The Bay of Seals. An inhospitable body of water even in the midst of summer. In the early weeks of spring, it is a positively murderous expanse of icy blue.

26473759482_8d33137119_o.png

It was not a particularly inviting place to come ashore, but it was not dusk of the second day since the Blanchefleur had foundered east of the Bay of Seals. The wind had driven hard from the north, and rather than fight against it to reach the mouth of the Bearclaw River and the port of Nordheim, the castaway had rowed south, coming ashore in an inlet on the east bank of Gronnfjord, the westernmost tributary of the Bay.

26500052471_cdec16801c_o.png

The ground was hard rock - sheltered for the most part from the weather by the steep sides of the fjord, there was little sand on the beach, merely a rugged slope of gray stone, broken somewhat by small plants, and no doubt exposed by whatever cataclysm had cut the Gronnfjord into the into the land. A chilly, damp wind, bearing with it an icy tinge of the bay, swept up as the lone, weary traveler laid the oars on the rowing bench and climbed stiffly out onto dry land.

26566128715_de792e1b2b_o.png

He lifted a wooden staff from the bottom of the boat. It was taller than he, completely smooth and straight save for a large knot at one end. He settled the staff in his left elbow as he pulled his cloak tighter around himself and pulled down his weather-beaten hat.

He reached back under the cloak and checked the position of several items strapped to his back, then stood erect and looked around him. The failing light of the sun revealed a path, not perhaps comfortable but at least safe, winding its way up the side of the fjord. Gripping the staff in his gloved right hand, the traveler climbed the beach, leaving the rowboat hanging by a few rocks under its keel. The first good rain or strong wind would dislodge it, but the traveler did not care. Where he was going now, he would have no need for this rowboat. Many long leagues lay between him and his destination, and doubtless many perils and adventures. The fate of one small Avalonian rowboat mattered little to him.

26540019116_ee170a7f6f_o.png

At long last, he returned to his homeland, Mitgardia, but for how long and to what end remained to be seen.

Edited by VK-318

Very well-written and intriguing story, VK-318, and very nice build as well! :wink: The grey slope of the shore with the small bits of vegetation is quite good, although I think adding a few tiles and maybe some more smaller angled plates to make it less regular would help :thumbup: Great execution of the icy water, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from your traveler! :classic:

Great story, and very nice build! The wedge plates work very well for a rocky shoreline and I like the little bits of vegetation. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing where this story goes :classic:

Very well-written and intriguing story, VK-318, and very nice build as well! :wink: The grey slope of the shore with the small bits of vegetation is quite good, although I think adding a few tiles and maybe some more smaller angled plates to make it less regular would help :thumbup: Great execution of the icy water, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from your traveler! :classic:

Thanks! I'll remember that next time I work on a shoreline. :classic:

Great story, and very nice build! The wedge plates work very well for a rocky shoreline and I like the little bits of vegetation. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing where this story goes :classic:

Thank you! I look forward to building the story. :sweet:

Great start to your Mitgardian builds! I like the wedge plate shore, with the occasional flower or leaf added :thumbup: Good story too :classic:

Great start to your Mitgardian builds! I like the wedge plate shore, with the occasional flower or leaf added :thumbup: Good story too :classic:

Thank you! The vegetation was a last-minute addition - I literally kept rearranging it until right before I shot those pictures. I had trouble deciding how much there should be that close to the water. I'm glad it works for you.

Nice build, like the wedge-plates

Thanks! :classic:

Nice vignette! I especially like the landscaping and the sense of purpose the minifig head and pose conveys :classic:

For the overview shots, I would recommend backing the camera away a bit (as long as possible :wink:) and zooming in instead to make the part closest to the camera less magnified.

Nice vignette! I especially like the landscaping and the sense of purpose the minifig head and pose conveys :classic:

For the overview shots, I would recommend backing the camera away a bit (as long as possible :wink:) and zooming in instead to make the part closest to the camera less magnified.

I'm glad you like my build! Thanks for the photo tip. The build is still together, so I'll probably take some more pictures of it like that and put them up here.

I like the effect of the many wedge plates and how they form sort of a rounded corner. Maybe you could have added a line of material (deposited by the sea) on the lowest level of rocks, to make it a tad more irregular and for just a little more detail. Posing of you character and placement of the boat are perfect though, as well as the vegetation, which is very appropriate for the geographical place that you have chosen. I'm curious how the story proceeds, keep up the good work! :classic::thumbup:

A simple, but effective shore!

Thanks! :classic:

I like the effect of the many wedge plates and how they form sort of a rounded corner. Maybe you could have added a line of material (deposited by the sea) on the lowest level of rocks, to make it a tad more irregular and for just a little more detail. Posing of you character and placement of the boat are perfect though, as well as the vegetation, which is very appropriate for the geographical place that you have chosen. I'm curious how the story proceeds, keep up the good work! :classic::thumbup:

Thanks for the color tip. I'll try to remember that next time I work on a shoreline. I spent quite a while figuring out how to make the position of the boat in the water look "right." I'm glad it works.

Great work here, both moc and story!! I really like the feel This moc gives!

Edited by de Gothia

Great work here, both moc and story!! I really like the feel This moc gives!

Thanks! :sweet:

Nice little vig..I like the spots of green scattered here and there that give it a realistic effect.