Set name: Soldiers Fort

Theme: Pirates

Set number: 6242

Number of pieces: 367

Minifigs: 6

Release date: 2009

Release price: $49.99

Bricklink Brickset Brickshelf Folder

I have decided to do a set review on the 6242, Soldiers Fort from the latest Pirate theme which should be available in 2009. I was one of the lucky few to manage to purchase one of the highly anticipated sets, as I lived near the LEGO Imagination Center in USA, Orlando.

If you have intentions of dropping down, be sure to give the center a call to make sure there are enough stocks for you to grab to avoid disappointment. Fortunately, when I reached there, there were many Pirate sets and LEGO enthusiasts taking the new Pirate sets off the shelves. Without further ado, let me get on with this review.

Box-Front:

p1000705.jpg

This is an overall box image of the 6242, Soldiers' Fort

Box-Back:

p1000708.jpg

At the back of the box, it reveals an overview of its accessories and building sections which is the unique playing feature in this set.

Instructions-Front:

p1000713.jpg

This is the front page of the first booklet. I did not take a picture of the second booklet because the only difference is the number at the bottom left hand corner.

Instructions-Middle-Booklet One:

p1000718.jpg

Instructions-Middle-Booklet Two:

p1000717.jpg

Instructions-Comic:

p1000715.jpgp1000716.jpg

TLG has once again, impressed the younger generations with a nicely illustrated comic. I believe that in every other set, there will be an additional comic script illustrating the playability and imagination of its new Pirate sets.

Stickers:

There were stickers in this set, but I used them. :pir-grin: The spider webs in the jail, and the red bricks on the walls are stickers and there aren't any printed bricks in this set except for the flags on the tower.

Minifigures-Soldiers-Front:

p1000733.jpg

The shakos are the main attraction of the Imperial Soldiers. The symbols at the front of their shakos are actually printed with its precise design, representing the pride of the Imperials. Even the Admiral/Commander's torso is well designed.

Minifigures-Soldiers-Back:

p1000734.jpg

When the minifigs are turned behind, the backs are printed with a mini backpack. It's very smart for TLG to do this. I wonder if TLG is cutting down the production of brown bag packs and enforce the soldiers to carry light weight combat material.

Minifigures-Pirates-Front:

p1000735.jpg

The Pirates' torsos are very cool and I really enjoy looking at them. The decals are filled with nice details such as the henchmen's anchor tattoo on his hairy chest and the Pirate Captain vest. The faces are a new addition too. I must admit that I am very impressed with the range of minifigs.

Minifigures-Pirates-Back:

p1000736.jpg

Even, the back of the Pirates are printed. The red buckle at the back seemed to be tight across the Captain's vest.

Animals-Alligator:

p1000737.jpg

Here is a comparison of both alligator designs. On the left, the alligator with the darker tone is the new one, while the one on the right with a lighter shade is the old design.

Animals-Monkey:

p1000738.jpg

Both monkeys look very similar with each other. In fact, the one on the left is the older version while the one on the right is the newer version. You can't really tell the difference from this picture.

Accessories:

p1000742.jpg

These are the accessories that come in the set 6242 Soldiers Fort. The accessories in this set are great! First you have a treasure chest, then two dark brown barrels, two swords, two rifles, two pistols, two keys, dynamite, a fish, a telescope, a banana, and finally a torch. Most of the pieces I mentioned are new to the LEGO theme like the dynamite, the telescope, and the fish, to name a few, and a lot of AFOLS and TFOLS are anticipating these pieces for there MOC's.

Extra pieces:

p1000741.jpg

The extra pieces that come in this set are fantastic! The extra epaullattes and the extra sword is one of the many great things in this set!

Vehicles-boat:

p1000746.jpg

The only vehicle in this set is the original pirate rowboat which contains two paddles, a dark brown barrel, and a pirate flag.

Complete set without minifigures and accessories:

p1000747.jpg

The entire set is pictured above and I think that the fort is a little small and I think it could have been larger, but its still a great set! I'll get into more detail about the set below.

