Sign in to follow this  
Francis Dampierre

The Battle of Culloden

Ahoy all! After some pretty bad entry attempts at the most recent JRC contest, I wasn't sure if I could knock out a contest-worthy MOC that I could feel proud of. So when I heard of the Bayonets at Dawn contest, I saw a chance at redemption...and a sudden inspiration. Ever since I read Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped, the Jacobite rebellion in the highlands of Scotland has fascinated me, characterized best (in my opinion) by the daredevil Alan Breck. :pir_laugh2:

So, in honor of this well-written book, I have decided to "legofy" the Battle of Culloden, the last defiant stand of the Jacobite rebellion east of Inverness. Rather than directly copy a portrait of the battle, which I have a poor parts selection for, I decided to depict a small skirmish of Jacobite forces attacking a British artillery crew. Without further ado, here it is:

img_1448.jpg

An overview of the skirmish.

img_1449.jpg

Here, we see from behind the British line. The artillery crew has just lobbed off a shot and is preparing to reload under orders of the gun captain.

img_1450.jpg

Now from the Jacobite party. I haven't found any good "kilt" decals for the highlanders, does anyone know where to find them? :pir-sceptic: An interesting bit of trivia: the Highlander tactics (as they were armed only with broadswords and bucklers) were to hit the dirt at the first volley of musket-shot, strip off their heavy kilts, and charge the British line while shouting and bellowing. I decided to keep the MOC PG-rated and let them keep the kilts :pir-wink: .

img_1452.jpg

A closeup of the cannon. Sorry for the bad resolution, I'll use a better camera when I enter the final draft. Perhaps I should extend the shot cloud, or make it arc over? Comments/criticism are welcome! :pir-blush: Note the terrified jacobite who narrowly missed a rather messy demise.

img_1447.jpg

One of the Jacobites leaps on a Redcoat with his broadsword raised. Again, my apologies for the bad resolution.

A link to the Brickshelf Gallery: Click Here

The wikipedia article (Be sure to check out the uniforms and battle map!): Battle of Culloden

Please comment and criticize away, I want honest opinions on the battle. Thanks! :jollyroger:

Edited by Francis LeBaron

Nice job, Francis LeBaron!

I think you captured the battlefield quite well with people running in every direction and good expressions of the minifigs. However, I think you need to find a way to make your MOC stand out a little more, it's not much more than a baseplate with plants and minifigs now. I don't know much about this battle but I read on the wiki site that it took place on a moor, maybe you should add some brown and dark tan plates to the ground to make it more authentic?

Now from the Jacobite party. I haven't found any good "kilt" decals for the highlanders, does anyone know where to find them? :pir-sceptic: An interesting bit of trivia: the Highlander tactics (as they were armed only with broadswords and bucklers) were to hit the dirt at the first volley of musket-shot, strip off their heavy kilts, and charge the British line while shouting and bellowing. I decided to keep the MOC PG-rated and let them keep the kilts :pir-wink: .

That's a really funny fact! :pir_laugh2: I think you should use it to make your MOC more unique by giving the Jacobites yellow legs. After all, it's just LEGO, no one will get offended by that.

the Jacobite rebellion in the highlands of England and Ireland has fascinated me...

That would be Highlands of SCOTLAND not England.

Very nice WIP! :pir-classic: I was just wondering, why are the jacobites all wearing blue bandanas?

-

General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater