Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Two

chapter_two.jpg

Throwing open the doors, the detectives walk... into darkness...

Chaos ensures for a matter of minutes, until someone find the light switch. Then the detectives survey where they are.

p1060258.jpg

Apparently you have entered the Dining Room. And what a room it is. Stretching to the west of the house, it is massive, and just as fine as the foyer, if not more so. Other than the door you entered through, there is one other door in the middle of the north wall. The table is laden with food, and a large chair sits at the far end, with a slightly smaller yet equally as grand one sitting at the closer (eastern) end of the table.

p1060264.jpg

Two other chairs stand on the north side of the table. In the middle of the table is a large black candelabra, and above it is a chandelier similar to the one in the foyer.

p1060261.jpg

In the far north-western corner of the room is another statue, with three examples of modern artwork on the walls to either side. A large banner adorns the west wall, with two shields above it.

p1060262.jpg

The south wall (not pictured) has a large oak cabinet in the centre of it, with two large portraits, one on either side of it. The cabinet itself has a large central cupboard on top, with three draws and three smaller cupboards underneath. Another cabinet is in the south-western corner. In the south-eastern corner is a grandfather clock with a small table next to it which holds a lamp.

The eastern wall (not pictured) is the one through which you entered. On either side of the doors is another statue like the ones in the hallway, except these hold large ornate pikes instead of swords.

There are also two beautiful Persian rugs on the floor, one under the table and one beneath the chair at the east end of the table (not pictured). In the north-eastern corner is a large wooden coat rack, which holds a dark red coat.

"Well, let us take a look around and see what we can find" suggests Dragonator.

Remember that to win the game you must answer the following four questions:

WHO committed the crime?

WHERE was the crime committed (which room)?

WHAT was the murder weapon?

WHY was he killed (motive)?

For the full list of rules, please click on the picture at the top of the page or follow this link.

Participants:

1. ImperialShadows - Peter Crawford; Lawyer

2. Sandy - Susan Greenwood; Receptionist

3. WhiteFang - Dr. Phillip Marshall; General Practitioner

4. Hinckley - Max Sinclair; Actor

5. Sir Dillon - Michael Dunne; CEO of Brick Plates

6. jipay - Bernard Knightly; President of the DHPT

7. ImperialScouts - Lieutenant John Spencer; Soldier

8. Sir Nadroj - Dermot Stephens; University Student

9. Mr. Mandalorian - Dr. Gregory Grimsworth; University Professor

10. TheBrickster - Anthony Blackwater; Private Detective

11. Erdbeereis1 - Chef Frederick Valentine; Chef

Uh... which one of you grabbed my megablocks in the dark? :pir-blush: Nevermind, I don't really need to know. Hopefully, we'll run into some more dark rooms later. :pir_laugh2:

Hmmm, so many things to check out, I suspect we'll be here for the rest of the day.

For starters, I think I'll head over to the large oak cabinet on the south wall and take a look at all it may hold in it's cupboards and drawers.

Peter, quick to adjust to the light, walks over to the large oak cabinet on the south wall. The top cupboard swings open to reveal a large 42 inch plasma television. The three draws and the cupboards are locked however. Each has a small keyhole in it.

It is my understanding that Lord Chester also used this room as a conference room for meetings that didn't need to happen in his offices.

Ah, another grandiose room to investigate! I'm glad that there are no corpses here, either.

Let me check the banner on the west wall. It looks as though there might be something behind it...

I wonder if the key I found will work here. Let me try that.

Excellent idea. :thumbup:

While you're doing that, I'll just flip on this television and walk over to investigate the rug under the easternmost chair. Seems odd to me that it has it's own rug.

John pulls out his small key and tries it in one of the locks in the cabinet. The key does not fit, it is a bit to big.

Meanwhile, Miss Sandy goes to look behind the banner on the western wall. There is nothing behind it except the stone wall.

Peter looks at the TV and then switches it on. It appears that it is currently set to the DVD player, which is underneath the screen. Peter then walks over to look at the rug underneath the chair at the eastern end of the table. It is a small square rug which nicely fits the chair on it. The pattern on it consists of a boarder of red flames on a blue background, with a spiralling design in the centre done in dark greens and blues. You cannot see anything else of any note.

I'd like to move the chair and the rug. Is there anything under the rug, like a trap-door perhaps?

Also, I'd like to check the underside of each chair in the room, very closely.

