MOC: Hong Kong Cable Repairing Locomotive

17 replies to this topic

#1 benny

benny

Member: 4111

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

It is a cable repairing locomotive  used in Hong Kong. The logo is KCR mean Kowloon Canton (China) Railway. It has one control room. At the back part of it, there is the machinery hand to pick up the equipments. The raising system with lift can assit the workers to checkthe cable (High voltage electric cable). There is also the equipments for repairing the cable or railway.
Original locomotive:
http://www.brickshel...pic_image12.jpg
http://www.brickshel...pic_image11.jpg

Edited by benny, 05 July 2010 - 11:05 AM.

#2 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

• god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Looks great! But it seems strange that there is a pantograph atop the loco as it is a cable repair truck. So wouldn't that mean that when it goes to repair a dead wire it wouldn't be able to do so because the pantograph can't extract power from the cable? Never mind, I'm confusing myself.
Looks tops, and your moving platform design is cool too. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#3 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

Fantastic 'Benny' you have done it again ! :laugh:
Great maintance train you have here, that lift platform - AWESOME ! :grin:
Can you post a picture of a real one to compere please, I wonder too about the pantograph !
Anyway a fantastic job, heaps of playability..........keep on bricking 'Benny' keep on bricking ! :grin:

#4 benny

benny

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Feb 10 2010, 05:16 AM, said:

Looks great! But it seems strange that there is a pantograph atop the loco as it is a cable repair truck. So wouldn't that mean that when it goes to repair a dead wire it wouldn't be able to do so because the pantograph can't extract power from the cable? Never mind, I'm confusing myself.

Thanks for your reply! I have the same idea.

I don't have enough information about this locomotive. Actually, it ismainly for daily checking of cable and railway. I think if it is really out of power from cable, it may have battery inside or gasoline using for standby.

#5 booga-b

booga-b

Member: 9412

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

hahhah very very cool train there. brings back memories of HK. keep up the good work

#6 Ashi Valkoinen

Ashi Valkoinen

Member: 7207

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

Great MOC, I like the details and pictures taken about the part of the loco. Perhaps you need to put some replacement cables on the deck.:)

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Feb 9 2010, 10:16 PM, said:

In Hungary there are many repairing locos with pantograph. Because there are not repairing locos in every stations that's why they use pantographs below "alive" cables and use diesel under "dead" lines. I think perhaps pantograph's other function is testing the repaired wire. It doesn't matter why, but these locos have pantograph. :) Like this:
Posted Image

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen, 10 February 2010 - 08:44 AM.

AV
Brickshelf | My MOC topic on EB
ρ•grad(δ2Φ/δt2)-(λ+2μ)•graddivgradΦ+ρ•rot(δ2Ψ/δt2)+μ•rotrotrotΨ=0

#7 benny

benny

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:03 AM

View PostAshi Valkoinen, on Feb 10 2010, 04:41 PM, said:

Great MOC, I like the details and pictures taken about the part of the loco. Perhaps you need to put some replacement cables on the deck.:)

In Hungary there are many repairing locos with pantograph. Because there are not repairing locos in every stations that's why they use pantographs below "alive" cables and use diesel under "dead" lines. I think perhaps pantograph's other function is testing the repaired wire. It doesn't matter why, but these locos have pantograph. :) Like this:
Posted Image

Thanks for your information.

I think you are right. For the Hong Kong locos one, it should be made in Europe as no locos. factory is in Hong Kong. Most of other locomotives in Hong kong also come from Europe e.g. Germany.

#8 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Ignoring the possible conflict of power delivery, I think this looks alot like the real thing, adn it's a fun functional piece.  I particularily like the lift portion.

#9 benny

benny

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

View PostBig Cam, on Feb 10 2010, 09:29 PM, said:

Ignoring the possible conflict of power delivery, I think this looks alot like the real thing, adn it's a fun functional piece.  I particularily like the lift portion.

Thanks a lot! For the lift,i improved it for 3 times, it is the best one.

#10 ZueriHB

ZueriHB

Member: 9062

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

View PostAshi Valkoinen, on Feb 10 2010, 09:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

I think it's more to test and analyse the overhead wires for behavior while pulled by a diesel or electric engine. I don't think this is a self propelled engine, and if so, only in limited qualities (low top speed).
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#11 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

This is pretty nice Benny.  I've never seen a cable repair loco before, so this creation is certainly unique.  Looks like it has some interesting features and details.

I hope you don't mind, but I've spruced up your photo a bit for the front-page. :thumbup:

Posted Image

#12 Lumpy03

Lumpy03

Member: 9300

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

Nice MOC, it looks like the real locomotive. Do you test on LDD before to make a real MOC or not ?

:classic:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

A really cool loco Benny!
I love all the yellow on the loco, it makes it look very cute!
And the features are really impressive! :oh:  :thumbup:
The resemblance to the real thing is spot on!
Nice job making this great engine.

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#14 benny

benny

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

To TheBrickster: Thanks for your comment and post it on the front page, i am very happy to see it with the hong kong scene background. I will try my best to make more interesting train and loco.

To other lego fans: As i change to night duty work since Feb 2010, i don't have time to try the loco on 9V system for checking. As the bottom of the loco is not complex, i think it can move efficiently.  I am happy to see many lego fans like this design and color.

#15 The Player Nº1

The Player Nº1

Member: 9578

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Really nice MOC. One day i want to build like you guys here, in EB.
Regards

#16 benny

benny

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

View PostThe Player Nº1, on Feb 15 2010, 09:27 PM, said:

Really nice MOC. One day i want to build like you guys here, in EB.
Regards

I am looking forward to see your MOC train. I will make more and more train sets later!

#17 Brickadier General

Brickadier General

Member: 1705

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:54 AM

Ni hao!
This is a fantastic replica of the real train.  Can't stress how much of a good job you did.  Does the Hong Kong Lego Users Group have a group train layout at conventions?

And this question is off topic but...Are there any Lego Users Groups in mainland China?  I ask because I may be living over there in the near future.

Again, great job.

#18 benny

benny

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostBrickadier General, on Feb 26 2010, 09:54 AM, said:

Ni hao!
This is a fantastic replica of the real train.  Can't stress how much of a good job you did.  Does the Hong Kong Lego Users Group have a group train layout at conventions?

And this question is off topic but...Are there any Lego Users Groups in mainland China?  I ask because I may be living over there in the near future.

Again, great job.

For the hong Kong, it has two lego user group, the first one is Minifigure.forum, it has over 5000 members. The another is Hong Kong Lego User Group, it is smaller group but it has more professional lego users. For the train MOC or layout, it is not the main topic in Hong Kong as the train price is very expensive in Hong Kong.

In China, most of lego users are individual but their MC are very professional.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users