General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

NOTE FROM YOUR REGULATOR: I split these posts out of the end of the LotR posts so the speculations could go somewhere else. Let's try to keep the 2013 LotR thread to just about confirmed sets and leave future set ideas in here.

Henceforth, this shall be the thread to discuss future LOTR/The Hobbit sets and speculation.

The second wave of LEGO LOTR is about to hit stores this summer,

but many of us are still holding onto our hopes of it not being the last LOTR wave (excluding The Hobbit). There are still many locations and figures

that haven't been covered yet, and while we won't see all of them in LEGO form, we can at least hope for some more important stuff to still show up in a possible next wave of LOTR.

I think the only figures we really need now are Faramir, Éowyn (although possible to make using existing parts), Galadriel, Grima Wormtongue, Gondorian soldiers, Gothmog and the Witch-king of Angmar.

Figures like an armored Éowyn or Rangers of Ithilien, Haradrim soldiers, etc. would be great as well, but if you really want those,

there would be enough official parts to make them yourself. (ex., Éowyn > official Éowyn (if we'll ever get one) + green cape and fitting armor, maybe custom for non-purists like me)

Madril or Gamling aren't hard to make using existing parts either. (For Madril we would just need Aragorn hair in dark grey, though)

We haven't had a named orc (besides Lurtz who technically doesn't count) in the LOTR line yet, and Gothmog would be the best option.

If we were to get a next wave of LOTR with a few sets, I think it would (in realistic standards I hope) look like this if they wanted to

finish the theme in a nice way by giving us some key characters - and by one full wave, I mean the first four + the exclusive set.

The rest are extra ideas:

The Battle of Minas Tirith

Minifigs: Denethor, Gandalf the White (on Shadowfax), Pippin (Gondorian outfit), 2 Gondorians, Gothmog, the Witch-king of Angmar and 2 orcs.

Consists of: The gates of Minas Tirith, two walls (one of them will have a smaller trebuchet) and a Fell beast. (Had to remove armored troll for Fell beast)

(Size: Large - similar to Helm's Deep)

Osgiliath Under Attack

Minifigs: Faramir, Ithilien ranger, Gondorian soldier and 2 orcs.

Consists of: A partially destroyed building with a dome top, ruins around it, blue baseplate (water) and maybe an orc boat.

(Size: Medium - similar to Weathertop)

Arrival at Lothlorien

Minifigs: Galadriel, Celeborn, Frodo and Boromir.

Consists of: The Lothlorien tree house, using the design we saw in the LOTR game. This set is here because every Middle-Earth wave has one 'peaceful' set.

A (pretty random) Lothlorien elf would be a good way to still have one of those as well, although perhaps unlikely. Either Boromir or Legolas in the minifig assortment.

(Size: Medium - similar to The Council of Elrond)

Mount Doom

Minifigs: Frodo (weary), Samwise Gamgee (weary) and Gollum.

Consists of: An entrance connected to a rocky walkway/cliff placed upon a baseplate with pieces to resemble lava.

(Size: Small - similar to Gandalf Arrives)

Exclusive set idea to end the theme, like the Diagon Alley:

The Grey Havens

Minifigs: Bilbo (old), Finery* Frodo, *Sam, *Merry, *Pippin, Gandalf the White, Elrond and Galadriel.

Consists of: The white ship with a dock, maybe a few buildings with a path leading to the dock.

(Size: Medium to large)

Additional ideas:

Ringwraith Escape

Minifigs: Frodo, Pippin and 1 Ringwraith.

Consists of: 2 trees, a small dock with a raft and one Ringwraith horse.

(Size: Small - similar to Gandalf Arrives)

Balrog Battle

Minifigs: Gandalf the Grey and 2 Moria orcs.

Consists of: The Balrog and the Bridge of Khazad-dûm. With some luck, we might be able to actually get the armored version of the Moria orc in a set like this.

Battle at Amon-hen

Minifigs: Boromir, Aragorn, Lurtz and 2 Uruk-hai.

Consists of: The seat of seeing where Aragorn fought the Uruk-hai, 2 trees and a statue.

(Size: Medium - similar to Uruk-hai Army)

Treebeard Encounter

Minifigs: Merry, Pippin and Grishnakh.

Consists of: Treebeard, perhaps with some scenery.