There's definately a lot to investigate in this room, so I suggest we do not leave until we "unturn all stones".

This is a very beautiful room, the dining room is my 2nd favorite room in any house, apart from the kitchen of course, as you can see from my jolly figure.

The modern artwork seems suspicious to me, considering that this is an old manor. I think I'll Examine behind the modern paintings.

I think I'll turn on the dvd player to see just what is in it, then take a closer look at the food and drinks, paying special attention to odd smells or any obvious signs of poison. Perhaps Dr. Phil could help out, since he might be able to spot things of that nature with his medical experience.

I would like to find another puzzle to solve before Mr. Blackwater beats us all to it again.

Ah, my hunch was apparently wrong. Well, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a closer look at the intimidating armor standing right next to me. Maybe I should try to move the sword, to see if it hinges.

John pulls out his small key and tries it in one of the locks in the cabinet. The key does not fit, it is a bit to big.

But I have a tiny key, these keys must be the size of an ant :pir-oh: !

Dr. Phil climbs up on one of the small black chairs and takes a look at the chandelier. It is made of a wooden inner circle with gold fittings spaced around the outside. You cannot see anything else worthy of note.

Meanwhile, Anthony decides to take a closer look at the rug under the chair. Moving it aside does not reveal anything underneath it unfortunately. He then goes to look underneath all the chairs, but does not find anything of any note.

Chef Frederick decides to inspect the three modern paintings. They appear to all be by some painter named Pablo Piccaso. The two paintings on the north wall are simply hung on hooks and you can easily lift them off. There does not appear to be anything behind them. The picture on the west wall seems to be attached to it however, you cannot get it off.

Peter switches on the DVD player, but nothing happens. It appears that there is no disc inside the player. A little disgruntled, Peter walks over to the table and inspects the food. There are a couple of bites out of one of the chicken legs at the west end, but other than that the food is untouched. You cannot detect any obvious signs of poison; for example nothing appears to be bubbling suspiciously.

Michael walks over to the coat rack and searches the pockets. There is a label in the top that says C. Dracus. There are also three pockets. The first is empty, the second contains a handkerchief and a spare button, and the third contains a pair of gloves, a credit card and a small envelope with a letter inside. The letter reads as follows:

Dear Lord Chester,

I would be honoured to accept your invitation to take a look at your collection, I understand it is one of the finest in the world for Draconian artefacts. It can be very difficult to study this amazing time with not many specimens to work from, so I appreciate you opening your collection for my inspection. I will talk with you soon to arrange an appropriate time to visit the house. I must tell you that I am very excited about this opportunity, as your predecessors have never been willing to have visitors for some reason. I look forward to speaking with you.

Yours sincerely,

~G. G

Miss Sandy, unhappy that she did not find anything behind the banner, decides to take a look at the suit of armour in the corner. It is very different to all the previous sets, and has a common dragon design on the shield, cape and breastplate.

Perhaps a skilled historian might know what this is?

Miss Sandy pulls down on the sword arm of the armour. A click can be heard, and the painting to the left swings off the wall on smooth hinges, startling the Chef who was vainly trying to pry it off the wall. Behind it is a small niche containing a pistol and single sheet of paper. It seems to be another cryptogram, and reads as follows:

wfn kcqqlbjz wb wfn gbhkewnj xq hbynr.

Oho! Another cryptogram!

Quick, let's hide it from Mr. Blackwater. :pir-tongue:

A click can be heard, and the painting to the left swings off the wall on smooth hinges, startling the Chef who was vainly trying to pry it off the wall.

Hey, I was close! :pir-laugh:

wfn kcqqlbjz wb wfn gbhkewnj xq hbynr.

I look away as I hear the sound of Beethoven's 5th in my head...

EDIT (to prevent a double post)

Does anyone know if there's a computer in the house?

"The password to the computer is money"

Indeed! But then again, would the 2nd cryptogram have been this easy? It may be a "Red Herring".

Indeed! But then again, would the 2nd cryptogram have been this easy? It may be a "Red Herring".

Easy? :cry_sad:

Great job guys! Now, let's make sure that we have overturn this entire room. I will like to take a closer look at the suit of armour in the corner.

Great job guys! Now, let's make sure that we have overturn this entire room. I will like to take a closer look at the suit of armour in the corner.

What exactly are you looking for, if I might ask?

What exactly are you looking for, if I might ask?

Er...a computer or a chimney...or some money. Sorry. :blush: