Shtick

Brasso on Chrome?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I did a search, but couldn't find my answer. Let's say I wanted to remove the print from the torso of the chrome Stormtrooper without harming the chrome? Will Brasso be too abrasive? I'd like to end with a shiny printless torso. Suggestions? Thanks!

Depends, If the chrome is printed on then it will harm. If lego used a different technique to apply chrome such as electroplating the chrome directly to the fig then I'm guessing that you'll be ok. I am not held liable if you ruin Mr. shiny.

Depends, If the chrome is printed on then it will harm. If lego used a different technique to apply chrome such as electroplating the chrome directly to the fig then I'm guessing that you'll be ok. I am not held liable if you ruin Mr. shiny.
The chrome is electroplated on, then the printing is printed onto the chrome. :wink:

I'm not sure if Brasso would be the best choice for removing the print for chrome torsos. There might be a lacquer on the chrome or on both the chrome and printing that protects it from damage, but brasso might also remove the chrome as well as the print. :sceptic:

We don't see chromed parts with printing on it often (and if we do, they're usually uncommon or expensive), so I don't think that anyone has any personal experiences on this topic.

Silvo is not as rough on surfaces as Brasso is, I use Silvo on mode switch contacts in VCR's and they come up a treat.

But be careful, do a small test first before going completely all out.

This is what happened when someone removed the chrome from light sabers. I'd assume the same would happen to a torso. Also it's a cheaper quality figure and the chrome is probably cheaper too. :sceptic:

2969383030_36bd79c14e.jpg

Were they trying to remove the chrome? Sure looks that way. I was planning to get the Stormie magnet and clean him off. I may still give it a try. I've got a few varnish removers and thinners at my work. I'll do a few tests.

I don't want to sound negative but I am almost positive this can't be done.

i wish you the best of luck, but I can't see the printing coming off without scratching or removing some chrome too.

This is what happened when someone removed the chrome from light sabers. I'd assume the same would happen to a torso. Also it's a cheaper quality figure and the chrome is probably cheaper too. :sceptic:

2969383030_36bd79c14e.jpg

Wow! Those sabers look AWESOME! I have to do that...

I did a search, but couldn't find my answer. Let's say I wanted to remove the print from the torso of the chrome Stormtrooper without harming the chrome? Will Brasso be too abrasive? I'd like to end with a shiny printless torso. Suggestions? Thanks!

It will definitely destroy the chrome at the same time.

Wow! Those sabers look AWESOME! I have to do that...

That wasn't done with Brasso, it would be impossible to get in every crevice that well, those were soaked in bleach. The specific amount of time varies, but bleach does a nice job removing chrome. I've dechromed a few pieces that were worn, revealing the natural colour underneath. The only problem with lightsabers as an example is that they are rarely anything but bley or grey underneath. I haven't found one of the unique colours yet, but I've heard of red and blue in addition to those shown. The easiest way to tell is to look for an area inside the ends where the chrome doesn't completely cover (assuming you don't have a damaged one with plastic exposed already).

I've definitely seen red under chrome exhaust pipes, as well as transclear. Haven't tried a crown yet.

Dechroming is a unique way to salvage otherwise damaged parts and make something new, though outside of having unique lightsabers, I can't really come up with a good use for any of them.

Thanks for the responses! My plan was to make a shiny fire suit for a town figure. I guess I'll look for another method. :classic:

Thanks for the responses! My plan was to make a shiny fire suit for a town figure. I guess I'll look for another method. :classic:

If you are really serious and willing to go the extra mile, an email to brickarms might yeild some results.

You never know.

Shoot an email to the ChromeBricks.com guys outta' Germany before you go ahead. They should have some expert advice you're looking for.

Edited by LegoDad42

Shoot an email to the ChromeBricks.com guys outta' Germany before you go ahead. They should have some expert advice you're looking for.

In fact the ChromeBricks guys would probably make you some chromes minifig torsos to order. That's probably a better idea than ruining your Stormtrooper.

You always could test it on the helmet.
Or just buy two, and try it on only one of them. If it removes the chrome and print, you would at least have a blank stormie helmet.