(Size: Small to med - similar to Shelob Attacks)

Théoden's Curse

Minifigs: King Théoden (cursed), Éowyn, Gandalf the White, Gamling and Rohan Royal Guard.

Consists of: The Golden Hall of Edoras, including the gates, some tables, Théoden's throne, flags and some more. No Grima unless he's not exclusive to or just not in the upcoming Tower of Orthanc set.

The Battle of Pelennor Fields

Minifigs: Éowyn (armored), Merry (armored), Rohan soldier (new) and 2 orcs.

Consists of: Orc siege tower and Éowyn's horse.

Cirith Ungol Rescue

Minifigs: Samwise Gamgee, Frodo (shirtless), Gorbag, Shagrat and 1 orc.

Consists of: A part of Cirith Ungol: stairs leading to the room where Sam saved Frodo, along with some barrels and crates with weapons and such.

(Size: Medium - similar to The Black Gate)

A possible idea for the upcoming Orthanc set and its minifig assortment:

The Tower of Orthanc

Minifigs: Saruman, Grima Wormtongue, 2 new orcs, 4 Uruk-hai and Uruk-hai general.

Consists of: The tower of Orthanc (around 70 cm tall) and some warmachines. There would be 2 exclusive orcs with new prints and an exclusive Uruk general.

(Size: Large - $150-200)

Possible exclusive figure for a "LEGO The Hobbit" game: King Thror.

Possible exclusive figure for a "LEGO The Lord of the Rings" encyclopedia: old Bilbo Baggins.

(And otherwise we could have old Bilbo in King Thror's place, can't think of much else for a Hobbit game exclusive, Thror isn't that likely)

Edited by General Magma

Guys,I can garantee to You that we will see maybe next year sets:

Lothlorien tree

Bridge of Khazad Dum

Something with Fell Beast

I just know that because I saw room where they desing all LEGOs

And I saw these ones from Lotr

We've all seen that picture, LordoftheBricks, but by no means does it guarantee that any of those sets will be made. There were plenty of things in that photo set that will never see production (the Watto bust, for example): http://www.fubiz.net...ego-office1.jpg

They will.there is Helm's deep,and they made it,There is also Bag-end and they made it,Orthanc,they will made it,soo they will made everything else ;)

Edited my previous post - what do you guys think about the possibilities of those?

I thought four sets may be plausible. And, although it seems very unlikely, we might get a few LOTR sets along with the next Hobbit wave but again,

that's fairly unlikely and I wouldn't count on it.

Edited my previous post - what do you guys think about the possibilities of those?

I thought four sets may be plausible. And, although it seems very unlikely, we might get a few LOTR sets along with the next Hobbit wave but again,

I like it,but in Osgiliath I would include more Madril and Gothmog,and Battle pack who can continue on that like this one http://thelordoftherings.us.lego.com/en-us/Gallery/Details/Default.aspx?projectid=6ea11d51-02c7-416d-a89f-56e118dd4555&index=2

And I would like to see Minas Tirith like exclusive set or in some seperate sets to continue one on each other,here is my idea for one set http://thelordoftherings.us.lego.com/en-us/Gallery/Details/Default.aspx?projectid=99685142-cf62-4342-9281-c049b943b750&index=1

I like it,but in Osgiliath I would include more Madril and Gothmog,and Battle pack who can continue on that like this one http://thelordoftherings.us.lego.com/en-us/Gallery/Details/Default.aspx?projectid=6ea11d51-02c7-416d-a89f-56e118dd4555&index=2

And I would like to see Minas Tirith like exclusive set or in some seperate sets to continue one on each other,here is my idea for one set http://thelordoftherings.us.lego.com/en-us/Gallery/Details/Default.aspx?projectid=99685142-cf62-4342-9281-c049b943b750&index=1

Madril could replace one figure, but it's hardly a significant character. I would prefer to have a good, generic Ithilien ranger.

I'm certain there won't be LOTR battle packs, and it would be useless to have multiple Osgiliath sets, it's not like Helm's Deep.

I don't think they'll do a Minas Tirith like that. It used to be a common idea in the past,

but we all need to realize that, although Helm's Deep had an "extension system", it still looked like a full Helm's Deep,

even without the Uruk-hai army set. They can't put out 7 Minas Tirith sets - one for each tier - but they can release a set of the gates.

