Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I just wish I could see them first hand to know if I want it or not, wish I could see every lego set first hand....who wouldn't?

Why not check out the EB reviews of these sets?

Rick's suggestion is excellent, the reviews here are the best. Is there a Lego User Group near you? Might be worth looking into.

I have both sets, as well as every Friends set released. Creator sets are nice for several reasons. First, it's like getting three sets in one. Often you'll see people say they love the first model so much that they don't want to take it apart to build the others. I think that's definitely true, and if I had unlimited funds I'd never take apart my Creator sets, but I don't so I do. Another thing is that they are great parts packs. I bought some of my first Creator houses to get more doors and windows. I still look at them mostly as parts packs, but the models are so much fun to build it's hard to part them out. You don't usually get a lot of exotic pieces, but if you want plates, bricks, slopes, you'll find them.

Friends on the other hand are very different sets. You don't get as many pieces for your dollar (insert local currency here), but the pieces you do get are more unusual and interesting. If you want more pastel colors you'll definitely find them in Friends. Likewise if you want minifig accessories, unusual doors and windows, etc.

As you note, they also have very different designs. LEGO Creator tends toward closed back sets, whereas Friends has open sets often with no roof. I have kids as home, so Friends and City sets work better for them than Creator, but you can modify the Creator designs if you want to have them be more open.

It's a tough call, both are really great lines, but for very different reasons. Since you got these at a good price, I'd keep them. If you want to try Friends, look for the Cafe, in my opinion the best set so far (but they are all great, so not by much). Last week it could be found for about 33% off, so you might be able to pick it up for about $20USD if you keep an eye out.

I guess it all depends on what you would like to do with those sets. I have kids and so they play with City, Friends, Sponge Bob, Monster Fighters etc. Sometimes our Lego town will include all of them together. When I bought Creator Seaside House, I did not expect it to blend in so well with ... the Glove World from Sponge Bob. I do not like Sponge Bob theme, so I removed the characters, but left the Ferris Wheel and ticket stand/ ice-cream booth. The Creator Seaside House has the same color scheme and if you build a variation with the small house and the drink shack, combined with the Glove World it makes a nice little theme park. We added Friends Heartlake Vet set to our town too, but it was separated from the theme park by the road plate and it did not look too bad together. No, it was not seamless look of a street made entirely of Lego modulars, but for playing and not displaying it looke fine. I actually want to add Creator Lighthouse to our town now, I think it will still look fine.

I have both sets (more than 1 of each) and I am satisfied with both of them. The models are nice, and for someone new, it's great to have a chance to build 3 in 1 models. You get to build more, and brickwised, it's a nice selection of bricks, that can be used in different themes. So, if you already got the sets, keep them! They're worth it. Make it more challenging, and try to build something with bricks from both sets - you'll see their value. For future purchases, it's always great (and smart) to check set reviews before buying sets.

It does really come down to what you want to do both from a point of play and also as they are your sets and only you can decided.

I would say that both of these Creator sets are great little buildings and will fit well with a City layout as many have said. OK they don't open up like you want but you can easily mod that with a few extra bricks and parts. Have you tried that yet, it is so easy really if you have the bits to do and will make them so much more playable in the way that you like whilst maintaing the overall look.

Friends on the other hand are very different sets. You don't get as many pieces for your dollar (insert local currency here), but the pieces you do get are more unusual and interesting. If you want more pastel colors you'll definitely find them in Friends. Likewise if you want minifig accessories, unusual doors and windows, etc.

On a slightly off-topic note, Olivia's House was (for me) THE best way to get 1x6x5 wall panels in tan, along with a nice assortment of 1x1x5 and 1x2x5 tan wall panels. These parts are VERY useful for a variety of builds, so if you do decide to buy a Friends set, this is the one I'd recommend. :wink:

Hey guys, do you think it would be worth it getting Shelob attacks?

The thing is I dont know what Im going to do with anouther giant

spider. But on the other hand its a pretty cheap set. Im so confused!

Hey guys, do you think it would be worth it getting Shelob attacks?

Depends on why you'd want to get it. If you just need it for Sam, then you can probably just get the figure cheaper somewhere else. Otherwise, it sounds like you don't have a use for Shelob and you probably already have a Frodo and maybe a Gollum. Personally, I think it's a worthwhile set.

Rick

Thanks for the link as I couldn't find any of the creator line review anywhere. I really don't know why we don't have a general review section that list each Lego theme by alphabets? Yes I been reading a lot of the review on here and it really is top notch!

I want to say that even though I'm consider an AFOL I am not a modeler and I like to play with my Lego like a kid because I never had a childhood. With that said, how is the apple tree house and the lighthouse island in term of play ability? When I asked if it fit in with Lego City, I did not mean if it fit in modeling wise, but rather if it is Lego mini-figures scale? I ask this because the creator line "dog" is ugly and does not look like a normal "dog".

