Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Six

chapter_six.jpg

Pushing open the wooden door, the detectives enter the master bedroom, home to the late Lord Chester. The bookshelf in front of the door on the inside swings out smoothly, and you look into the room.

p1060749.jpg

The bookshelf and passageway door are in the west wall. The floor is again of wooden boards, and there is a large rug in the middle of the floor. The room is lit by a small crystal chandelier on the ceiling (not pictured). In the centre of the east wall is a large bed with a canopy.

p1060754.jpg

The canopy is hung with dark red draperies, and the pillow is also dark red, standing out against the white sheets.

p1060751.jpg

To the left of the bed is a small bedside table with a drawer in it and a black reading lamp on top. To the left of this, in the north-eastern corner is the door leading into the ballroom, which you remember is locked.

p1060752.jpg

Against the north wall is a table and chair. The table holds a red leather-bound book and a fountain pen.

Looking to the other end of the room (not pictured), there is a large chest of drawers against the east wall to the right of the bed, and to the right of this, up against the south wall, there is a floor-length mirror with a gold-leaf frame. The west wall is mostly taken up by the bookshelf hiding the doorway. In the south-western corner is a small door which appears to lead to an en suite.

The detectives move into the room, hoping to find something of interest...

Remember that to win the game you must answer the following four questions:

WHO committed the crime?

WHERE was the crime committed (which room)?

WHAT was the murder weapon?

WHY was he killed (motive)?

There is also the optional challenge of piecing together the events of the previous night. Try to find out as much detail as possible.

For the full list of rules, please click on the picture at the top of the page or follow this link.

Participants:

1. ImperialShadows - Peter Crawford; Lawyer

2. Sandy - Susan Greenwood; Receptionist

3. WhiteFang - Dr. Phillip Marshall; General Practitioner

4. Hinckley - Max Sinclair; Actor

5. Sir Dillon - Michael Dunne; CEO of Brick Plates

6. jipay - Bernard Knightly; President of the DHPT

7. ImperialScouts - Lieutenant John Spencer; Soldier

8. Sir Nadroj - Dermot Stephens; University Student

9. Mr. Mandalorian - Dr. Gregory Grimsworth; University Professor

10. TheBrickster - Anthony Blackwater; Private Detective - Deceased; Death by Chandelier

11. Erdbeereis1 - Chef Frederick Valentine; Chef

Ooooh. Being here first, I'll grab the book and start reading it, but not until after I've squirted the fountain pen in Max's face. Accidentally. :grin:

Aaah! My face! What an unfortunate accident! :look:

I would like to search the tapestries above the bed (and wipe my face with them)

Nice room.

I think I'm going to inspect the bed. Looking on top of the sheets, then under them, then under the bed, then under the mattress, then the pillow and under the pillow.

I will like to inspect the mirror closely, especially on the edge at the other side side of the room.

Oh, and after everything else is done, I'd like to sneak under the bed when no one is looking, then reach out and grab one of their ankles as they walk by, thus scaring the crap out of them. :devil:

Well... I think we've done everything else. :tongue:

Peter, upon entering the room, immediately walks over to the table and picks up the book. It appears to be Lord Chester's diary. On opening it you find that it is relatively new, with entries starting a few days ago. You decide to read it out loud.

27th November

10:20am - meeting with NZ film director Peter Jackson to discuss possible commission of a film series. Should be able to convince him to post-pone current production.

1:15pm - Lunch with a lawyer, Mr. Peter Crawford, who wishes to discuss (again) the offer made by the DHPT for me to open the estate (considering cancellation)

4:30pm - Meeting with my colleague to discuss the new information he has found on the estate

Notes for day: cancelled 1:15pm meeting, really a waste of time. My colleague had a lot to say, he has hired an architect to draw up some rough plans of the proposed "cover" construction for the area.

28th November

Morning - photograph house and send pictures to the architect; should hopefully be able to meet someone later in the week. Talked with a lovely lady on the phone about a possible meeting with one of the company executives.

2:50pm - meeting with a Professor from Dratos University to discuss the closure of my student scholarship fund; my money can be better spent elsewhere. Will also mention a possible invitation to view the artefacts in the manor; he may be helpful in identifying one or two things for my colleague and I.

Notes for day: photographs sent off without a hitch, and meeting went nicely.

29th November

9:45am - Doctor's appointment; check up on leg.

Notes for day: I received two rather unfortunate emails today, I think my "friends" my suspect something. I shall leave some clues, in case of anything untoward happening in the future.

30th November

11:50 am - Meeting with my colleague

2:20pm - Another meeting with Mr. Crawford (consider cancelling)

Notes for day: cancelled 2:20pm meeting. Anthony had a lot to say over Lunch, I can almost feel the wealth rolling in already. He delivered to me the suitcase to use in negotiations for the construction work. Also received a call from the lovely secretary at the construction company; it seems the CEO can met me tomorrow night.

