Sign in to follow this  
Lord Of Pies

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 1747 Pirates Treasure Surprise

How do you rate this set  

20 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 1 - Terrible

Yes it is time for another review, this month we bring you: 1747 Pirates Treasure Surprise!

Overview

Set 1747 was released in 1996 in the dying years of the Pirate theme at the low price of $2. Not surprising really as it only contains 1 figure and 21 pieces. A sort of impulse set of the day!

The Full review

The set includes one minifig, which for once isn't a common stripe-vested sailor with bandana but a grey bearded, tri-corn wearing castaway! The printing of the minifigs mouth is a bit crooked, but it is only a minor niggle, over all it is a great minifig, a change to the older pirates.

pa310698.jpg

The sets main play feature, well when I say main I mean only, is a simple rock, no fancy techniques used here, just a simple folding piece.

pc020702.jpg

And here is the surprise bit: 4 gold coins are concealed away within the rock, along with a yellow goblet.

pa310700.jpg

pa310701.jpg

A shot from the side, as you can see the back is very plain, but that is not a surprise for such a cheap set.

pa310702.jpg

A shot from the side, showing the palm leaf.

pb300701.jpg

"'Tis my treasure, me heartie!"

pa310707.jpg

In conclusion I think it is a good small pirate set, if you are looking to build a more varied pirate crew for your ship, also it seems to go very cheaply on Ebay, I got mine for only 1 pence.

Comments/criticism/pies/and thoughts about the set welcome as always! *y*

Took me a while to get this again (I lost my original, don't start I've been recriminating for years... it's one of only two lost sets since I was a wee boy...) not because of it's scarcity, but because I wanted a good deal and it was never high on the priority list.

I like the figure (works for castle) and while he makes the stripes look a tad ordinary by comparison he is a welcome addition to any ocean... ; )

The gold and old grey are also very welcome...

Thanks for the review and God Bless,

Nathan

I got mine for only 1 pence.

ONE PENCE?!

Very good, now onto the set.

If I was into Lego Pirates at this age I would have bought them, I'm sad that I wasonly 2 years old. If one bought lots of these and redcoat torsos it would be a great army builder! They should of made these with Imperial Bluecoats or Redcoats.

A good set, though.

I only have two pirate sets, the islander catamaran and this set! Nice to see a review of it. I :wub: tricorns!

:skull:

I only have two pirate sets, the islander catamaran and this set! Nice to see a review of it. I :wub: tricorns!

That's the other set I lost... errr.... what are the odds?

God Bless,

Nathan

That's the other set I lost... errr.... what are the odds?

Oo-er... I got them as presents too, so you never know where they may have come from... :sceptic::tongue:

This is a nice little set and a great pirate minifig. And the minifig can make a great civillian as well.

Could be a good army builder as well, but there should have been a few more small sets like this (or "skeleton crew") at the time (with different minifigs of course), because it would be kinda wierd to have a 100 of these and just 2 or 3 of the others (or at least it would be with the rough and unorganised pirates faction).

Edited by Fluyt

I gave it a four, it's a nice little set with Black Jack Hawkins and a couple coins. Overall its just like the size of the current impulse sets and is good for the price.

Oo-er... I got them as presents too, so you never know where they may have come from... :sceptic::tongue:

Makes you wonder... :pir_bawling:

God Bless,

Nathan

In conclusion I think it is a good small pirate set, if you are looking to build a more varied pirate crew for your ship, also it seems to go very cheaply on Ebay, I got mine for only 1 pence.

1 PENCE!!! I bet that didn't include postage!

Pirate LEGO seems to sell ridiculously cheap in the UK - I've been watching the auctions below and I'm constantly thinking "that would see for so much more here"

1 PENCE!!! I bet that didn't include postage!

Pirate LEGO seems to sell ridiculously cheap in the UK - I've been watching the auctions below and I'm constantly thinking "that would see for so much more here"

Yeah, it's crazy. I remember the Enchanted Island review noting how cheap they go, but in the US, I haven't found the right one yet apparently. It really would be easier in the UK for some reason...

Perhaps we should seriously consider moving to the UK so we can take advantage of all this cheap Pirate LEGO on eBay?