Wodanis

Modular Police Station

Hi everyone,

I would like to present my modular police building. I haven't finished just yet as I still have to design the roof. There will be an accompanying modular side attachment garage with a holding cell too. I was trying hard to just have this as a stand alone building but other ideas kept creeping in. I may or may not use it but as this construction is pushing past 2500 pieces it will get expensive.

Essentially this is a three story building with a roof that will house some communication equipment. On the ground floor I have the main lobby with an evidence/armoury room complete with a little panel to deposit weapons etc that one can push the lever to have it drop inside. The second floor is where the officer conduct their work and the detectives sit with criminals and witnesses to interview. The idea was to have the holding cells adjacent to that floor. On the third floor has an open concept space for the Chief of Police and a conference room with a projector.

I think I will have to revisit how the panels underneath the floors are utilized. I tend to over structure my creations so they are sturdy and solid. At times it can be difficult to design the facade since I don't want to really use other ideas I have seen before nor is it based on much other than what is in my head. As a result it takes me longer to design. Most police buildings are made in a wide array of sizes and scope that it is difficult to find what I like. Instead I had an initial floor plan and an idea that has just evolved over the last two months.

I was looking to Castor-Troy's Police modular for inspiration as his came out nicely.

Can be found here: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=82034

The garage portion at the moment reflects his initial ground floor structure more than my own, albeit I have modified and improved upon them for my purposes. I really liked the idea of the back garage and two large front garage doors. Seeing as I have lots of police vehicles the need for a structure was why I was designing it after his design. In any case, I have not enclosed photos of it. There is still far too much work to do on it.

If you have any comments or thoughts please feel free to speak. :classic:

13491194074_9e7d589a8d_b_d.jpg

13489833284_7e573ee378_b_d.jpg

13489833434_8af37a79de_b_d.jpg

13489833884_03ce0bcd49_b_d.jpg

13489833804_749f961c29_b_d.jpg

13489585713_31278b207d_b_d.jpg

13489584663_4617d5fa26_b_d.jpg

13489832494_d9fd1e3195_b_d.jpg

13489469725_d56d110406_b_d.jpg

13489468975_dac9f6d9c4_b_d.jpg

13489831114_30cc92a6c6_b_d.jpg13489830884_a1aa054537_b_d.jpg

Edited by Wodanis

I feel you have done a great job on it so far. The facade truly looks like a Police Headquarters building - it's clean and simple. Don't make it too cluttered.

Looking inside with the nice details of the desk with computers on them reminds me of a detectives office with the main chief guy on the third floor.

I agree having the garages and cells separate from the main offices building - look forward seeing that portion built.

And....yes, just take you time (don't rush) and make sure the designs work - more time and thought going into it will make it look even better! I've spent almost a year designing and building my Train Station

It looks realistic! The only thing I might suggest is to tweak the position of the columns on the top floor so that they line up with the columns on the middle floor. But I can't wait to see if in real bricks...

Great work digital designing that so far 'Wodanis'.......you need a box of donuts and a pot of coffee in there as well. :grin:

Brick On LDD On 'Wodanis' ! :grin:

I feel you have done a great job on it so far. The facade truly looks like a Police Headquarters building - it's clean and simple. Don't make it too cluttered.

Looking inside with the nice details of the desk with computers on them reminds me of a detectives office with the main chief guy on the third floor.

I agree having the garages and cells separate from the main offices building - look forward seeing that portion built.

And....yes, just take you time (don't rush) and make sure the designs work - more time and thought going into it will make it look even better! I've spent almost a year designing and building my Train Station

Thank you. I will definitely not rush the remaining portions. :classic:

It looks realistic! The only thing I might suggest is to tweak the position of the columns on the top floor so that they line up with the columns on the middle floor. But I can't wait to see if in real bricks...

I was planning on turning this idea into reality by building it. Not certain how soon though. Will take some rearrangement with the columns but I think your are right that it would look more streamlined with them lined up.

Great work digital designing that so far 'Wodanis'.......you need a box of donuts and a pot of coffee in there as well. :grin:

Brick On LDD On 'Wodanis' ! :grin:

Thanks Lightning Tiger! Haha. Need some Simpsons donuts pieces.

Simply brilliant. It has enough decoration on the exterior to fit in, but not so much that it looks cluttered. I may have to borrow some ideas from this.

It looks very fitting. I like the idea of a side garage area, but if I were to do something like this I may include it in the 32x32 footprint, but exit through the back? I would be assuming there is an alleyway behind all of the buildings.

But the white actually works in this case. I find it very difficult to work with white in modulars since very few buildings are truly white.

But keep up the good work. I like where it is headed. I can't wait to see it in the brick.

Simply brilliant. It has enough decoration on the exterior to fit in, but not so much that it looks cluttered. I may have to borrow some ideas from this.

It looks very fitting. I like the idea of a side garage area, but if I were to do something like this I may include it in the 32x32 footprint, but exit through the back? I would be assuming there is an alleyway behind all of the buildings.

But the white actually works in this case. I find it very difficult to work with white in modulars since very few buildings are truly white.

But keep up the good work. I like where it is headed. I can't wait to see it in the brick.

Thank you TheLegoDr. Definitely have to avoid direct sunlight with this modular. I hadn't thought about having an alleyway specifically behind the buildings but that is something I could design. Appreciate the kind words. :classic:

Seems pretty to me! I really like the looking of that police station and what a great work you've done for the windows! I think you've inspire me for your windows. The interior is good as well. The only thing I'll have to say is that I'm not sure for the windows on both side, if, and only if you want to do it as a modular.

Seems pretty to me! I really like the looking of that police station and what a great work you've done for the windows! I think you've inspire me for your windows. The interior is good as well. The only thing I'll have to say is that I'm not sure for the windows on both side, if, and only if you want to do it as a modular.

