Gearslover01

Winter Village Sets - Rumours and Discussion

So far in the past years, we've seen in a Christmas Winter Village:

*Toy Shop

*Winter Bakery

*Post Office

What else would you like to see in the future for the Winter Village? My prediction is it's going to be a church or a simple village home. What is your prediction?

Not a church. We've been through that. TLG has taken a secular stance in all their themes... so as much as I'd LOVE an old stone church all trimmed for the holiday season, it won't happen.

I'm still yearning for that Santa and his team set, complete with a brick built sleigh and new reindeer molds...!

So far we've had buildings to fit the traditional past-times of Christmas.

Toys - toy shop

Food - bakery

Sending letters - post office

So I'd hazard a guess at either a cosy home scene with chimney and kids asleep with stockings by the fire.

Or kids queueing up to see Santa in some sort of grotto.

I'd love to see TLG bring out a generic deer mold which could be a reindeer, or just a deer depending on the antlers.

A full scale crib scene would fit perfectly but again is too religious. Note that it's a 'winter village'etc not a Christmas one!

Edited by andhe

I just got the newest LEGO catalog yesterday and it had the post office and bakery in it, so are you guys speculating for Christmas 2012?

I just got the newest LEGO catalog yesterday and it had the post office and bakery in it, so are you guys speculating for Christmas 2012?

What else would you like to see in the future for the Winter Village? My prediction is it's going to be a church or a simple village home. What is your prediction?

Edited by Edmond Dantes

I guess I was confused since he said in past years, which made me think that he thought the sets listed were from previous years, even though two are from this year.

I just wasn't sure if here knew what I assumed he knew.

Carry on, and I think a full sized ice rink would be cool.

I think a grotto would be the next logical step, but I'd imagine there will be a sled involved next year.

I believe the next set will be a music store. The one action that is not covered yet is singing, and a music store would give us all the tools to make a choir without the religious twist. I do not think a house is in the future since it is not part of the "town square" scene they are creating. They could add another skating area which would allow us to expand the rink size as well.

I could see either a music store or candy shop or a train station or maybe some kind of sled, snowshoe, coffee shop lodge sort of building.

Black Friday. A small department store with scenes of chaos. Minifigs fighting over products, wrestling with each other and arguing over cutting in line. What could be more traditional? Would come with 2,000 minifigs. :wink:

In all seriousness, I think a Santa's grotto would be a nice addition to the range. Or perhaps a small Macy's style parade.

I guess I was confused since he said in past years, which made me think that he thought the sets listed were from previous years, even though two are from this year.

I just wasn't sure if here knew what I assumed he knew.

Carry on, and I think a full sized ice rink would be cool.

???

The sets are from previous years. The theme started in 2009 with the Toy Shop, continued last year with the Bakery and this year's set is the Post Office. There is one per year. The holiday train, while not officially part of this theme, was released in 2007 and goes nicely with this too!

2012: I'd like to see a small house, or grotto.

Well let's see. They're all named like "Winter Village _____". Except for the precursor "Holiday Train", which may or may not be in the theme, strictly speaking. So I would expect the next set to be named with "Winter Village" in the title as well. So what else comes in a village? I wouldn't expect a house like some people say, I would expect more shops.

I think a candy shop was a good guess. Maybe a old timey gas station, the kind where the pump has glass on the top? Maybe a sledding rental shack?

How about the big conical building where the highway department stores the salt that the snowplows spread on the roads?

What, not that attractive a set and not fitting with traditional theme, you say? Yes, but think of all the cool parts -- big horizontally curved slope sections! Plus scruffy looking minifigs drinking coffee while loading their snowplows!

Or maybe a Christmas tree farm with ~20 of those old little pine tree parts arranged in a field. That would be a good parts set!

Or perhaps Winter Village Super Bowl Party at Biff's House?

More realistically, I like the idea of an ice rink, especially if it had a pickup hockey game going on.

Or maybe a Christmas tree farm with ~20 of those old little pine tree parts arranged in a field. That would be a good parts set!

Oh, that would be great. I'd buy like 3 of them just to "farm" some trees for my collection. And if they did that withthese snow-covered trees, that would be great. Those suckers go for like 3 or 4 bucks on BL.

3471pb01.jpg?0

I'd like to see these show up in the winter sets in any case, even just one or two.

A LONG LONG time ago I worked up several ideas for this theme in the "Ideas for New City Sets" thread:

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

To turn the conversation down a new avenue...

