait to see more of this!

Ok, to the rigging...MY.....GOD. I do not know how you people achieve this, I've tried on my schooner, but it just didn't look right to me, mainly because she has no crows nests or anything to really attach it to, so it kept falling off. Your ships are amazingly beautiful, and if I didn't know they were Lego I would say they were wood. Well done, and thanks for blowing me away :pir-grin:

I'm quite satisfied with how she looks, but what do you think?

Quite satisfied? You should be proud, thats the most beatifullest Lego ship what i have ever seen, i mean at how in the world did you do that? I mean at that is unbelivible, its just makes the ships looks so real. You have to teach me to do that for sure :pir-tongue: i can only say at unbelivible work man, that ship is now my favorite ship. I guess this should be blogged and soon

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

Undoubtedly the finest ship (or pair of ships I should say) I've ever seen. Excellent work! I'll definatly be using these ships for inspiration in the future. The rigging looks fantastic, and I'm anxious to see how you made the ratlines. More pictures!

-Swab

That really is a great looking ship, you must have so much patience to do that rigging. Did you end up tying it all, or going with the glue? Either way, its looking phenomenal.

Anyway, please don't wait too long with the major upgrade because I can't wait to see more of this!

No worries, here's the upgrade. You might have seen some of these pics on Brickshelf already.

First of all I'd like to credit Admiral Croissant for the bell design and inspiration on deck details and masts with 3 sections.

I also have to thank Captain Green Hair, Admiral Bèjaune and Captain Blackmoor for help and inspiration on MSN.

Now here we go:

Actually so many things are new that I can't really mention all of them, but the most important changes are:

-6 midsections

-more brown pieces used in the hull

-deck details in dark red

-completely new mast and yard design using 32 long technic axles, technic connectors, SNOT platforms and 3mm tubes

-black string rigging (standing rigging only so far) with smaller strings being glued for additional detail

-improved stern and captain's cabin

-completely new bow

-the hatch on the gundeck is now accessible and there's now a combuse

No. of guns: 22 on gundeck, 6 on topdeck, 6 swivels, 2 bow chasers = 36 in total

No. of Lego pieces used: ca. 4800

Amount of string consumed: ca.140m

Under construction since: October 11, 2009

dscn0071.jpg

dscn0110.jpg

dscn0115.jpg

p1040088s.jpg

dscn0155.jpg

dscn0160.jpg

dscn0191.jpg

dscn0188.jpg

p1040795.jpg

dscn0134.jpg

dscn0181.jpg

dscn0099.jpg

dscn0101.jpg

dscn0171.jpg

dscn0198.jpg

dscn0202.jpg

dscn0210.jpg

dscn0214.jpg

dscn0219.jpg

dscn0222.jpg

dscn0234.jpg

dscn0227.jpg

dscn0249.jpg

The colours, esspecially red and dark red are a bit messed up due to poor lightning. Sorry for that, it's only WIP though.

I'll update Guerriere again, Achille will get some sails and rope details (steering wheel, anchor) and possibly a bit of running rigging and then...

... she'll be completed.

Actually that would be overdue after almost a year of construction!

Hope you like her so far!

Looks great! The addition of the 6th center section greatly improved her lines IMO. What sort of glue did you use for the ratlines? On my ships I tied each line individually, and needless to say it takes a LONG time. Will the sister ship also be stretched to 6 mid sections?

- Swab

She is fabolous indeed, cant wait to se her finished, We have to be careful when we are taking over those ships at we dont damage them badly. Keep it up

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

what a beautiful ship.. really really how it looks, it's awesome, great job !