colmoore

LDD problem in OSX El Capitan

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a silly question but since I upgraded to OSX El Capitan last night my preferences in LDD show "Outlines on bricks" and "Advanced shading" options greyed out and un-selectable.

Wondered if someone could explain how to restore this option.

Thanks,

Colin

Edited by Superkalle
Clarified topic title

Hi,

I don't think it's a silly question. I'm just hoping it's not going to happen to me, as I am about to upgrade in a few minutes.....

I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Ruud

same problem here, definitely has to do with the upgrade... bummer.

in Yosemite I had trouble with wifi, so what do I choose....

I've just called LEGO to make a mention of this issue, don't think I'll hear from them. But at least they're aware.

Edited by Atlantix

I have the same problem, too.

My "Outlines on bricks" and "Advanced shading" are greyed out and un-selectable.

We hope that this issue can be resolved soon.

I also have the mid 2014 MPB retina (QC i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, geforce graphics card --> the full monty), but it's independent of the type of MPB you have. Somehow LDD doesn't recognize the MBP's hardware correctly, the support for shader model 3,4 etc..

Hopefully it's an easy fix. LEGO did say that support for LDD has been downsized dramatically since you can't order your bricks directly at LEGO anymore. The fact that many thousands of people still use the app may not create urgency at LEGO, we'll have to wait and see.

I have tried Bricksmith (Ldraw), but it takes me 10 times longer to make anything. The simple 3D drag, snap and click in LDD is sooo much easier. For rendering you can always export to Ldraw...

I have temporarily solved the issue by installing VMware Fusion 8.0 (with support for Directx10 and OpenGL 3.3), building a Windows 7 VDI and installing the windows version of LDD on that. Next share the folder where you keep your LEGO models.... et voila, back in business. Lot of work just for not having the brick outlines....

There is of course a downside to using a virtual machine to run LDD. I cannot access my MBP hardware directly which means that I do not get full 2D/3D performance for LDD. This translates into sluggish performance when you edit models >5000 bricks or in that order.... In VMware Fusion you can determine how much memory/cpu etc goes to your virtual machine, but you simply cannot use the latest drivers for the graphics card (in device manager it says something like "VMware graphics card 3D")

Edited by Atlantix

Hmm. I'd better not update my mac soon... At least LEGO is aware of the problem.

I just got a call from LEGO... Response: yeah we know, it doesn't work.... We don't really support this app anymore. Don't expect us to do anything about it.

Well.... at least they had the courtesy to let me know.

Advice: more people should make a call and complain about this, maybe then they might consider doing something about it.

Sorry guys....

so LEGO doesn't support LDD anymore?! :ugh: Takes away most of my good things about LEGO...

Just got an answer from Lego on that issue :

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with LEGO® Digital Designer since your latest MAC OS update.

Our engineers are working on the case and will try to bring the software back to normal as soon as possible. In the meantime, please follow the below steps as a temporary fix:

Firstly, make sure you have admin rights to your PC

• right-click on the "LEGO Digital Designer" icon
  • choose "Show Package Contents"
  • The Finder will then open a window with the "Contents" folder
  • double click on "Info.plist".
  • delete these lines: <key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key> <string>10.4.11</string>

Please let us know if you are still encountering difficulties after this workaround.

This workaround is not working for me but one could be more "lucky". Please share

Neuro

Edited by NeuroMimetis

"<key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key> <string>10.4.11</string> "

Strange advise: That just tells the OS the minimum OS version the app can run on.. nothing about the newest.

There is nothing in the info.plist telling the App to disable features due to OS versions.

That has to be based on API calls in the compiled code.

That has to be based on API calls in the compiled code.

Yes, especially when El Capitan is introducing new APIs implementations with the "Metal" GPU driver.... LDD is definitely out of date.

Neuro

PS : sorry for my french accent :blush:

I thought you had to reload the info.plist to make any changes active?

Did you do that and if so, how?

At least you got a better answer from Lego than I did....

Just managed to do that.... didn't help :thumbdown:

Edited by Atlantix

I just updated and am having the same problem. Did anyone successfully use the workaround LEGO sent? What an awesome tool and so unfortunate LEGO doesn't support it anymore. I, for one, would pay for it if they were to release a supported version. I happen to know they have a Pro version for the model shops that they still support...

I tried that workaround and the program wouldn't even open afterward...

I still have the same problem: the options "Outlines of bricks" and "Advanced shading" are unselectable.

I am running on El Capitan 10.11.2

LDD version 4.3.8

MBP Late 2013

In my Info.plist file I have this:

<key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>

<string>10.6.0</string>

Even if I delete this it does not make any difference.

I'm having the same problem. Tried the recommended fix but it still doesn't work.

I might try and dig around the LDD Contents folder to see what I can find. In the past I have hacked some software to override default settings that way. I just need to find the right location and information.

If I find something I will post it on here.

Lego has released a new version of LDD today (4.3.9). However, it did not fix the issue mentioned in this thread. Regardless, the fact there was an update gives me some hope that this issue may get fixed eventually.

Lego has released a new version of LDD today (4.3.9). However, it did not fix the issue mentioned in this thread.

That ain't good.

Can anyone else confirm this?

My iMac 5K (Mid 2015) and my MacBook Pro Retina (Mid 2014) are now supported!

Edited by fabbbbbricks