Jim

[MT] Technic Model Team Contest - Information Topic

Digital Entries  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Allow digital entries for this competition only?

14689581508_307ca395f2_o.png

MODEL TEAM VEHICLE

Entering the last contest (Mini Build) with a Model Team creation wasn't allowed. To compensate we are now looking for Model Team creations...and Model Team only!

We know there's a thin line between Model Team and Creator Series, so we won't be overly critical about the entries. If you want to know more about what is considered Model Team, here's an elaborate topic about it.

DESCRIPTION

Build a LEGO Model Team vehicle with a maximum size of 46 x 16 STUDS. For example:

• Truck
  • Jeep
  • Formula One Car
  • Boat
  • Helicopter

In my opinion Model Team is a model with a Technic chassis, a brick built bodywork and a couple of functions/features.

DEADLINE

Deadline date is October 3rd, 2014. Contest will be closed on Saturday the 4th, so you will have the entire Friday to build. Closing time on Saturday is whenever I feel like it (most likely after breakfast), so consider Friday to be the deadline.

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Maximum size is 46 x 16 STUDS (rear view mirrors and comparable parts sticking out don't count towards the width of the vehicle).
  • NO Electronics (PF, Mindstorms, etc) are allowed.
  • Only OFFICIAL LEGO parts.
  • No chrome unless it's official LEGO (see previous rule)
  • Ropes/Strings, rubber bands and pneumatic tubing need to be official LEGO parts.
  • Set must have at least one, preferably more, functions.
  • Aesthetics do count.
  • ONLY Model Team.

GENERAL RULES AND RESTRICTIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Decals (stickers) will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the (soon to be created) entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the (soon to be created) entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?

All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [MT].

ENTRY POST

The entry post (in the soon to be created entry topic) should contain:

• Entry name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • Promotional image (this one should kick megablocks!)

The promotional image needs to be clear and crisp image, which really shows the model in it's best way. Think of it as the image on the box. Building a great MOC is one thing, but a decent presentation really helps you to get more votes. Like the Mini Build contest a composite image is allowed.

PRIZES

For this contest the prizes aren't sponsored by TLG, so they are a bit different than you are used to. I have come across two Model Team sets, which I will donate to the 1st and 2nd place winners. Both sets are in okay condition, although they haven't fully stood the test of time. Some of the white parts have turned a bit yellowish, but I still think both sets are well worth having in your collection. The 3rd prize winner will receive a Creator set, which I more or less consider a Mini Model Team set. I will probably unpack the set and flatten the box, so I can send it using an envelop.

Disclaimer: I will send these sets out myself. When something goes wrong and the set is missing in action, I won't be able to replace it.

1st PRIZE

5580 - Highway Rig

14688967400_4aa4aecbcc_n.jpg 14872591811_fff53d0973_n.jpg

2nd PRIZE

5510 - Off-Road 4x4

14852659306_fc981b19a2_n.jpg 14895513683_e4984cbd8e_n.jpg

3rd PRIZE

31018 - Highway Cruiser

14895606113_c2fa144719_n.jpg 14689214097_fa83112970_n.jpg

Cool, I'll be going for 2nd place though, I already have the truck...

When you end up first, you are of course free to swap prizes with the runner up :sweet:

What about military vehicles? Lego wouldn't bring them on the market, but there are lots of builders out there making fantastic modelteam like models.

Great contest. If the standard of entries to this comes even close to the standard of the [MINI] contest we're in for some crackin' builds.

Good luck everyone.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to say a big 'thank you' to Jim for his outstanding generosity. Not so much a Moderator, more a generous Uncle! :sweet:

This should be interesting! Is 15x45 studs about the size of the white tow truck?

That's about 12x38, so I have expanded it a little bit.