1st December

7:00pm - ensure all servants are dismissed for the night, can't have then around.

8:45pm - meeting with CEO

Notes for day:

That is all that is written in the book.

Max meanwhile takes a look at the fabric curtains draped over the bed. These are quite common in old beds of this style. The drapes look very expensive, and are made of quality silk. You cannot find anything of interest in them however.

John decides to take a closer look at the actual bed, looking over, under, through all the sheets and even the pillow. All his efforts however turn up nothing, although he does note before his search that the bed does not look slept in, the covers and sheets are all still nice and crisp.

The Chef takes a look at the bedside table. The drawer is unfortunately locked. The lamp does not reveal anything interesting.

Dr. Phil, rather than going for the chandelier (causing Peter to fork out some cash to Max, in the background), instead heads for the floor-length mirror against the south wall. Inspecting this, he does not find anything of any interest...

Michael takes a good look at the carpet, but does not discover anything underneath it or in the immediate area.

Dr. Grimsworth decides to take a look in the chest of drawers. There two large draws in this contain large items of clothing such as folded shirts and trousers. The smaller top draws contain socks, underwear etc. You do not find any items of interest.

I'm surprised nobody has rushed to use the toilet yet. :laugh:

I'd like to step on Mr. Crawford's hand on my way by.

Son of a! :angry: *rubs his hand* :cry_sad:

Peter, upon entering the room, immediately walks over to the table and picks up the book. It appears to be Lord Chester's diary. On opening it you find that it is relatively new, with entries starting a few days ago. You decide to read it out loud.

Now this is a wealth of information. Let's go step by step.

27th November

10:20am - meeting with NZ film director Peter Jackson to discuss possible commission of a film series. Should be able to convince him to post-pone current production.

The dragon freaks can't be happy about that.

1:15pm - Lunch with a lawyer, Mr. Peter Crawford, who wishes to discuss (again) the offer made by the DHPT for me to open the estate (considering cancellation)

Lunch was great, I ran into this tall blonde and, well, it was a long lunch. :devil:

4:30pm - Meeting with my colleague to discuss the new information he has found on the estate

Notes for day: cancelled 1:15pm meeting, really a waste of time. My colleague had a lot to say, he has hired an architect to draw up some rough plans of the proposed "cover" construction for the area.

Like I say, good thing he cancelled. As for the rest, that doesn't sound like something those dragon freaks would like either, but it explains the plans we found and the potential involvement of Mr. Dunne.

28th November

Morning - photograph house and send pictures to the architect; should hopefully be able to meet someone later in the week. Talked with a lovely lady on the phone about a possible meeting with one of the company executives.

He seems to be continuing down the dangerous path and involving Dunne and what's-her-name as well.

2:50pm - meeting with a Professor from Dratos University to discuss the closure of my student scholarship fund; my money can be better spent elsewhere. Will also mention a possible invitation to view the artefacts in the manor; he may be helpful in identifying one or two things for my colleague and I.

So far we know that the Professor and I can't be this "colleague" he speaks of, he's not much for playing nice with people and doesn't mind using them as well.

Notes for day: photographs sent off without a hitch, and meeting went nicely.

The ones we found, I assume. Outside shots of the house. Was he looking for something or covering up something or what?

29th November

9:45am - Doctor's appointment; check up on leg.

I wish he'd specified which one so I could kick him. Oh well, I can just kick both. Did he come to see you, Dr. Phil?

Notes for day: I received two rather unfortunate emails today, I think my "friends" my suspect something. I shall leave some clues, in case of anything untoward happening in the future.

By clues he means convoluted and annoying word puzzles, I'm sure. :hmpf:

30th November

11:50 am - Meeting with my colleague

Still don't know who, but it seems like it has to be someone here. To consider someone a colleague, they are usually of similar age or status.

2:20pm - Another meeting with Mr. Crawford (consider cancelling)

Notes for day: cancelled 2:20pm meeting. Anthony had a lot to say over Lunch, I can almost feel the wealth rolling in already. He delivered to me the suitcase to use in negotiations for the construction work. Also received a call from the lovely secretary at the construction company; it seems the CEO can met me tomorrow night.

Anthony Blackwater delivered a "suitcase to use in negotiations." Can anyone say payoff? Oh, and a meeting with Mr. Dunne. Now we know who he was expecting the night he was killed. Funny he hasn't mentioned this to us...

1st December

7:00pm - ensure all servants are dismissed for the night, can't have then around.

8:45pm - meeting with CEO

The night he died. He never made it back to write anything else. Doesn't look good for you, Mr. Dunne.

The Chef takes a look at the bedside table. The drawer is unfortunately locked.

We have keys. If we don't, we have large metal weapons. That drawer is opening.