Edited by General Magma

Madril could replace one figure, but it's hardly a significant character. I would prefer to have a good, generic Ithilien ranger.

I'm certain there won't be LOTR battle packs, and it would be useless to have multiple Osgiliath sets, it's not like Helm's Deep.

I don't think they'll do a Minas Tirith like that. It used to be a common idea in the past,

but we all need to realize that, although Helm's Deep had an "extension system", it still looked like a full Helm's Deep,

even without the Uruk-hai army set. They can't put out 7 Minas Tirith sets - one for each tier - but they can release a set of the gates.

Only sets who deserve to be exclusive are Barad Dur and Minas Tirith.Minas Tirith really shuld be exclusive because we need to get Grond,Gates,first wall,of course we will not see all 7 walls of Minas Tirith,so 2 more will be just fine,and place where Denethor falls and Citadel and white tree,so it can be made for maybe 3000-3500 pieces,and we can see some battle-packs with Mordor moving tower or catapults

Some nice ideas, however I would prefer to see a brick built Balrog or Treebeard before Lothlorien.

There's also a severe lack of Eowyn... :hmpf_bad:

They will.there is Helm's deep,and they made it,There is also Bag-end and they made it,Orthanc,they will made it,soo they will made everything else ;)

I don't want to sound rude but you're still missing the point; just because it's there doesn't mean it'll be made if TLG thinks it won't be successful to the respective age groups or adults, in our case.

Me personally I think we should, at some point, get another Shire set that depicts the end of the scene with all four Hobbits together drinking; the minifigures themselves could be designed to what they were wearing in the movie so it would be a sort of exclusive set.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" set idea if they wanted to do another set from film 1:

Warg Chase

Minifigs: Kili, 2 Gundabad orcs, and Radagast the Brown.

Consists of: One grey Warg, the rocks with a small opening which the dwarf use to escape and Radagast's sled.

It would be great if the Gundabad orcs could actually be orcs with new prints instead of re-used Mordor orcs, but TLG probably isn't planning something like that...

A set of the scene with the trolls would be nice,

but I can't really see TLG adding 3 molded trolls to a set...

Possibilities for future "The Hobbit" film sets (DOS and TABA):

Laketown Attack

Minifigs: Bard the Bowman, Legolas, 1 Mirkwood elf, The Master of Laketown, 2 Laketown archers and 1 Laketown spearman.

Consists of: A part of Laketown and its structures and buildings, and Smaug the dragon himself.

The Battle of Dol Guldur

Minifigs: Gandalf the Grey, Galadriel, Elrond (armored), The Necromancer, 2 Mirkwood elves, Ringwraith and 1 orc.

Consists of: A part of the old fortress (Dol Guldur). Could come with Bolg as well, depending on whether he appears in this or not judging by film rumors.

The Battle of Five Armies

Minifigs: Thorin Oakenshield (armor), King Thranduil, Dain Ironfoot, 2 armored dwarves, 1 Laketown spearman, Bolg and 1 Gundabad orc.

Consists of: One white horse, one grey Warg and whatever can be added to it. (Which we don't know yet)

Might have Azog and/or Beorn as well or instead of some other figures if the former appears in the scene and if the latter doesn't appear in another set.

Edited by General Magma

This would be my idea for an exclusive "close out the line" set, similar to HP's Diagonal Alley.

The Gray Havens - the grey elven ship, a small dock, a small covered cart. Minifigs, Gandalf the White, Elrond, Galadriel, Old Bilbo, Finery Frodo, Finery Sam, Finery Merry, Finery Pippin. Bilbo/Frodo's book and three new colored rings. Blue, Red and white/silver.

Gray Havens would be an excellent capstone for the line. :thumbup:

In addition to the oft mentioned Eowyn vs Witch King, I really want the Golden Hall of Theoden and Bree / Inn of the Prancing Pony.

This would be my idea for an exclusive "close out the line" set, similar to HP's Diagonal Alley.

The Gray Havens - the grey elven ship, a small dock, a small covered cart. Minifigs, Gandalf the White, Elrond, Galadriel, Old Bilbo, Finery Frodo, Finery Sam, Finery Merry, Finery Pippin. Bilbo/Frodo's book and three new colored rings. Blue, Red and white/silver.

Yes, that would be a great way to end the line, perhaps as an exclusive set like you said.

