CM4Sci

Unreleased/Cancelled LEGO Sets

I saw J2G's new video and thought this would be a nice discussion topic.

Have you guys heard of any LEGO things that have been cancelled? :sweet:

I was going to start a thread for this.

I saw the video and was impressed.

The snake train was such a good idea. Same with the aliens theme in #5

#5 Sea-Tron would have been great.

I'd love to see another monorail out there. The large base set in the center picture also makes me drool a little...

I love those sea-people aliens new molds. I also love the various medieval sets, including Europa. Too bad many of these were never released.

Some time ago I stumbled upon this prototype image for 4402 - Sea Riders. I don't have a story for it though.

hzpoau_prototype.jpg

EDIT: I think this is where I stumbled

ALSO: There were two Creator polybags that missed out on physical releases, with only their instructions allegedly available for download. This actually happened for a few things between 2005-2011, but only the Truck and Airliner's digital instructions got lost for some reason.

Edited by Gnac

There also is Two LEGO Mars Mission unreleased mini sets like the alien jet and crystal hawk...

Alien Jetpack, and Astronaut jetpack.

Interesting video. Some of the cancelled themes and sets sounds cool and the idea behind them is also good as well.

The only set I know that Lego cancelled are a Geonosian Arena set (Althrough it's still a prototype set) that originally released at 2002. From anything I heard, TLG cancelled the Geonosian arena set because they think it won't sell well (A lazy reason you have there, TLG).

I've heard that the Ninjago train wasn't a set made by LEGO.

There was never a Ninjago Snake Train planned for production, Mark Stafford made the model as a bit of a joke.

Galidor has a few unreleased sets registered on Brickset, obviously canceled due to the lackluster performance of that theme.

Brickset has a few unreleased sets in several themes registered, its just I don't remember them all.

Is there any way to find out more about those prototype Castle sets, or where to find more of them? I think that prototype sets and unreleased themes and ideas are more interesting then the sets that actually came out. :shrug_confused:

Edited by BrickJagger

Is there any way to find out more about those prototype Castle sets, or where to find more of them? I think that prototype sets and unreleased themes and ideas are more interesting then the sets that actually came out. :shrug_confused:

Agreed. I love a lot of these unreleased ideas, and I'd love to see more of them. It's too bad all of the Castle pictures were so small.

Nothing too interesting except the monorail :wub: We really, really need a new monorail!!

The Europa theme sounded really cool. I can see why the initial town square set was not released as there isn't anything to the set. 3 baseplates, a few arches and bricks with some figures tossed in.

Edited by Wodanis

The 1930's gangster theme is my personal fave out of the lot. Looks like the cars from the theme use bespoke chassis and wheels. We did eventually get something like an old gangster car with the Indiana Jones Shanghai Chase from 2009.

it would be really nice/cool if the lego group could release the instructions for canceled sets. I imagine a few had gotten to that stage of development before being canned. of course not all did and would require new work on a dead product so highly unlikely.

Normally I hate these clickbait-y "Top 10..." videos, but this one was really informative and good! The sets are all pretty old, however. I'm curious to see more recent cancelled sets.

Anybody know what happened to World Racers Race 7 or Power Miners vehicle 13?

Anybody know what happened to World Racers Race 7 or Power Miners vehicle 13?

In the case of Power Miners, it's entirely possible that they just skipped 13 the same way that many high-rise buildings do. No use risking bad luck when you're deep underground. :tongue:

Did you guys ever know about the 2 cancelled Alien Conquest sets? They looked awesome, it really sucks we never got them.

Did you guys ever know about the 2 cancelled Alien Conquest sets? They looked awesome, it really sucks we never got them.

Anywhere we can find pictures? I quite liked the theme as a whole.

Are these Wave 2 sets? John Stafford revealed that they designed an entire second wave (which he claimed had a lot of awesome ideas) which got cut.