In light of the success and pending re-release of the Winter Toy Shop, I'd like to propose that TLG creates an entire subtheme of...

Holiday!!!

I've always thought this is lightning just waiting to strike, and the possibilities are endless. Some ideas:

1. First and foremost, the definitive Santa set complete with a dedicated reindeer mold (something that can accomodate a 1x1 round trans red for Rudolph's nose of course). Santa, the full team of deer, the sled, and whole slew of presents in the back. What kid-- no, what person-- wouldn't pay up for this????

2. The Christmas Tree lot-- lots of trees, lots of 'lights' on strings, perhaps a family loading their tree onto the roof with the generous salesman's help.

3. Santa in the Park-- a fair size 'outdoor' set complete with the community Christmas tree and a Santa's workshop structure where the kids are standing in line to talk to Santa. Go tell him you want that BB gun!

4. Holiday home-- a reasonable minifig-sized house all decked out in its holiday best. Kids are outside making a snowman, mom is inside baking her cookies, and of course we would have to throw in Dad hanging the lights on a ladder.

5. We've seen the carolers, but I'm sure we could all use a few more in a small set a la City Minifigs... They could also do holiday shoppers, etc.

6. How about the sledding hill-- lots of kids on old school wooden sleds, with maybe a skier or Gravity-Games era snowboarder thrown in for good measure.

7. Finally, the home run in the entire line would have to be The North Pole!!! Santa's home, complete with the workshop, the stalls for the reindeer, and good ol' Ms. Claus tidying up the place. And of course, it would have to include (Castle fans may now begin drooling) ELVES! Perhaps just a face mold, but maybe something more for the ears. And this set could surely invite additional add-ons such as Santa's runway, elves at work, etc. etc.

I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY like to add the idea of an old snowy stone church and/or nativity set, but sadly I admit it's a bit of a gamble for a corporation to go the religious route (although I know my brother's kids have a Fisher Price nativity set, BTW). Either set would be great and add so much to a full town display.

The other big hurdle would be the marketing-- how do you sell an entire line that is so focused on a single time of the year. Perhaps their best business plan would be to sell one or two yearly in the fourth quarter when you know it's so much easier to sell-- I just can't see them selling Santa's Sled in late April, but if it's released for a limited time after Halloween the demand would be extreme. Perhaps selling it periodically as a line could turn this into a collectible situation like the modular buildings. It could be marketed like those porcelain Christmas village lines carried in all the craft shops-- except infinitely better!!!

Thoughts?

This post has been edited by Mr. Elijah Timms: 31 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

10222 Winter Village Candy Shop :laugh:

I'll follow up with the same prediction only that the set # will be;

10229 Winter Village Candy Shop

Well let's see. They're all named like "Winter Village _____". Except for the precursor "Holiday Train", which may or may not be in the theme, strictly speaking. So I would expect the next set to be named with "Winter Village" in the title as well. So what else comes in a village? I wouldn't expect a house like some people say, I would expect more shops.

I think a candy shop was a good guess. Maybe a old timey gas station, the kind where the pump has glass on the top? Maybe a sledding rental shack?

Actually 10199 was just called Winter Toy Shop, but thats because it was the only set in the series at the time...

I like the idea of a candy shop, and it certainly sounds the most realistic. I could see some kind of little Christmas tree farm with a building that maybe sold ornaments or decorations - possibly some poinsettias, too.

I could see either a music store or candy shop or a train station or maybe some kind of sled, snowshoe, coffee shop lodge sort of building.

A candy or coffee shoo would be awesome.

I don't know what the next Winter Village set will be, but I do know one thing - okay, maybe two or three things - that I vehemently DON'T WANT it to be: Santa's Workshop, a Nativity scene, and the Old Stone Church. TLG's opposition to overtly religious motifs in Lego sets is not only an opinion that I respect but also something that I personally appreciate as a Jewish AFOL. I have little need for a church in my Winter Village. I'd rather have a giant Menorah-lighting ceremony down on the village green, but I understand that not all AFOLs will share my preference.

My own personal preferences aside, the Winter Village should be mostly secular and nondenominational. That's the way the ceramic villages it mimics are made. They do feature some churches and Christmas trees, but for the most part they consist of houses and hotels and pet shops and toy shops and tailors and lighthouses and duckponds and skating rinks and whatnot, focusing on the joy and community of the winter setting and the "Norman Rockwell meets Charles Dickens" nostalgic vibe of a magical time that never was, rather than the religious aspects of the holidays. Look at the offerings from Department 56, one of the oldest and most popular makers of "Christmas villages": they've got churches, yes, but only a handful of them amongst hundreds of other buildings.