The rings would have to be chrome blue, chrome red and chrome silver. (Or just white)

Edited by General Magma

Osgiliath Ambush (Sorry, did this on accident, I'm fixing it right now. While I'm fixing it, would anyone mind telling me how to use the enter key to go down a line on these forums?)

Edited by Mr Narwhal

Gray Havens would be an excellent capstone for the line. :thumbup:

In addition to the oft mentioned Eowyn vs Witch King, I really want the Golden Hall of Theoden and Bree / Inn of the Prancing Pony.

A White Ship w/ dock would be the perfect way to finish the line, indeed. Gandalf the White, departure garb Frodo, Galadriel, Elrond, and Old Bilbo.

Here's what I hope future LotR waves would comprise of:

WAVE THREE

1. Mount Doom

Minifigs: Frodo (Weary), Sam (Weary), Gollum (new sneaky face).

Would include a rocky ledge (perhaps with collaspible function) with lava underneath.

Price: $12.99

2. Witch-King Battle

Minifigs: Eowyn (Dernhelm), Merry (Rohan Squire), Witch-king of Angmar, Theoden (Armor)

Would include brick-built Fellbeast, Theoden's horse (Snowmane), scenery (rocks, a bush)

Price: $19.99

3. Lothlorien

Minifigs: Frodo, Galadriel, Celeborn, & Boromir OR Legolas

Would include Lothlorien treehouse shown in LotR videogame, and Galadriel's Mirror (with flip function - one side clear, other side Eye of Sauron), and small tree.

Price: $39.99 (Exclusive/Hard to Find, like Orc Forge)

5. Edoras

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, Eowyn, Grima Wormtongue, Theoden (Cursed), Rohirrim, Rohan Soldier (2x)

Would include the Golden Hall of Meduseld, gate into Edoras, two flagposts, and small armory.

Price: $79.99

6. Minas Morgul

Minifigs: Frodo, Sam, Gollum (new nervous face), Witch-King of Angmar, Mordor Orc (4x)

Would include section of the Secret Stairs, the bridge with two statues, an Armored Troll, a brick-built Fellbeast, and the gate/tower/side walls of Minas Morgul made of black and GITD pieces.

Price: $99.99

WAVE FOUR

1. The Dead Marshes

Minifigs: Frodo, Sam, Gollum (smirk), Noldor Elf skeleton

Would include section of marsh with weeds, bush, flames, water, and another section with pop-up Noldor Elf skeleton with bushes, dead tree, water, and more flames.

Price: $14.99

2. The Doors of Moria

Minifigs: Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn

Would include the Doors of Moria (GITD design), two trees, rocks, and brick-built Watcher.

3. The Last Alliance

Minifigs: Isildur, Elendil, Sauron (Woody-sized), Mordor Orcs (2x), Gondor Soldier (2nd Age), Noldor Elf

Would include the rocky slopes of Mount Doom with minifigure-flicking function (when a minifig is hit by Sauron's mace).

Price: $49.99

4. Gandalf vs. the Balrog

Minifigs: Gandalf the Grey, Boromir, Moria Orcs (2x)

Would include brick-built Balrog and the bridge of Khazad-Dum (collaspible).

Price: $39.99

5. Treebeard Encounter

Minifigs: Merry, Pippin, Grisknakh, Rohirrim, Mordor Orc, Uruk-hai

Would include brick-built Treebeard, Orc camp, several trees, and boulder for Treebeard to throw.

Price: $59.99

6. Battle of Osgiliath

Minifigs: Frodo, Faramir, Madril, Gondorian Soldier, Ithilien Ranger, Nazgul, Mordor Orc (2x)

Would include ruined bridge with trapdoor, ruined tower with collaspible function, rocky archway, brick-built Fellbeast, and Orc boat.

Price: $79.99

7. The Tower of Barad-Dur

Minifigs: Frodo (Weary), Sam (Weary), Nazgul (2x), Mordor Orc (6x)

Would include Orc camp, rocks, brick-built Fellbeast, and Barad-Dur with light-up Eye of Sauron function.

WAVE FIVE

1. Bilbo's Birthday Party

Minifigs: Frodo (Shire), Sam (Shire), Bilbo (Old), Rosie Cotton, Gandalf

Would include fireworks, tent, table, chairs, food, birthday cake, and tree.