Thanks

Rick

Thanks for the link as I couldn't find any of the creator line review anywhere. I really don't know why we don't have a general review section that list each Lego theme by alphabets? Yes I been reading a lot of the review on here and it really is top notch!

I want to say that even though I'm consider an AFOL I am not a modeler and I like to play with my Lego like a kid because I never had a childhood. With that said, how is the apple tree house and the lighthouse island in term of play ability? When I asked if it fit in with Lego City, I did not mean if it fit in modeling wise, but rather if it is Lego mini-figures scale? I ask this because the creator line "dog" is ugly and does not look like a normal "dog".

Thanks

They've recently - within the last year or so - started putting a minifig into the Creator buildings, they are minifig scale. The other Creator offerings such as vehicles aren't minifig scale.

I understand that the Creator line's mission is to make everything (including dogs) out of bricks but, like I said, they've started putting minifigs into the buildings. The lighthouse has one, does Apple Tree House, I forget?

I am thinking about getting it, and converting it into an ancient tower with modern decorations... Or maybe just leave it as it is. Is this a good buy? Or do you think that there are better sets that can do this?

~Dem

i'd say buy it either way. It looks great as a modular and has a lot of useful parts for MOCs once you're done displaying it.

This type of question belongs in the 'Which Set Should I Buy' topic. Merging!

While this is randomly off topic, I have a quick question... Where is the cheapest place to get a big lot, at least 20, lego books? The pieces, such as those in the Harry Potter sets...

I know they are not out yet but I am finding it difficult after the close up video on the TMNT sets.

Should I buy:

The TDKR rises set and the Batboat set.

OR

The Turtle Lair Attack and Kraang's Lab Escape.

OR

Kraang's Lab Escape, Shredder's Dragon Bike and The Stealth Shell Pursuit.

I'd go with the batman option, less cartoonish in my opinion, and better bricks for war mocs... Also, the sensei in TMNT looks like he is wearing a dress in that one set.. .-.

Guys this is my 2nd month of Lego and I have yet to received any of my set I ordered yet so MOC is out of the question. Most of you guys probably have years of experience and probably have Lego as a kid which also help open up your creativity and imagination I would imagine. I can't even build my own house in "the Sims". Lego is very overwhelming and I wouldn't even know where to start to learn how to MOC nor do I have the pieces needed. Copying other people MOC would not be too bad but finding those pieces would cost me an arm and a leg. From review on here and youtube, I'm going to return both my creator set because they really offer no play ability other than for modeling purposes.

Hmm, I grew up with Legos, so I never think about those sort of things... My previous collection is still with me as well, not that I am LEGALLY done growing up yet. ;)

However, I can get that they can be frustrating at first... If you really want a starter Lego set, I'd go for DUPLO, or just really Big bricks, even Megablocks (PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME FOR MENTIONING THE NAME) if you would like, in the process of learning, it hasn't a difference in the earliest stages...

When I was younger, I never had Duplo. I had a mixture of generic Lego buckets, and generic Megablocks buckets. Approach Lego more like an architectural feat for the most satisfying feeling once your project is done... And creator sets are very usable... Just reassemble them any way you like. Lego was made to only be limited by your imagination.

~Dem

PS: If for some reason I was a little vague in my words, I apologize.

So judging by my budget for the next couple months or so I should have enough for the TDK Rises set and maybe a 30-40 one this month. Any have recommendations, preferably in Star Wars or one of The Hobbit sets?

I have $15 worth of VIP points and I'm eyeing the Cole NRG Spinner...

Are spinners worth the money if you aren't in to the game? If not, any alternatives that might be good?

In the case of the NRG spinners if you don't do the game then they are essentially simply a way to get the exclusive figure and a bunch of weapons. Whether or not that exclusive figure is worth te $15 is up to you. The alternative is to Bricklink it.

So judging by my budget for the next couple months or so I should have enough for the TDK Rises set and maybe a 30-40 one this month. Any have recommendations, preferably in Star Wars or one of The Hobbit sets?

9498 Saesee Tiin JSF or 79001 Attack of the Wargs are what I'd go for. If you have the other JSFs, you gotta complete the collection. And those crazy wolves are just cool.

Edited by Legocrazy81

I'd recommend the Mirkwood Forest set. You get two exclusive Elves and it is at the $30 price point. I agree the Wargs set would be nice, but I believe it is sitting at $50, so a bit out of your budget. Another option is the Barrel Escape. You get another 2 elves and 1 dwarf and 1 hobbit with some neat weapons. The problem with that set is it is TRU exclusive, so unless you can get it a little cheaper, might be out of your budget. I think it is sitting at $45 instead of $40, so not a terrible mark-up.

As far as Star Wars instead, do you have all of the existing sets? I'd recommend the Anakin's Jedi Interceptor. A nice Nute Gunray figure, a newer Anakin and Obi-Wan. I haven't built the ship itself, but I liked the figures a lot.