Further down the line, if the Winter Village continues as a yearly tradition, it would not be out of place to get a little church as part of the village. But I'd rather have a candy shop, a sleigh ride or horse and carriage, a schoolhouse, hardware store and barbershop (all staples of the ceramic winter village scene) before we get the old stone chapel. And Santa's workshop never really needs to come as far as I'm concerned. I mean no offense to Christians by this. Santa Claus just isn't something that's traditional to me.

As for predictions, my money is on a candy shop.

My gut feeling is also a candy store, being logical that's.....baked goods, toys, posting cards and next lollies....makes sense. :wink:

We might need another Winter build contest again eh ? :laugh:

It's a good question which set we'll get in the Winter Village range next year.

I find it very hard to say since I personally would even never have thought that we'll get a post office in this theme. So apart from religious elements and crime nearly everything is possible.

Nevertheless I could well imagine that we'll get a candy shop or an apothecary. A general store might well be, too.

But I can't imagine that we'll get a train station without train (since then the winter train is missing (not everybody had the chance to get one) or a gas station (imo much more supposably in the regular City theme) or a music store (I'm not convinced that there are enough people which would buy one). And although I really would like to get a Winter Village family home, I doubt that we'll get one because of the reason already mentioend that until now we only got shops.

So the only thing which lasts is regrettably to wait and see.

Klaus-Dieter

Yes a Candy Store sounds the most realistic, I would love to see a Winter Village Library, or a Winter Village Decoration Shop. This would sell trees, various Christmas decorations, and Christmas related food :thumbup:

So far we've had buildings to fit the traditional past-times of Christmas.

Toys - toy shop

Food - bakery

Sending letters - post office

So I'd hazard a guess at either a cosy home scene with chimney and kids asleep with stockings by the fire.

Or kids queueing up to see Santa in some sort of grotto.

I'd love to see TLG bring out a generic deer mold which could be a reindeer, or just a deer depending on the antlers.

A full scale crib scene would fit perfectly but again is too religious. Note that it's a 'winter village'etc not a Christmas one!

Yes but i think that Drinks have been left out so I am going to guese a pub will be the next step and then the house, groto, candy store ect.

Edited by GingerWookiee

I don't know what the next Winter Village set will be, but I do know one thing - okay, maybe two or three things - that I vehemently DON'T WANT it to be: Santa's Workshop, a Nativity scene, and the Old Stone Church. TLG's opposition to overtly religious motifs in Lego sets is not only an opinion that I respect but also something that I personally appreciate as a Jewish AFOL. I have little need for a church in my Winter Village. I'd rather have a giant Menorah-lighting ceremony down on the village green, but I understand that not all AFOLs will share my preference.

My own personal preferences aside, the Winter Village should be mostly secular and nondenominational. That's the way the ceramic villages it mimics are made. They do feature some churches and Christmas trees, but for the most part they consist of houses and hotels and pet shops and toy shops and tailors and lighthouses and duckponds and skating rinks and whatnot, focusing on the joy and community of the winter setting and the "Norman Rockwell meets Charles Dickens" nostalgic vibe of a magical time that never was, rather than the religious aspects of the holidays. Look at the offerings from Department 56, one of the oldest and most popular makers of "Christmas villages": they've got churches, yes, but only a handful of them amongst hundreds of other buildings.

Further down the line, if the Winter Village continues as a yearly tradition, it would not be out of place to get a little church as part of the village. But I'd rather have a candy shop, a sleigh ride or horse and carriage, a schoolhouse, hardware store and barbershop (all staples of the ceramic winter village scene) before we get the old stone chapel. And Santa's workshop never really needs to come as far as I'm concerned. I mean no offense to Christians by this. Santa Claus just isn't something that's traditional to me.

As for predictions, my money is on a candy shop.

Erm...Santa Claus isn't a Christian thing, it's a commercial thing. Christmas to Christians is the birth of Jesus, not god ol' Saint Nick. :wink:

Erm...Santa Claus isn't a Christian thing, it's a commercial thing. Christmas to Christians is the birth of Jesus, not god ol' Saint Nick. :wink:

Whilst he isn't entirely Christian, doesn't the honorific 'Saint' give you a little clue about his role as a Christian figure?