The jail:

p1000754.jpg

This is the jail and it has two little lamps and a jail door so you can "capture" the pirates!

p1000757.jpg

This is the back of the jail and the wall can be removed so the pirates can "escape".

p1000758.jpg

Voila! The jail wall is removed and inside there is nothing but some spider webs.....must be a boring place to stay! :laugh:

p1000760.jpg

This is the top of the jail where the cannon can be seen and fired by the soldiers!

The bridge:

p1000753.jpg

This is the bridge which has a palm tree and connects various structures together. The palm's tree trunk is one piece, upsetting to many AFLOS and TFOLS, and it has a secret to it and you'll have to scroll down to find out the secret!

p1000751.jpg

The secret to the palm tree is that there is a secret compartment housing various colored diamonds!

The shelter:

p1000761.jpg

This has the roof-like structure that holds the dark brown barrel container and the plastic-type flag which has a very nice design IMO.

The tower:

p1000766.jpg

The main attraction to this set is the tower, which houses a crane for transporting goods and three floors of.....nothing. :hmpf_bad:

The tower-First floor:

p1000768.jpg

The first floor of the tower has a barrel which looks like a barrel of keg to drink that most pirates would enjoy! :laugh:

The tower-Second floor:

p1000769.jpg

The second floor of the tower has a balcony which has an empty room like the room below.

The tower-Third floor:

p1000772.jpg

The highest floor of the tower has a crane which can pick up items needed to transport goods from one boat to another.

This set can be rearranged, so I rearranged it in different postions:

p1000776.jpg

This set is modular! Yes I said it, modular, like the 7094 King's Castle Siege!

p1000780.jpg

Complete set with minifigures and accessories:

p1000783.jpg

This is the complete set. The Captain is holding onto the treasure and the Commander is trying to get him. A soldier is getting eaten by the alligator and another soldier is firing the cannon. Notice: The fire pieces do not come with this set. A pirate is escaping with the help of a monkey and the soldier is persuing him.

Conclusion:

This set is a wonderful set! It has some flaws like, the tower is empty and it doesn't have any furniture. The set doesn't have many pieces for the price, but come on, its pirates! Who cares! :thumbup:

Build: 10/10, I enjoyed building this set very much. It was my first time building a pirate set in 10 years! It wasn't repetive and it was a worthwhile build.

Design: 10/10, This set was designed very well. Nothing comes apart and it is very detailed!

Playability: 10/10, This set is great for playing with! There are unlimited scenarios!

Minifigs: 10/10, The amount of minifigs that come in this set is perfect! I mean, theres soldiers and pirates! It doesn't get better than that!

Price 9/10, It would have been more reasonable if this set was only $39.99.

Overall Score: 10/10, This is a great set that you shouldn't miss out on! I don't care what you have to do to get it! :tongue:

Edited by Lego12

Great review of a great set!

What a moment in LEGO history, The first new pirate set review in over 10 years! Pirates are back baby!

I love all of the new pieces, such as the telescope, new fish, new plume and the dynamite. Plus, the minifigs are superb with the detailed torsos with both front and back printing.

I do hate the palm tree though.. :pir-sick: It's lovely that it's modular, that opens up lots of possibilities.

Thanks for the review! (Even though I've seen it already. :wink: )

Wow, what a great looking set. The Minifigures look fantastic!

The Modular nature is great as well as all the new pieces. The original Pirates line was in my Dark ages, so I eagerly look forward to the new sets, and this set (besides the one piece palm trunk) is fantastic!

Thanks for a very well researched and presented review Lego12, definitely a must buy for me.

Cheers

ISC

While I like how the set looks, I am disappointed with the number of figures and the small size of the fort.

Great review. I don´t really like this set, so I voted "average".

And the reddish brown monkey isn´t new, it did come in the 4+ Pirate sets too. :monkey:

Great set! Congrats, you're the first reviewer of a long anticipated line! :classic:

There's certainly a lot of figs and accessories in that set! That spider-web could come in handy (sometimes you want a spider web that's less than 10 feet tall! :laugh:). A must buy! Nice review, too! Did you pick up other sets? If so please review! :pir-cry_happy:

Minifigures-Soldiers-Front:

p1000733.jpg

Is it just me or do those legs look yellowed? Are they yellowed, or is it just the lighting?

