Name: The Werewolf

Setnumber: 9463

Theme: Monster Fighters

Year: 2012

Parts: 235

Minifig: 2

Price: €19,99

Bricklink

Here is my third review for the Monster Fighters theme. As with 9461 I build it a few days ago. No unopend bag shot, sorry.

For the theme itself, I'm very impressed so far. The overall design of the builds and the figures is great. In my opinion one of the best action themes in recent years. But enough talk, here is "The Werewolf". Enjoy.

The box of this set is pretty big. Lots of empty space in it. The back shows off the playfeature and the glow in the dark claws. Cool

001axg.jpg

002abx.jpg

The instructionbooklet. Twisted as always. There is a nice picture at the end of it showing the characters face-off.

003wsa.jpg

004feu.jpg

005olq.jpg

The Minifigs.

The werewolf is a nice and new design. A mix of the CMF werewolf and the "put on head" one from the Studios line. A cool little figure with amazing prining details. Major Quinton Steele has a singlesided head with nice face expression and one of the most useful torso and leg prints this line has to offer. I can't say it enough times, the prints are gorgeous.

006wt.jpg

007ypn.jpg

008dxb.jpg

Same cool pieces in this set. You got a golden fez, darkbrown gun, trans-orange 1x1 brick, silver frog, olive leafs and the longer cheeseslope in tan. :thumbup:

009mmv.jpg

Up to the main build. First the Majors Hot Rod. Very nice design. Nothing to hard in the building progress.

010aa.jpg

011odi.jpg

Next part is the tree. There are a lot of bricks used inside the trunk (2x4 green brick, for example). The outside is sometimes very fragile but in the end it is sturdy. I like the use of the new brick bricks at the bottom. Gives the build a weathered touch.

012vxn.jpg

013im.jpg

014mw.jpg

015zaa.jpg

The spare parts. Nice to see another glow in the dark claw.

016mw.jpg

The finished set. The tree has a nice creepy vibe to it. I like it.

017jf.jpg

Last thing is the playfeature. You can place the Werewolf (or any other minifig) on top of the tree, pull the lever down, the front leafs split and the figure flies through the air. It functions very well and is fun to play around.

018ii.jpg

019sq.jpg

020pox.jpg

Final thoughts

Playability: 8/10

The Hot Rod is a nice little vehicle, there is always a good playvalue to such a thing. The playfeature in the tree works well and adds a lot to this set.

Minifig: 10/10

Just great. Amazing detail and useful prints. I like the new werewolf design, even if its head is a litte big.

Parts: 9/10

Nice selection of brown and tan. The new olive colored leaves gives a nice variety of foliage.

Price: 10/10

€0.08 per piece. Nuff said.

Total: 37/40 recommended

Other Monster Fighters Reviews:

9461 The Swamp Creature

9462 The Mummy

Edited by Plissken

Another great review ' Plissken ', this set is better than the mummy one....the car and creepy tree make the set....oh, of course not forgetting Wolfman Jack there ! :laugh:

Again thanks to City, Super Heroes and perhaps LOTR....not enough money to go around all the themes....so pass. :classic:

You're on a roll with these Monster Fighters reviews, 'Plissken'! :sweet:

The tree looks great, and so does the werewolf. Major Quinton Steele is definitely my least favorite Monster Fighter. He seems a bit to bland for my likes, and the same goes with his car. :sad:

What? No weird eyes on the tree this time out? :wacko:

Steve

I think the werewolf looks like a halloween costume,don't like it,I got Steele on BL and the car loose from ebay.

The werewolf definitely looks like a Halloween costume. The car is pretty cool. Nice trio of reviews. The photos are pretty good, but some of them are a bit too dark. Like the pictures of the figs, can't really see the details of them, especially the werewolf. His back looks good though, as does Major Steele.

This set is better than I expected.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review. It looks like a decent set. I was planning on getting this anyway, mostly for the figures and parts. I still prefer the CMF werewolf though. There is just something about that put on head that seems too bulky to me, but otherwise I do like it. It's more cartoony/playful I guess.

Nice review! This set looks fun and I might pick it up. Is the werewolf head made of ABS or is it rubbery?

Do want! :blush: I love the victorian-type look of Steele, and the car looks fun. I may have to buy this. Danke for the review!

Good review. I like that this set uses a similar action feature to 2258, and that it is less conspicuous here. At the same time it doesn't seem to have the same effect when it's just a few leaves/branches being knocked aside rather than a thick grove of bamboo being slashed with a sword.

The car is nice and compact but not at all <insert that tiresome argument>, closer in design to some of the cars in the Indiana Jones theme than to the simpler vehicle designs in Pharaoh's Quest and Adventurers. The tree is also very intricate and cohesive-looking, although it would have been cool if those spikes and bones were glow-in-the-dark. The front of the tree is also very flat compared to the back and sides.

The Werewolf here is great. I don't have much preference between this guy and the one from Minifigures Series 4, which have very different design considerations. But I definitely prefer this werewolf with his slightly geometric face design to the one from the LEGO Studios "horror" wave or the Harry Potter theme. This one feels a lot more like it could be related to the LEGO dog-- either style-- than the old one did. The fur on the back of his head is a lot more detailed than I expected, though-- I guess no more detailed than a typical LEGO minifigure hair piece, but I was expecting some flat "tufts" of fur in layers rather than such intricate texture.

The claws on the werewolf look much better than I thought they would, mainly because they're curved.

Nice review! :thumbup: I realy like the car, nice rambo gun. Actuly I have the old werewolf

tree and I have to say this tree does look a little better. :blush:

Edited by Im a brickmaster.

I wasn't too impressed with the werewolf when the first pics surfaced, but lately it has grown on me. I like it quite a lot already - we'll see how this changes when/if I manage to purchase this set (as I'd like to, but money is skint and there's so much to buy this year!). I think it's not at its best when photographed straight from the front, but little from the side it starts to look much better. The backside of the head is very nice. At first I had some reservations about the CMF Minotaur headmold too, but when I got it to my hands I saw how great it was.

I wonder if someone will make a MOC with the werewolf of a certain scene (not to spoil it for the non-readers) in A Song of Ice and Fire... :sick:

Great reviews of these MF sets Plisskin, thanks heaps! I think you've changed my mind about this one - initially i thought it had a really cobbled together look, but on further inspection the car looks great and there are some really nice peices in the tree too. :thumbup: I'll be waiting until it gets discounted though.

Am I the only one who is disapointed that warewolfs head have no normal minifig head under it? IT could easily fit...

Me too, but wouldn't it be a lot like the old Studios werewolf set? What kind of head would he have underneath?

I'm fairly new to Lego so I defer to the experts here on EB,what's the name or number I guess would be more appropriate of the small front tire on the car included in the werewolf set? I'd like to replace the big rear tires with the smaller ones and would like to know what to look for,any info greatly appreciated,thanks!

Thanks,I didn't need to get new tires after all though,I got the red hot rod from the Pharoahs Quest set and swapped the bigger tires onto that one,the link will definitely come in handy for future use though so thanks again!

Thanks a lot for the review, it's really a good read. It actually reminds me a lot of the old werewolf set

q203d4p2z3a4s544z216b4b416n2f4n4m5s2c4u254r21334x2.jpg

which I never got, unfortunately. While the new one has a much better car and more detail overall, I must say that 3 figures would have been nice and eyes on the tree would have been amazing. But first of all, I would have liked some of the humans to look a little more civilian in the MF sets, it's just more useful and more fun to play with, I think. Still, this is on my list.