12 wide is often used in MT models.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to say a big 'thank you' to Jim for his outstanding generosity. Not so much a Moderator, more a generous Uncle! :sweet:

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate that :thumbup:

What about military vehicles? Lego wouldn't bring them on the market, but there are lots of builders out there making fantastic modelteam like models.

There's no "it needs to be an official model" limitation. So go for it.

Of course, I am not sure the voters won't be influenced by the fact that it's military. That's up to you to decide.

Hmm. This might be interesting. I don't normally buiild Model Team. This might be a good enough reason to get out of my building comfort zone :)

Another contest!!! No rest for the wicked eh? :tongue::devil:

I'm looking forward to seeing all these entries, the model team theme can be interrupted a few different ways.

Like going old school studded or more modern curves and tile. :laugh:

Very generous with the prizes Jim! Awesome. :thumbup:

When you end up first, you are of course free to swap prizes with the runner up :sweet:

What if by freak chance the runner up doesn't want the 5580? (I'd love it but I'll never even make the top 10 :laugh:)

Also, there's no height limit? Somebody puts a skyscraper on wheels it'll be okay?

Edited by W3ird_N3rd

Maximum size is 45 x 15 STUDS (rear view mirrors and comparable sticking out parts don't count towards the width of the vehicle).

So no maximum on height? :grin: (edit: I see W3ird_N3rd had the same idea lol)

Considering some of the awesome Model Team builders I have seen around (VFracingteam, 2LegoOrNot2Lego, Bricksonwheels, konajra and Legotrucks to name a few just from Holland) this could be a very interesting contest to watch if they will enter.

Not sure if I will enter myself, lack of modern system parts is an obstacle and I don't know if I want to overcome that obstacle for a theme I don't want to built much in, unless I think of something really awesome I suppose :wink:

Edited by Appie

Only if there's a well founded reason, other than "I have something in mind which is 16 studs wide" :wink:

Only if there's a well founded reason, other than "I have something in mind which is 16 studs wide" :wink:

Biggest reason, for me, is that it is very awkward to build in uneven width with modelteam style. 16 studs wide would be perfect.

Great to have new contest, especially MT!

Edited by Milan

Great idea for a contest, Ted.

Looking forward to all the studded beauties that will surely be put forth.

I agree with polo-freak and Milan, it's akward to be building with an uneven number.

Also, do wheels count in this? If one were to make a model with a chassis that's 16 studs wide, but the wheels/threads stick out a bit, will it be disqualified?

Edited by W3ird_N3rd

You don't need to make it 15 wide?! Go for 14 :laugh:

I don't mind if the wheels stick out a stud or two.

I have never made my own MOC, but I love to see and build other people creations. Im really looking forward to see the entries for this competition and "eerlijk is eerlijk": Jim youre an awsome guy by putting these prices on the table by yourself, respect!

You don't need to make it 15 wide?! Go for 14 :laugh:

I don't mind if the wheels stick out a stud or two.

Something similar I just thought of: what about things like rear-view mirrors? Or extras, like the shovel on the 5510?

Simply put, is the 15-studs rule just for the main chassis?

[edit]Milan, I overlooked that, thx![/edit]

I have never made my own MOC, but I love to see and build other people creations. Im really looking forward to see the entries for this competition and "eerlijk is eerlijk": Jim youre an awsome guy by putting these prices on the table by yourself, respect!

I think an acceptable translation would be "truth be told". And I agree!

Edited by W3ird_N3rd

Something similar I just thought of: what about things like rear-view mirrors? Or extras, like the shovel on the 5510?

There is a rule in the first post which says yes, you can make rear view mirrors, they aren't counted as width :)

Sounds like another fantastic contest!

Most of my studded parts are old and in storage under the house, but this contest may be a good reason for me to dust off my old LEGO. I'd kinda like to build a model of my grandfather's old 1947 Ford 2 ton truck that I may be restoring.

I have school starting up tomorrow, so there might not be any time for this contest, but we'll see how busy I end up being.

Edited by dhc6twinotter