Great review of a great set!

What a moment in LEGO history, The first new pirate set review in over 10 years! Pirates are back baby!

I love all of the new pieces, such as the telescope, new fish, new plume and the dynamite. Plus, the minifigs are superb with the detailed torsos with both front and back printing.

I do hate the palm tree though.. :pir-sick: It's lovely that it's modular, that opens up lots of possibilities.

Thanks for the review! (Even though I've seen it already. :wink: )

Your welcome. I'm glad you and others like it. :pir-classic:

Wow, what a great looking set. The Minifigures look fantastic!

The Modular nature is great as well as all the new pieces. The original Pirates line was in my Dark ages, so I eagerly look forward to the new sets, and this set (besides the one piece palm trunk) is fantastic!

Thanks for a very well researched and presented review Lego12, definitely a must buy for me.

Cheers

ISC

Yeah, this set is a beauty! :pir-wub:

Wow great review, its awesome that TLC has decided to redo Pirates, and they redid it well!

Thanks. Yeah, they really redid it well!

While I like how the set looks, I am disappointed with the number of figures and the small size of the fort.

I have to disagree with you. This set comes with 6 minifigures and I think that its a perfect amount for a set like this. The set is small though, but nevertheless a great set!

Great review. I don
Edited by Lego12

Thanks for the review, nice to see some of the detail in this set. It's nice overall, and the figures and accessories are great. I like the style of the set, the sea being plates rather than baseplate, and the parts are all useful.

I would agree that it's overpriced - in European prices $49.99 means €49.99, which is indeed at least €10 too much. However, rather than see this set at €39.99 (who knows, we might get lucky), I think it could have benefited from an extra 100 bricks. The tower in particular is lacking in detail (not even ladders?). I guess the minifigures, accessories (monkey, palm tree, etc.) and the amount of large plates (sea and dock) drive up the price, but even so it's rather spartan for the price they are asking.

Edited by brickzone

Great review! I'll comment more later, I've work to do. :pir-classic:

im not a big fan of pirates but this is nice but its overpriced. i gave it above average anyway. i might get the smaller sets. :pir-grin:

This is great! The set istself is fairly lack-luster, but the figs are greast! The soldiers have great printing, and the Captain actually has an accurate design! See:

wm1p17.jpg

Royal Navy Commander 1756

See? I love how coat tails are printed on the back. That's just special.

A very fine review, thanks Lego12! :thumbup:

The set design´s really neat and pretty clever. The modular approach is smart,

the MFs´re sweet and almost lush in appearance. There´re some nice details

like that small bridge and that jewel filled cranny. The included amount of humor´s

also very nice. Pirates, finally, à gogo on! :pir-sweet:

This is a magnificent set!!!

Now i don't have to buy a power miners set to get the dynamite :pir_laugh2:

I love that pearly gold hook on the first pirate.

Is it me or does the second pirate look like he isn't wearing any pants?

Edited by Tinn-man

How am I expected to finish the day now with these wonderful images floating in my mind? I will end up a slobbering mess.

Thanks for the nice review! I guess I know what I'll be getting first in January. :pir-classic: But I'll actually probably wait a little bit because I have to shop at TRU where prices go up $5-$20.

I find it a great set with lovely minifigures (in fact all the Pirate sets are fine for me),...

also this will be my first set that I gone buy in years,...

and here will end my dark-Lego-ages... :pir-laugh:

The only thing I hope, is that the blue soldier will come out to.

Awesome review Lego12! Thank you for sharing this very nice review of a great set. I can't wait to get my hands on this and the other new Pirate sets.

Pirates are back! - YES!!!

I edited the review and made better sentences and I made it more enjoyable to read with the help of WhiteFang! :pir-classic: I hope you guys will enjoy my second pirate review tomorrow, :pir-sweet: Loot Island!

My favourite thing about this set is the minifigs. Printed on both sides of the torso! Fantastic! :wub: Thanks for the great review, Lego12! :thumbup:

~Peace