Matija

New world record for tallest LEGO tower

So, today the world record has been beaten. The new record is 30.22 m, about 500000 bricks were used during 4 days. The Danish ambassador, together with a representative from the Guinness book of world records and the local police (dunno why?) did the final measurement. The tower will be demolished tomorrow, so if you're in the vicinity, be quick :)

Here are some pictures from the last hour of the event:

img_1159.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1162.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1184.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1187.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1192.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1196.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1199.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1209.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1220.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1223.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1224.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1240.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1243.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1245.jpg_thumb.jpg img_1246.jpg_thumb.jpg

That sure is a high LEGO tower. Crazy world records seems to never end.

It does have a support in the very middle, but (as far as I recall) it's loose, and serves only as protection from the wind. The modules are hammered on top of each other and it's the studs who do the job.

Speaking of which... just as everyone was watching the young fella going up to put the last piece, a strong wind came causing the top of the tower wingling around... it was a looong minute :)

Amazing! I would have thought that such a build would collapse under its own weight! I suppose it could be possible to compute just how tall a Lego tower can be before such a thing happens. I wouldn't want to be the brick at the bottom, so much weight on my shoulders! :tongue:

It does have a support in the very middle, but (as far as I recall) it's loose, and serves only as protection from the wind. The modules are hammered on top of each other and it's the studs who do the job.

Speaking of which... just as everyone was watching the young fella going up to put the last piece, a strong wind came causing the top of the tower wingling around... it was a looong minute :)

What's with all the wires running to it, that doesn't look free standing with all those wires holding it up???

Either way it's a stunning site, becasue that thing is really tall.

What's with all the wires running to it, that doesn't look free standing with all those wires holding it up???

I suppose they have the wires up for safety reasons, just like the metal bar (?) running through it, and as long at they're not providing any real support the structure is considered free standing. Just imagine, that kind of structure falling down would be spectacular... and lethal! :cry_sad:

Safety reasons indeed, I guess it wouldn't be allowed to stand there (for 4 days) otherwise.