2. Attack on Pelennor Fields

Minifigs: Rohirrim (2x), Mordor Orc (2x), Easterling, Soldier of the Dead

Would include two horses, Orc siege tower, small Orc catapult, and scenery (rocks, a bush)

Price: $29.99

3. Rescue from Cirith Ungol

Minifigs: Frodo (half-clothed), Sam, Shagrat, Uruk-hai, Mordor Orc (2x)

Would include the tower of Cirith Ungol with armory, prison, etc (I don't know a lot about its interior).

4. Oliphaunt Attack

Minifigs: Legolas, Rohirrim, Soldier of the Dead, Easterling, Oliphaunt Driver, Haradrim (2x)

Would include brick-built Oliphaunt with tower on top, Orc catapult, and scenery (rocks, bushes)

5. The Battle of Minas Tirith

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, Pippin (Gondorian Armor), Denethor, Faramir, Gondorian Soldier (4x), Gothmog, Orc Captain, Mordor Orc (4x)

Would include Grond, Armored Troll, Warg, Orc Siege Tower, and Minas Tirith as three levels (like Nuju Metru's)

Price: $249.99 - $299.99

FINAL SET

1. The Grey Havens

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Old Bilbo, Galadriel, Elrond, Cirdan (?)

Would include the Grey Havens with Elvish ship, dock, the structures surrounding it, a cart, and Bag End's door for Sam to walk through.

Price: $149.99

Some battlepacks would be nice too: 4 minifigures, siege weapons, weapons rack, standard, scenery.

Edited by Mr_Malfoy

I love most of your ideas! They'd make great sets! But...

3. The Last Alliance

Minifigs: Isildur, Elendil, Sauron (Woody-sized), Mordor Orcs (2x), Gondor Soldier (2nd Age), Noldor Elf

Would include the rocky slopes of Mount Doom with minifigure-flicking function (when a minifig is hit by Sauron's mace).

Price: $29.99

7. The Tower of Barad-Dur

Minifigs: Frodo (Weary), Sam (Weary), Nazgul (2x), Mordor Orc (6x)

Would include Orc camp, rocks, brick-built Fellbeast, and Barad-Dur with light-up Eye of Sauron function.

This set just isn't realistic. 7 figs for 30$, a few too many. I think this could be a great exclusive for TRU or a different store.

I was actually thinking about this. What I'd love to see in a Barad-Dur set is this: obviously a large tower, Frodo and Sam in orc armor (exclusives), Sauron (exclusive?), 2-3 orcs, and a Nazgul and fell beast. It could be a D2C set.

Edited by Infernum

I love most of your ideas! They'd make great sets! But...

This set just isn't realistic. 7 figs for 30$, a few too many. I think this could be a great exclusive for TRU or a different store.

I was actually thinking about this. What I'd love to see in a Barad-Dur set is this: obviously a large tower, Frodo and Sam in orc armor (exclusives), Sauron (exclusive?), 2-3 orcs, and a Nazgul and fell beast. It could be a D2C set.

Thanks for the tip. Perhaps $50?

Barad-Dur as a $100 set would be laughable, especially if it included all of those additional extras. It absolutely dwarfs Orthanc, which looks to be a $150-200 set in its own right. I honestly don't think Lego will attempt a tower of that scale.

I do like your idea for a Last Alliance set, though. Though I'm not sure we'd see that many brand new minifigs in a single set, even if it were $50.

Barad-Dur as a $100 set would be laughable, especially if it included all of those additional extras. It absolutely dwarfs Orthanc, which looks to be a $150-200 set in its own right. I honestly don't think Lego will attempt a tower of that scale.

Yeah, it would probably only be made similarly to the Death Star, which I don't see Lego doing on the young LOTR theme. If it's still going in a few years? Maybe.

I've updated the first post with some additional ideas. Tried to make the minifig assortments as realistic as possible,

so tell me what you think about those.

To the rest: those are some nice ideas in general, though I agree that Barad-Dûr would have to be another exclusive set,

it's rather iconic and should be at least a bit larger than Orthanc.

If the Lord of the Rings theme happens to be doing extremely well, say, 2-3 years from now, there is the possibility that we could actually get the first $300-400 UCS style set from the theme. That would be the perfect opportunity to get a gigantic Barad-Dur. But the chances of that happening are pretty slim.