Dr. Phil, rather than going for the chandelier (causing Peter to fork out some cash to Max, in the background), instead heads for the floor-length mirror against the south wall. Inspecting this, he does not find anything of any interest...

Dammit!

Where? *oh2*

That's my movie! That made me so mad when he postponed the production! I could've murdered him!! :angry: ... What? :look:

Also received a call from the lovely secretary at the construction company; it seems the CEO can met me tomorrow night.

That would be the lovely Miss Sandy. I bet she's the killer.

I pooped in the attic. Thanks, though.

So, from the diary, it seems he's mentioned (out of us):

Mr. Crawford

Colleague

architect (Possibly Mr. Dunne?)

lovely lady (Most likely Mrs. Greenwood)

Doctor (Doctor Marshall?)

Anthony (The now deceased)

CEO (Mr. Dunne?)

Professor (Dr. Grimsworth, no?)

friends

That seems to be it.

Anyway, I would like to check under the table with the book on it, and then tap the floor boards to see if any maybe be a secret compartment.

So, from the diary, it seems he's mentioned (out of us):

Mr. Crawford

Colleague

architect (Possibly Mr. Dunne?)

lovely lady (Most likely Mrs. Greenwood)

Doctor (Doctor Marshall?)

Anthony (The now deceased)

CEO (Mr. Dunne?)

Professor (Dr. Grimsworth, no?)

friends

That seems to be it.

Anyway, I would like to check under the table with the book on it, and then tap the floor boards to see if any maybe be a secret compartment.

Um, and I was in that Peter Jackson flick that he postponed the funding for, thank you very much. :hmpf_bad:

John decides to carry out some investigating. Tapping the floor boards does not reveal any secret compartments. However, on the floor under the table you find an opened envelope with a letter in it. You read it out loud:

Chester,

I have been carrying out some investigations, and I think we need to slow down our plans and move a little more carefully. I believe your "friends" may be on to you; I understand that one of their operatives is currently stationed in the area, and may be watching you. I suggest we be cautious; from what you have told me, these "friends" of yours aren't the sort to mess with. I know you don't think much of their empty threats, but we should still play it safe. There is a lot at stake here.

Your true friend,

~Anthony

Hmmm, again with the operative...

Um, and I was in that Peter Jackson flick that he postponed the funding for, thank you very much. :hmpf_bad:

I knew it involved you, but it wasn't really you that was mentioned. But, sure, you're in there too :classic: .

Anyway, finally, I would like to inspect the top of the draperies of the bed. If I must, I will bounce on the bed to reach it! :tongue:

Interesting letter. Seems Anthony was heavily involved in all this and clearly they both knew that the dragon freaks weren't going to be happy.

Where to next?

Anyway, finally, I would like to inspect the top of the draperies of the bed. If I must, I will bounce on the bed to reach it! :tongue:

I'd like to pull the sheet out from under him as he's bouncing. Hilarity ensues. :devil:

Interesting letter. Seems Anthony was heavily involved in all this and clearly they both knew that the dragon freaks weren't going to be happy.

True, but, so far, Anthony doesn't seem to have a motive for killing Lord Charles.

I'd like to pull the sheet out from under him as he's bouncing. Hilarity ensues. :devil:

Yes, hilarity will ensue when you pull the sheet out under me, as I am in the air, and you fall on your back with bed sheets over you :tongue: .

I'd like to push all of the bricks to see if they open secret passages or have hidden compartments...

True, but, so far, Anthony doesn't seem to have a motive for Yes, hilarity will ensue when you pull the sheet out under me, as I am in the air, and you fall on your back with bed sheets over you :tongue: .

If I pulled while you were in the air, but I pulled while you were in the bounce process, which is technically the point where your feet are touching the bed and you're about to go up.

Don't make me ask another question. :devil:

:laugh:

Since the good Dr. hasn't... I'll check that blasted chandelier, but if it falls, I swear I'll come back and haunt you all more than I do now.

He'd do it, too.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Shhh... secret!

Oh, right!

John decides to inspect above the draperies on the bed. There is a nice carved wooden frame that holds them all up, but nothing on top of this except dust.

Max meanwhile is seen to be punching the walls, without any success, unless of course his aim was to bruise his knuckles...

Michael takes a look under the mattress, but does not find anything.

Peter carefully approaches the chandelier, ready to run at the slightest movement. The chandelier twitches, and Peter dives under the bed, gobbling in horror. It only takes the other detectives a few minutes to convince him that the wobble was caused by Max hitting the wall particularly hard. Feeling a little disgruntled, Peter again approaches the chandelier. It is rather small compared with those in the rest of the house, which fits the room. You cannot see anything out of the ordinary.

Well, unless anyone objects, I believe that we should move on!

But where to?

But WAIT! Do those keys that we found on Mr. Charles (One of them, at least) fit in the locked bedside table?