Thank you harton. The reasoning for the windows on the side was mainly to break up the space and reduce the amount of bricks I'd have to use per side. It is true when I think about all the other modulars and the fact they do not utilise windows on the sides. In any case if the building stands alone or has one modular next to it there will still be windows to look out through. I can't say that I would be thrilled to redo those walls again...

Or you can just make alley-ways on sides of the building to the garages and cells...and not necessarily have buildings right up against it

But that's true to use windows instead of bricks to save on bricks. I try to use the same concept.

I finished off the roof and sorted out the side windows on the second floor. I eliminated the door and windows and put a solid wall with some more windows, filing cabinets and a bench for criminals to sit on. Plus I added a coffee maker and cooler for the office. I also took out the columns on the third floor and used palisade bricks which looks much better than before I think. The building is more to my tastes now that I decided to make the garage completely modular instead of an add on. I was getting frustrated with the existing design as it was not a solid build. May or may not take out the Octan gas tank on the roof. I don't know is it completely odd to have explosive material on a rooftop?

13520377225_c95c0768bd_b_d.jpg

13520703964_08e33a78d8_b_d.jpg

Or you can just make alley-ways on sides of the building to the garages and cells...and not necessarily have buildings right up against it

But that's true to use windows instead of bricks to save on bricks. I try to use the same concept.

That is a very sensible idea. I have been wondering how to incorporate my side door. if I placed an alleyway in-between the two buildings I can utilise the doorway. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Wodanis

So I made a few minor changes and the top facade of the building is now all white. I now have to begin the laborious process of pricing it out.

On a side note I have already made the two detective mini-figures. :wub: the dark hair piece for the girl was .84 cents alone!

Oh this is awesome. Really has a police station feel, even more so than those that Lego churns out every year in City.

Really cool Police Station you have designed Wodanis. I looks like it would fit perfectly long with other Modula Building. I like the New York Precinct feel to it with the Desk sergeant in the foyer. Looking forward seeing this brick built and your final brick count.

Oh this is awesome. Really has a police station feel, even more so than those that Lego churns out every year in City.

Thank you. I really liked the police station from 2011 (7498) but it was for playability and not ultimately what I wanted out of a police station. I am thinking I will use it as a base in the suburbs. I can't wait to build this thing!

Really cool Police Station you have designed Wodanis. I looks like it would fit perfectly long with other Modular Building. I like the New York Precinct feel to it with the Desk sergeant in the foyer. Looking forward seeing this brick built and your final brick count.

Thank you Scottwb2010. Must have been all those police shows I watched as a kid. Didn't even have to think too much about the elements so much as where to place them. I very much want to build this in brick too. I'm holding off my assessment for cost this week. I will have to design and build the garage and alleyway. I have the ideas in my head but will have to find the time to create them in LDD. :grin:

That facade is incredible! Saving this in my "inspirational models" folder for future reference! :classic:

Edited by Matoro

That facade is incredible! Saving this in my "inspirational models" folder for future reference! :classic:

Thank you Matoro! That is very kind of you to say. I decided on a the final look of the building in the image below.

13607768004_c3cd347afa_b_d.jpg

Nicely done. I can easily see some good inspiration here for a modular from me in the future. I can't wait to see it in the brick.

I really like the side door and how it is recessed.

Thanks the TheLegoDr! Nor can I. I'm pretty excited to start building it. I'm glad to have inspired you. This was my first completed modular design with multiple floors.

Edited by Wodanis

Thought I would do an update to my modular. I am having to do a bit of retooling as the parts I've used, while I tried to be thorough as possible for availability, have become unavailable. For instance the black tripartite frames have been discontinued. I'm also finding it difficult to acquire the arches (brick with bow 1x5x4) in white. Even the trans blue windows in all the sizes have been discontinued.

I'm rethinking the second floor tiling and may remove the pattern in the centre of the floor to replace with more earth blue and sand yellow tiles. The windows may end up being clear colour though the trans blue gives it a better look. I will have to brick link the tripartite windows but only the front two. I want the look to stay the same. The rest of the windows will have to change to normal black window frames. I thought about using the white tripartite but it doesn't give the building the same pop factor that I like so much.

I did my financial assessment as well and basic calculations put my piece count at 2899 with a cost overall of $600 CDN. The need to do a bit of tweaking is necessary to make it more cost effective. Thankfully I raided what I already owned in parts and saved myself $75 worth of parts.

I've just started an initial BnP order and hopefully my project will be on track over the coming months. I can't wait to make this in the brick!

Edited by Wodanis

It really is a neat building, but 600 CDN is a bit alarming. I hadn't expected it to be that much. MOCs always take more than you expect.

This is a LOT more police stationy than official TLG stations, I can't wait to see an entire city like this!

It really is a neat building, but 600 CDN is a bit alarming. I hadn't expected it to be that much. MOCs always take more than you expect.

I know right? Partly the higher cost is due to BnP and PaB prices have increased. Particular colours especially such as earth blue tiles or new dark red tiles. For instance trans blue cupboard doors are .39 cent each compared to white. The three 6x24 plates I used on the roofing are $2.14 each. It really adds up. The base plate wasn't that bad $8.21 for medium stone grey 32x32. $8.24 for green base plate at Wal Mart. Honestly if you are in the US I suspect you can make this cheaper. Parts are cheaper there. Canada is far too over priced for sets and what not. Similarly if I had a Lego store near me again it would be so much easier to fill a PaB cup with tiles/plates etc. since I don't I have to order each individually. Real pain when it comes to acquiring 1x1 plates or round pieces.

Hi Wodanis,

Would you like to share the lxf file please? It is a beatifull modular

When I finish my tweaks, I will in the future. For the moment I want to build it, then share :)